Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Temlakos

Default F12-i386-DVD iso won't burn properly -- SOLVED

Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Temlakos <temlakos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sadly, I don't seem to have wodim on my system. (I never upgraded beyond
>> FC6, if that explains anything.) How do I get it?
>>

> FC6 would have cdrecord. I think wodim and cdrecord have compatible
> command-line options. If I remember correctly, there was some problem
> with cdrecord's license, so wodim was developed as a drop-in
> replacement.
>
> But if you want to give wodim a try anyway, it shouldn't be hard to
> build from source. Let me find it for you...
>
> http://www.cdrkit.org/
>
> But if you're not a programmer, do try out cdrecord before attempting
> to build wodim yourself.
>
> Don Quixote

Happily, I substituted "cdrecord" for "wodim" in that command line.
Forty minutes later, I now have a disk that I have every reason to
suppose will work as intended. The burn surface looks as though it
accepted a burn of about 3 GB, and cdrecord returned only one warning
(concerning the wrong startsec variable, or something) but no error
messages, fatal or otherwise.

Now in case anyone is still wondering what went wrong before: I was
using GUI tools--first the file browser (nautilus), and then GnomeBaker.
My hardware is very old--a Pentium III with 500 MiB of RAM.

I am going to install Fedora 12 on a new piece of hardware:

HP Pavillion A6528P Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.2 GHz - 3GB RAM -
500GB HDD

I have also acquired a new wide-screen monitor with twice the pixel
width of the first widescreens that came out.

I am reasonably confident that Fedora 12 should work on that hardware.
Of course, that's why I burnt a Live CD, so that I can be sure. But if
any of you believe that I might have issues with that hardware, please
tell me.

Thanks for the command-line tip.

Thanks also to the user who offered to send me an already-burnt disk. I
might not be needing that, however.

Temlakos

Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

Good for you!

When you first boot the install CD, it presents the option of
validating the DVD contents, to ensure that you really do have a good
burn. Let it do that check at least once. If the test every
succeeds, it will probably always succeed, but you sure don't want to
try to install from a disk where that test would fail.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 03-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Mike McCarty

Temlakos wrote:
> Happily, I substituted "cdrecord" for "wodim" in that command line.
> Forty minutes later, I now have a disk that I have every reason to
> suppose will work as intended. The burn surface looks as though it
> accepted a burn of about 3 GB, and cdrecord returned only one warning
> (concerning the wrong startsec variable, or something) but no error
> messages, fatal or otherwise.

I have used K3b for several years, and never had a problem with it.
If you prefer the GUI way, then I recommend it. It's a front end
to cdrecord.

> Now in case anyone is still wondering what went wrong before: I was
> using GUI tools--first the file browser (nautilus), and then GnomeBaker.
> My hardware is very old--a Pentium III with 500 MiB of RAM.

I don't like KDE, but the GNOME tools for CDs and DVDs I've
had problems with. Never K3b.

I've also used xcdroast, which I've also not had problems with,
but it's complicated, and stuff in it is hard for me to find.
I find K3b much more intuitive.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Tony Nelson

On 10-03-02 11:26:09, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> Good for you!
>
> When you first boot the install CD, it presents the option of
> validating the DVD contents, to ensure that you really do have a good
> burn. Let it do that check at least once. If the test every
> succeeds, it will probably always succeed, but you sure don't want to
> try to install from a disk where that test would fail.

That test often fails due to a kernel issue, making good media seem
bad. I prefer to compare the bits with:

# cmp /dev/dvd /path/to/iso

If the dvd matches the iso: if there is no kernel issue there will be
no output; else it will complain about eof on the iso file. If the dvd
does not match the iso, there will be a specific complaint about the
first mismatch.

Burning and testing all fits nicely into one command line (split here):

# ( date ; growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/iso ; date ;

Old 03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
John Aldrich

On Tuesday 02 March 2010, Mike McCarty wrote:

> I have used K3b for several years, and never had a problem with it.
> If you prefer the GUI way, then I recommend it. It's a front end
> to cdrecord.

[snip]
> I don't like KDE, but the GNOME tools for CDs and DVDs I've
> had problems with. Never K3b.
>
> I've also used xcdroast, which I've also not had problems with,
> but it's complicated, and stuff in it is hard for me to find.
> I find K3b much more intuitive.

+1 for K3B. OTOH, I didn't see it on my system the last few times I tried
to burn a CD/DVD so I used Brasero and it worked well for me.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Andre Robatino

Tony Nelson wrote:

> That test often fails due to a kernel issue, making good media seem
> bad. I prefer to compare the bits with:

> # cmp /dev/dvd /path/to/iso

> If the dvd matches the iso: if there is no kernel issue there will
> be no output; else it will complain about eof on the iso file. If
> the dvd does not match the iso, there will be a specific complaint
> about the first mismatch.

