FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Jatin K
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

Dear *,

I've facing one problem ( doing partitioning practice on 10GB IDE
hard-disk )

I'm trying to create following partition layout

> *Partition*
>
>
>
> *Size*
>
>
>
> *Use*
>
>
>
> *Comment*
>
> hda1
>
>
>
> 100MB
>
>
>
> /boot
>
>
>
> Maintains boot files
>
> hda2
>
>
>
> 500MB
>
>
>
> swap
>
>
>
> Probably plenty of space
>
> hda3
>
>
>
> 5GB
>
>
>
> /
>
>
>
> The root directory
>
> hda4
>
>
>
> 4500MB
>
>
>
> Extended partition
>
>
>
> Solely a container for logical partitions
>
> hda5
>
>
>
> 500MB
>
>
>
> /var
>
>
>
> For print spool files
>
> hda6
>
>
>
> 1000MB
>
>
>
> /var/www
>
>
>
> Web services
>
> hda7
>
>
>
> 2000MB
>
>
>
> /home
>
>
>
> No interactive users
>
> hda8
>
>
>
> 1000MB
>
>
>
> /usr
>
>
>
> Additional network services
>

I've done this on disk druid

licked on new ---> mount point */boot *filesystem type ext3 100MB (
fixed sized is selected ) and it becomes hda1

again licked on new ----> filesystem type Swap 500MB ( fixed sized is
selected ) and it becomes hda2 ...

now creating / ( root ) partition

again clicked on new ---> mount point */* filesystem type ext3 5000mb (
fixed sized is selected ) ... now something happens as soon as I press ok

the swap partition is sifted to hda3 (previously it was on hda2 ) and /
partition goes to hda2

if I go ahead with this and create other partition / goes to hda5


why like this ????

how do I exactly maintain the said order of the partition in exercise ??

--

v
/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 AM
Tim
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 16:38 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
> how do I exactly maintain the said order of the partition in
> exercise ??

One answer: Use a command line tool, like fdisk, that does exactly what
you tell it to, rather than a GUI tool which works in the manner it
thinks best.

Over the last few years, I've let disk druid do its thing if I'm
prepared to accept the automatic defaults, but (part way through running
the install disc) I've usually swapped over to the command line, if I
want to do something different. And I'll set up the drive how I want
it, then go back to the install routine, and just select the partitions
I want the installer to use, without reformatting any of them.

Particularly so for servers, where I've not only wanted a specific
layout, but also wanted the reliability assurance of running a bad block
test as well as the format. When setting up a server, I'd rather spend
the time doing integrity checks beforehand, than be surprised by
something nasty much later on, when it's wrecked my work.

I don't know why disc druid re-arranges the order of partitions, I could
only guess that the author might think that certain things (boot, swap)
are better at the start or middle of the drive, and arranges things to
what they think are optimum.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Jatin K
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On 03/03/2010 11:26 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 16:38 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
>
>> how do I exactly maintain the said order of the partition in
>> exercise ??
>>
> One answer: Use a command line tool, like fdisk, that does exactly what
> you tell it to, rather than a GUI tool which works in the manner it
> thinks best.
>
> Over the last few years, I've let disk druid do its thing if I'm
> prepared to accept the automatic defaults, but (part way through running
> the install disc) I've usually swapped over to the command line, if I
> want to do something different. And I'll set up the drive how I want
> it, then go back to the install routine, and just select the partitions
> I want the installer to use, without reformatting any of them.
>
> Particularly so for servers, where I've not only wanted a specific
> layout, but also wanted the reliability assurance of running a bad block
> test as well as the format. When setting up a server, I'd rather spend
> the time doing integrity checks beforehand, than be surprised by
> something nasty much later on, when it's wrecked my work.
>
> I don't know why disc druid re-arranges the order of partitions, I could
> only guess that the author might think that certain things (boot, swap)
> are better at the start or middle of the drive, and arranges things to
> what they think are optimum.
>
>
suppose one is doing RHCE exam .... and question is to partition a
disk in said order what he/she should do ??? if disk druid changes the
partition order automatically

does partition ordering is serious matter for the RHCE exam ????
according to question swap partition should be on hda2 and / partition
should be on hda3 , what is can be done if disk druid changes the
partition order randomly ??

