-   -   disk druid !!!!! why like this ??? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/334918-disk-druid-why-like.html)

Jatin K 03-03-2010 04:24 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

Dear *,

I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
hard-disk )

I'm trying to create following partition layout

device size mount-point
hda1 100mb /boot

hda2 500mb swap

hda3 5000mb /

hda4 4500mb Extended partition

hda5 500mb /var

hda6 1000mb /var/www

hda7 2000mb /home

hda8 1000mb /usr

I've done this on disk druid

licked on new ---> mount point */boot *filesystem type ext3 100MB (
fixed sized is selected ) and it becomes hda1

again licked on new ----> filesystem type Swap 500MB ( fixed sized is
selected ) and it becomes hda2 ...

now creating / ( root ) partition

again clicked on new ---> mount point */* filesystem type ext3 5000mb (
fixed sized is selected ) ... now something happens as soon as I press ok

the swap partition is sifted to hda3 (previously it was on hda2 ) and /
partition goes to hda2

if I go ahead with this and create other partition / goes to hda5

why like this ????

how do I exactly maintain the said order of the partition in exercise ??

/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

Mihamina Rakotomandimby 03-03-2010 05:45 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

> Jatin K <ssh.fedora@gmail.com> :
> I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
> hard-disk )

I dont understand why is it really a problem.

> if I go ahead with this and create other partition / goes to hda5
> why like this ????

On old disks, and I dont know the real reasons, you only have 4 primary
partitions.
The other partitions over those 4 are "logical" ones.

Logical partitions are hda5+

When you created 4 primary partitions, the system automatically create
the 4th one as extended and places the other partitions are hda5+.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Jatin K 03-03-2010 06:00 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

On 03/03/2010 12:15 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> Jatin K<ssh.fedora@gmail.com> :
>> I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
>> hard-disk )
>>
> I dont understand why is it really a problem.

*what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points *

Mihamina Rakotomandimby 03-03-2010 06:07 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

> Jatin K <ssh.fedora@gmail.com> :
> On 03/03/2010 12:15 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
>>> hard-disk )
>> I dont understand why is it really a problem.
> what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
> partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points

Oh, that is not a "problem", that just a fact you cant explain.
Once you can explain it, it's OK.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Jatin K 03-03-2010 06:13 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

On 03/03/2010 12:37 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> Jatin K<ssh.fedora@gmail.com> :

>>> I dont understand why is it really a problem.
>>>
>> what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
>> partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points
>>
> Oh, that is not a "problem", that just a fact you cant explain.
> Once you can explain it, it's OK.

how will you make the examiner understood ..... you have not created
the partition according to the question .... you are probably going
towards failure

as your partition is not matching the said layout

/(_)

Mihamina Rakotomandimby 03-03-2010 06:22 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

> Jatin K <ssh.fedora@gmail.com> :
>>> what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
>>> partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points
>> Oh, that is not a "problem", that just a fact you cant explain.
>> Once you can explain it, it's OK.
> how will you make the examiner understood.....

Is the examinator a robot?

> you have not created the partition according to the question ....
> you are probably going towards failure
> as your partition is not matching the said layout

Well, I am going to do the exam for you, dont forget to send me the
certificate :-)
Create the "extended" partition at the 3rd place.

Or use "fdisk" or "cfdisk", where you may name the rank of the
partition.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Mike McCarty 03-03-2010 06:47 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

Jatin K wrote:
> On 03/03/2010 12:15 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> Jatin K<ssh.fedora@gmail.com> :
>>> I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
>>> hard-disk )
>>>
>> I dont understand why is it really a problem.
>>

> *what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
> partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points *

*I* don't understand why this subject keeps coming up.

You seem to think that the examiners don't understand how an
MBR style PT works. Anyone who understands how volume creation
on PTs works understands why those are "extended" partitions
(or volumes in older terminology).

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Jatin K 03-03-2010 07:05 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

On 03/03/2010 01:17 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Jatin K wrote:

>>> I dont understand why is it really a problem.
>>>

>> *what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
>> partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points *
>>
> *I* don't understand why this subject keeps coming up.
>
> You seem to think that the examiners don't understand how an
> MBR style PT works. Anyone who understands how volume creation
> on PTs works understands why those are "extended" partitions
> (or volumes in older terminology).
>
> Mike

fdisk works perfectly and maintains the partition order as per the
desired layout ....... but still size issue is there ... if you select
+100M ...it will create 95MB partition

/(_)

Mike McCarty 03-03-2010 07:26 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

Jatin K wrote:
> On 03/03/2010 01:17 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Jatin K wrote:

>>> *what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
>>> partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points *
>>>
>> *I* don't understand why this subject keeps coming up.
>>
>> You seem to think that the examiners don't understand how an
>> MBR style PT works. Anyone who understands how volume creation
>> on PTs works understands why those are "extended" partitions
>> (or volumes in older terminology).
>>
>> Mike
>>
> fdisk works perfectly and maintains the partition order as per the
> desired layout ....... but still size issue is there ... if you select
> +100M ...it will create 95MB partition

I guess I wasn't clear. The subject I don't understand why it
keeps coming up is about some exam looming in the future,
not fdisk.

Mike

Gene Heskett 03-03-2010 09:13 AM

disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Jatin K wrote:
>Dear *,
>
>I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
>hard-disk )
>
>I'm trying to create following partition layout

>----------- device size mount-point
>----------- hda1 100mb /boot
>
>hda2 500mb swap
>
>hda3 5000mb /
>
>hda4 4500mb Extended partition
>
>hda5 500mb /var
>
>hda6 1000mb /var/www
>
>hda7 2000mb /home
>
>hda8 1000mb /usr
>--------------
>
>I've done this on disk druid
>
>licked on new ---> mount point */boot *filesystem type ext3 100MB (
>fixed sized is selected ) and it becomes hda1
>
>again licked on new ----> filesystem type Swap 500MB ( fixed sized is
>selected ) and it becomes hda2 ...
>
>now creating / ( root ) partition
>
>again clicked on new ---> mount point */* filesystem type ext3 5000mb (
>fixed sized is selected ) ... now something happens as soon as I press ok
>
>the swap partition is sifted to hda3 (previously it was on hda2 ) and /
>partition goes to hda2
>
>if I go ahead with this and create other partition / goes to hda5
>

>why like this ????
>
>how do I exactly maintain the said order of the partition in exercise ??

Simple, don't use disk destroyer, its busted. I had a heck of a time when I
installed F10, and f10 was slow as a drugged 3 legged dog. Stable for the
most part but slow. The I started getting problem reports from smartd about
that disk. So I went and got another disk, and used gparted to prepare it as
I wanted it to be, with a few more partitions etc with the sizing based on
previous experience. I labeled them all, put ext3 journals on them, and
rsync'ed them from the failing disk, and did a grub install on the new disk
and fixed /etc/fstab to use label mounts as the last thing I did before a
shutdown to remove the failing disk and move the new one to the sata0 jack.
I had to do a boot from the install dvd in rescue mode and do the grub
install again for some reason. But when I had rebooted from the dvd to the
new disk, the first thing I noticed was a very obviously noticeable speedup
of the system even from the boot verbosity, and now, nearly a year later,
that speedup remains.

But its blasphemous to pan disk destroyer in these here parts, so I keep
quiet about it most of the time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)