Reading /dev/dvd in general is not reliable since depending on the
hardware, it may not read exactly the right number of bytes (hopefully,
it will at least read >= the right number, which means your command
would either give an EOF error if the number was greater, or say the
files are identical if it's the same).

I use the rawread script from

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm#rawread

which automatically reads the correct size of the ISO, and runs a dd
command reading exactly that much off the disc. This way I can just
check the hash directly, like this:

rawread /dev/dvd | sha256sum

which only requires reading the optical disc.

To deal with the linux readahead bug, the ISO must be zero-padded before
burning. Cdrecord/wodim has such an option (see the above page).
Instead, I use the isopad script at

http://ftp.cs.utoronto.ca/pub/hugh/isopad

I put both the rawread and isopad scripts in ~/bin with execute
permissions so they're available as regular commands. My burning
procedure is:

1) Download DVD ISO, check its hash.
2) Pad the ISO with "isopad + dvd.iso".
3) Burn with command

growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=1 -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.iso

(preferably as root on an unloaded machine to give it every advantage).

4) Verify the burn with "rawread /dev/dvd | sha256sum" (should give the
hash of the UNpadded ISO), or do a mediacheck.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 20:24 -0500, Andre Robatino wrote:
> I use the rawread script from
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm#rawread
>
> which automatically reads the correct size of the ISO, and runs a dd
> command reading exactly that much off the disc.

I have to ask: Why doesn't the installer's self test routine work that
way? This problem has been around for *years*.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Mike McCarty

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 20:24 -0500, Andre Robatino wrote:
>> I use the rawread script from
>>
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm#rawread
>>
>> which automatically reads the correct size of the ISO, and runs a dd
>> command reading exactly that much off the disc.
>
> I have to ask: Why doesn't the installer's self test routine work that
> way? This problem has been around for *years*.

How would you embed the checksum in the image, without knowing what
the image's checksum is? To put it another way, when you put the
checksum in the image, the checksum of the image changes due to
the embedding. Usually, with a ROM, say, one writes an image, and
computes the checksum in such a manner that by putting it into
the location reserved for it (which was originally filled with
all zeroes), the checksum of the whole image is zero. However,
this is only reasonable for small, not cryptographically secure,
checksums. It won't work for MD5 or SHA1, for example, because
there is no reasonable way to do it. That's what we mean by
"cryptographically secure". It isn't feasible.

A smaller, and less robust checksum isn't adequate for checking
an image which is GB in size. A 16 bit CRC is ok for a 1MB ROM.
It isn't robust enough for a 5GB ISO image.

Mike

Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Tony Nelson

On 10-03-02 20:24:03, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:
>
> > That test often fails due to a kernel issue, making good media seem
> > bad. I prefer to compare the bits with:
>
> > # cmp /dev/dvd /path/to/iso
>
> > If the dvd matches the iso: if there is no kernel issue there will
> > be no output; else it will complain about eof on the iso file. If
> > the dvd does not match the iso, there will be a specific complaint
> > about the first mismatch.
>
> Reading /dev/dvd in general is not reliable since depending on the
> hardware, it may not read exactly the right number of bytes
> (hopefully, it will at least read >= the right number, which means
> your command would either give an EOF error if the number was
> greater, or say the files are identical if it's the same).

Reading will never return more than the requested number of bytes. It
may read past the desired end of a CD or DVD. With that in mind, read
what I wrote above. If you don't understand it, ask a question.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 AM
Tim

Andre Robatino:
>>> I use the rawread script from
>>>
>>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm#rawread
>>>
>>> which automatically reads the correct size of the ISO

Tim:
>> I have to ask: Why doesn't the installer's self test routine work that
>> way? This problem has been around for *years*.

Mike McCarty:
> How would you embed the checksum in the image, without knowing what
> the image's checksum is? To put it another way, when you put the
> checksum in the image, the checksum of the image changes due to
> the embedding.

It wasn't that chicken-and-egg situation that I was referring to, but
the long standing issue that the self check has been bad for a very long
time. If *something* *else* can manage to not read past the end of the
disc, why can't it?

In this circumstance, the checksum doesn't present that sort of problem,
because it's a fixed size. You know how many bytes it's going to use,
even if you didn't know what bytes would be in it. So, you could
certainly include the checksum on the disc and still have a known disc
*size*.

The chicken and egg problem of how do you put a checksum onto the disc
that you're going to checksum only has one simple solution: Don't.

You'd have a routine that asked for a checksum to be inputed, from some
other source, and the disc to be checked against it.