if any RHCE is reading this list .....please explain the matter

--
v
/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Craig White
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 11:43 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
> On 03/03/2010 11:26 AM, Tim wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 16:38 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
> >
> >> how do I exactly maintain the said order of the partition in
> >> exercise ??
> >>
> > One answer: Use a command line tool, like fdisk, that does exactly what
> > you tell it to, rather than a GUI tool which works in the manner it
> > thinks best.
> >
> > Over the last few years, I've let disk druid do its thing if I'm
> > prepared to accept the automatic defaults, but (part way through running
> > the install disc) I've usually swapped over to the command line, if I
> > want to do something different. And I'll set up the drive how I want
> > it, then go back to the install routine, and just select the partitions
> > I want the installer to use, without reformatting any of them.
> >
> > Particularly so for servers, where I've not only wanted a specific
> > layout, but also wanted the reliability assurance of running a bad block
> > test as well as the format. When setting up a server, I'd rather spend
> > the time doing integrity checks beforehand, than be surprised by
> > something nasty much later on, when it's wrecked my work.
> >
> > I don't know why disc druid re-arranges the order of partitions, I could
> > only guess that the author might think that certain things (boot, swap)
> > are better at the start or middle of the drive, and arranges things to
> > what they think are optimum.
> >
> >
> suppose one is doing RHCE exam .... and question is to partition a
> disk in said order what he/she should do ??? if disk druid changes the
> partition order automatically
>
> does partition ordering is serious matter for the RHCE exam ????
> according to question swap partition should be on hda2 and / partition
> should be on hda3 , what is can be done if disk druid changes the
> partition order randomly ??
>
> if any RHCE is reading this list .....please explain the matter
----
before you actually start with disk druid in anaconda, you just switch
to virtual console <Control><Alt><F2> and then run 'fdisk /dev/sda' and
create your partitions in fdisk, switch back to anaconda
<Control><Alt><F7> and then use the partitions you created in fdisk.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Tim
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

I'll prefix my answer by saying I don't know the RHCE exam, and that
you're asking that question in the wrong way. Write your subject line
to attract the attention of the right people, don't assume everyone
reads every message on this list.

e.g. RHCE exam query about disk druid partitioning order

Jatin K:
> suppose one is doing RHCE exam .... and question is to partition a
> disk in said order what he/she should do ??? if disk druid changes
> the partition order automatically
>
> does partition ordering is serious matter for the RHCE exam ????

I don't know... does it?

Does the exam ask about partition order, does it ask about this while
using disk druid to do the partitioning?

> according to question swap partition should be on hda2 and / partition
> should be on hda3 , what is can be done if disk druid changes the
> partition order randomly ??

I've already answered that, previously. The answer hasn't changed, and
is rather obvious:

If it is, indeed, random, then use something else. But if there is a
rule about how it orders the partition, then learn those rules. Read
documentation about disk druid, look at the source code...

> if any RHCE is reading this list .....please explain the matter

Chances are that they might not see that, because people look at the
subject lines to decide what messages to read, and you haven't written
the subject line well.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Jatin K
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On 03/03/2010 12:01 PM, Tim wrote:
> I'll prefix my answer by saying I don't know the RHCE exam, and that
> you're asking that question in the wrong way. Write your subject line
> to attract the attention of the right people, don't assume everyone
> reads every message on this list.
>
> e.g. RHCE exam query about disk druid partitioning order
>
> Jatin K:
>
>> suppose one is doing RHCE exam .... and question is to partition a
>> disk in said order what he/she should do ??? if disk druid changes
>> the partition order automatically
>>
>> does partition ordering is serious matter for the RHCE exam ????
>>
> I don't know... does it?
>
> Does the exam ask about partition order, does it ask about this while
> using disk druid to do the partitioning?
>
>
>> according to question swap partition should be on hda2 and / partition
>> should be on hda3 , what is can be done if disk druid changes the
>> partition order randomly ??
>>
> I've already answered that, previously. The answer hasn't changed, and
> is rather obvious:
>
> If it is, indeed, random, then use something else. But if there is a
> rule about how it orders the partition, then learn those rules. Read
> documentation about disk druid, look at the source code...
>
>
>> if any RHCE is reading this list .....please explain the matter
>>
> Chances are that they might not see that, because people look at the
> subject lines to decide what messages to read, and you haven't written
> the subject line well.
>
>
thank you for you reply .....

