Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Roberto Ragusa

Default fedora 12 KVM virtulization question

mantra UNIX wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a laptop dual booting "Windows XP" and "Fedora 12".
>
> I would like to boot "Windows XP" from inside "Fedora 12" using the KVM
> virtulization feature.
>
> I am using the following command and it works, but very very slow, takes
> long time to even get the login screen, any ideas ...
>
> # qemu /dev/sda

Are you sure you are using the hardware virtualization feature?
In particular:

Is the feature present in your CPU? (/proc/cpuinfo)
Is it not disabled in the BIOS? (/var/log/messages)
Do you have the right module loaded? (lsmod)
Are you sure you should not run qemu-kvm instead of qemu?

Best regards.
Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
mantra UNIX

Roberto,

Is the feature present in your CPU? (/proc/cpuinfo)
YES

Is it not disabled in the BIOS? (/var/log/messages)
Its enabled in BIOS

Do you have the right module loaded? (lsmod)
kvm shows up in the list

Are you sure you should not run qemu-kvm instead of qemu?
I tried qemu-kvm with same results.

Regards.

* Roberto Ragusa * *mail at robertoragusa.it

mantra - Instrument of Thought

Old 03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Steven Stern

On 03/03/2010 12:26 AM, mantra UNIX wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a laptop dual booting "Windows XP" and "Fedora 12".
>
> I would like to boot "Windows XP" from inside "Fedora 12" using the KVM
> virtulization feature.
>
> I am using the following command and it works, but very very slow, takes
> long time to even get the login screen, any ideas ...
>
> # qemu /dev/sda
>

> --
> Regards,
> mantra - Instrument of Thought

I couldn't get KVM to work on my PC. Instead, I'm using the non-OSE
version of VirtualBox. XP runs well, boots very quickly, and interacts
well with Fedora. They supply a repo for use with Yum... see
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

--
-- Steve

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Brian Micek

I've had the same problem with KVM running Windows and gave up. I looked
into it and could not find a good explanation nor a workaround. Other
Linux's inside KVM work fine and Windows inside VmWare or VirtualBox on a
Linux host also runs fine.

Brian

* Roberto Ragusa * *mail at robertoragusa.it

mantra - Instrument of Thought

Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
suvayu ali

Hi,

On 3 March 2010 07:26, mantra UNIX <unix.mantra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a laptop dual booting "Windows XP" and "Fedora 12".
>
> I would like to boot "Windows XP" from inside "Fedora 12" using the KVM
> virtulization feature.
>
> I am using the following command and it works, but very very slow, takes
> long time to even get the login screen, any ideas ...
>
> *** # qemu* /dev/sda

That command doesn't use hardware virtualization even if its enabled.
To use kvm you need to use qemu-kvm.

--
Suvayu

Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Roberto Ragusa

mantra UNIX wrote:
> Roberto,
>
> Is the feature present in your CPU? (/proc/cpuinfo)
> YES
>
> Is it not disabled in the BIOS? (/var/log/messages)
> Its enabled in BIOS
>
> Do you have the right module loaded? (lsmod)
> kvm shows up in the list
>
> Are you sure you should not run qemu-kvm instead of qemu?
> I tried qemu-kvm with same results.

Your disk is /dev/sda, so you are running a preexisting
WinXP installation done on real hardware.

There is a known performance issue with WinXP in ACPI mode.
(google "qemu kvm slow").

I have WinXP running (I'd say flying) inside kvm, but
my installation was done inside kvm.
You could try to disable ACPI in your XP installation;
XP can have many hardware profiles (not sure if ACPI
is selectable at that level).

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Bill Davidsen

mantra UNIX wrote:
> Roberto,
>
> Is the feature present in your CPU? (/proc/cpuinfo)
> YES
>
> Is it not disabled in the BIOS? (/var/log/messages)
> Its enabled in BIOS
>
> Do you have the right module loaded? (lsmod)
> kvm shows up in the list
>
> Are you sure you should not run qemu-kvm instead of qemu?
> I tried qemu-kvm with same results.
>
> Regards.
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Roberto Ragusa <mail@robertoragusa.it
> <mailto:mail@robertoragusa.it>> wrote:
>
> mantra UNIX wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a laptop dual booting "Windows XP" and "Fedora 12".
> >
> > I would like to boot "Windows XP" from inside "Fedora 12" using
> the KVM
> > virtulization feature.
> >
> > I am using the following command and it works, but very very
> slow, takes
> > long time to even get the login screen, any ideas ...
> >
> > # qemu /dev/sda
>
> Are you sure you are using the hardware virtualization feature?
> In particular:
>
> Is the feature present in your CPU? (/proc/cpuinfo)
> Is it not disabled in the BIOS? (/var/log/messages)
> Do you have the right module loaded? (lsmod)
> Are you sure you should not run qemu-kvm instead of qemu?

You should be running qemu-kvm, as a user with rw permissions on /dev/kvm. ie.
root or group kvm.If you are running Fedora off the same disk the access
definitely might be slowed, but should work in reasonable time.

I'm not sure about the command as you showed it, I run a number of VMs on this
machine (this is a VM), and I would expect to use something like:
qemu-kvm -m 768 -hda /dev/sda -net nic -vga-std

or similar as a start.

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>