Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Gene Heskett

Default disk druid !!!!! why like this ???

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Jatin K wrote:
>On 03/03/2010 01:17 PM, Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Jatin K wrote:

>>> *what if you are on RHCE exam ...... and question is related to
>>> partitioning a hdd in said partitions and mount points *
>>
>> *I* don't understand why this subject keeps coming up.
>>
>> You seem to think that the examiners don't understand how an
>> MBR style PT works. Anyone who understands how volume creation
>> on PTs works understands why those are "extended" partitions
>> (or volumes in older terminology).
>>
>> Mike
>
>fdisk works perfectly and maintains the partition order as per the
>desired layout ....... but still size issue is there ... if you select
>+100M ...it will create 95MB partition

And that is entirely the filesystems usage is what it is, it reserves about
5% that it can use that is not available to you, the full 100M exists before
mk2efs is run to setup the filesystem itself.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It's faster horses,
Younger women,
Older whiskey and
More money.
-- Tom T. Hall, "The Secret of Life"

Old 03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Mikkel

On 03/03/2010 12:45 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> Jatin K <ssh.fedora@gmail.com> :
>> I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
>> hard-disk )
>
> I dont understand why is it really a problem.
>
>> if I go ahead with this and create other partition / goes to hda5
>> why like this ????
>
> On old disks, and I dont know the real reasons, you only have 4 primary
> partitions.
> The other partitions over those 4 are "logical" ones.
>
> Logical partitions are hda5+
>
> When you created 4 primary partitions, the system automatically create
> the 4th one as extended and places the other partitions are hda5+.

It is not old disks - it is the way the DOS partition table was
defined - there is only enough space for 4 primary partitions. Or
you can use 1 or more primary partition as an extended partition,
and add logical partitions to that.

There are other types of partition tables that do not have this
problem. But they do not work with all BIOSs and definitely do not
work with Windows. I have run into some BIOSs that insist on a
primary partition that is marked boot before they will try and boot
from the drive.

Mikkel