I've got the answer for craig white

will do according to him .... and let list to know if it works or not


--
v
/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> One answer: *Use a command line tool, like fdisk, that does exactly what
> you tell it to, rather than a GUI tool which works in the manner it
> thinks best.

The very best tool for partitioning exactly the way you tell it to is
sfdisk. Unfortunately it only works with Master Boot Record (MBR)
partition tables - the "Classic MS-DOS" partitions. It doesn't work
at all with GUID Partition Tables (GPT), the Apple Partition Scheme,
BSD Slices and so on. Just MBR.

But for MBR, it really is the very best tool.

Unfortunately it is a little tricky to use, so you would do well to
practice with a drive that does not contain any data at all. It need
not be a rotating drive; a USB stick will work fine. One can even
"partition" a regular file, just for practice. You'll get a warning
message, but your "partition table" really will be written into that
file in the same way that it would be written to a physical disk.

There is an interactive mode for sfdisk. Don't even try to use it -
it is the Cruel Shoes of partition table editors.

No, what makes sfdisk so cool is that it has the option of generating
a text file listing of your partition table, with the additional
option that that text file can be expressed in a format that is
machine-readible, so that you can apply a partiton map to any disk
just by reading that file back into sfdisk.

Further, it supports sector-level partition specifications. The
finest granularity a partition offset and length can have is one
sector - 512 bytes on almost all regular rotating disks. sfdisk
natively supports sector level addressing. Some other partition tools
can do that, but either discourage it or are difficult to use if one
selects sector-accurate partitions.

Some partition tools enforce the "rule" that partitions must start on
a cylinder boundary, despite that fact that hard drive cylinders
haven't represented the physical geometry of drive platters for well
over ten years. I think they enforce the cylinder rule for
compatibility with older operating systems like MS-DOS and Windows 95
that don't understand Logical Block Addressing. Every modern
operating system, as well as every modern motherboard BIOS can handle
LBA natively, so it's really quite silly to have that cylinder rule
anymore.

See "man sfdisk".

To generate a machine-readible text file from your drive's partition map:

# sfdisk -d /dev/sda > sda-mbr.txt

Replace "sda" with the device file for your entire hard drive. "sda"
is for SCSI, SAS, USB, FireWire and SAS drives. "hda" is for parallel
IDE. "hda" is the first IDE drive, "hdb" is the second.

"-d" means "dump". You can then edit sda-mbr.txt using your favorite
text editor. To then apply the revised scheme to your drive:

# sfdisk /dev/sda < sda-mbr.txt

You would do well to print hardcopies of the partition dump file for
all your drives, then tape them to the cases of each of your
computers. Also copy the text files onto some backup medium, and keep
it in a safe place.

That is the real beauty of sfdisk: it only takes a few seconds to
completely restore a totally destroyed partition table! There are
lots of ways that can happen, but most partition table editors are
completely unable to fix them. With sfdisk, it only takes a few
seconds - provided you had the foresight to save the table dump files
ahead of time!

Totally wiping or utterly corrupting your partition table, despite
popular opinion, is in no way harmful to end-user data, so long as the
corruption only affects the table itself, and not the "payload" areas
of the partitions. So long as that is the case, repairing a scragged
MBR will completely repair what most people would regard as an
unrecoverable drive.

Now, there is one other way to back up your MBR, but its usefulness
depends on your particular partition scheme:

# dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.mbr bs=512 count=1

That will copy the Master Boot Record, which includes both the
partition table and the initial boot loader, into a 512-byte binary
file. Note that any time you use dd on a physical drive - either the
whole drive device or a partition device, the "bs" - block size - must
be a multiple of 512.

To restore from that backup:

# dd if=sda.mbr of=/dev/sda bs=512

This second method, of preparing a binary back of the whole boot
sector will work if you only have primary partitions. If you have any
logical partitions, the "dd" method WILL NOT back up the logical
partitions - only the primary ones. So use it only if you're quite
certain that you know what you are doing!

The reason is that the primary and extended partitions are specified
in a table towards the end of the first 512-byte sector on the drive,
but to allow for more than four partitions, the logical partitions are
written into a linked list that can span the entire drive. sfdisk
will capture the logicals, but dd'ing the first sector will not.

I wrote a HOWTO a while back, that explains how to transfer a BeOS
installation from a physical disk partition into a disk image file
suitable for use with QEMU or VirtualBox. I needed to do that because
QEMU doesn't know how to deal with the BeOS 5 Pro installation CD, so
my workaround was to install on a real drive, then transfer it into a
virtual disk image file:

http://www.oggfrog.com/howto/emulators/

I mention this because my HOWTO beats the subject of cylinder-accurate
sfdisk completely to death.

Share and Enjoy!

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com
http://www.dulcineatech.com

Dulcinea Technologies Corporation: Software of Elegance and Beauty.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Tim
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 12:15 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
> thank you for you reply .....
>
> I've got the answer for craig white
>
> will do according to him .... and let list to know if it works or not

The same thing as what I'd already said...

I have to wonder if you're "learning to pass the test" or learning "what
you need to know to administer a system".

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Jatin K
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On 03/03/2010 02:58 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 12:15 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
>
>> thank you for you reply .....
>>
>> I've got the answer for craig white
>>
>> will do according to him .... and let list to know if it works or not
>>
> The same thing as what I'd already said...
>
> I have to wonder if you're "learning to pass the test" or learning "what
> you need to know to administer a system".
>
>
first of all you have to pass the test ( if I'm not wrong )... then and
then you only become the _certified _professional .... is it ???

if you write "I know everything about Linux/Unix "in your CV ...... I
think it will not be considerable

if you wanna write RHCE Certified in you CV .... the you have to pass
the test ..... if you wanna pass the test , you must have to answer the
questions which are presented to you

moral of the story ---> I'm practicing for RHCE and stacked at the
partitioning question ... So I simply asked to the list as there may
experts like you are present to guide me ... If I've done anything
wrong... please forgive me ...from now I will not ask any question
regarding the RHCE exam questions
if the you expert people think so

Regards

--
v
/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Gene Heskett
 
Default partition customization ....how do I ???

On Wednesday 03 March 2010, Craig White wrote:
>On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 11:43 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
>> On 03/03/2010 11:26 AM, Tim wrote:
>> > On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 16:38 +0530, Jatin K wrote:
>> >> how do I exactly maintain the said order of the partition in
>> >> exercise ??
>> >
>> > One answer: Use a command line tool, like fdisk, that does exactly
>> > what you tell it to, rather than a GUI tool which works in the manner
>> > it thinks best.
>> >
>> > Over the last few years, I've let disk druid do its thing if I'm
>> > prepared to accept the automatic defaults, but (part way through
>> > running the install disc) I've usually swapped over to the command
>> > line, if I want to do something different. And I'll set up the drive
>> > how I want it, then go back to the install routine, and just select the
>> > partitions I want the installer to use, without reformatting any of
>> > them.
>> >
>> > Particularly so for servers, where I've not only wanted a specific
>> > layout, but also wanted the reliability assurance of running a bad
>> > block test as well as the format. When setting up a server, I'd rather
>> > spend the time doing integrity checks beforehand, than be surprised by
>> > something nasty much later on, when it's wrecked my work.
>> >
>> > I don't know why disc druid re-arranges the order of partitions, I
>> > could only guess that the author might think that certain things (boot,
>> > swap) are better at the start or middle of the drive, and arranges
>> > things to what they think are optimum.
>>
>> suppose one is doing RHCE exam .... and question is to partition a
>> disk in said order what he/she should do ??? if disk druid changes the
>> partition order automatically
>>
>> does partition ordering is serious matter for the RHCE exam ????
>> according to question swap partition should be on hda2 and / partition
>> should be on hda3 , what is can be done if disk druid changes the
>> partition order randomly ??
>>
>> if any RHCE is reading this list .....please explain the matter
>
>----
>before you actually start with disk druid in anaconda, you just switch
>to virtual console <Control><Alt><F2> and then run 'fdisk /dev/sda' and
>create your partitions in fdisk, switch back to anaconda
><Control><Alt><F7> and then use the partitions you created in fdisk.
>
>Craig
>
With all due respect Craig, the ctrl-alt-F2 to get another screen has yet to
give me a shell on that screen, _if_ it gives me a 2nd screen, which 90% of
the time doesn't happen, those key combos are ignored by nash. For the new
bee, there simply does not exist any method to get around fedoras use of a
broken disk partitioning tool unless it has been fixed _since_ F10.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A violent man will die a violent death.
-- Lao Tsu
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org