Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Neil Bird

Default Sound lockup if gdm pulseaudio enabled

I've been having various issues with pulseaudio since upgrading my F10
box to F12 recently (it was previously working fine).

The core issue seems to have been worked around my my disabling gdm
puleeaudio (via root's gconf-editor, as mentioned on a blog somewhere).

I'm concerned, though, that that's just masking the real issue.
Essentially, the issue is that, with gdm audio enabled, any normal user's
app. will hang when trying to generate sound. This made my login nearly
impossible as I have a couple of applets that 'tone' when logging in, and
this seemed (via the gnome panel?) to near-enough hang my entire session.

Is there something in particular I should be looking at, maybe
permissions-wise?

I did try running pulseadio with '-vvv' as recommended to see what was
what, but the only relevant thing I saw were timeout messages. The one
error I did see once was being unable to open a device via /dev, but the odd
code it was using as a filename didn't match what was there.

That may have been exacerbated by the fact that my wife was logged in at
the same time, and I seemed to find that when I restarted my pulse-audio
daemon, hers seemed to take over (even though not the active console) and
mine fell back to 'dummy output'. I had to log her out to get my audio
working OK (and then, oddly, logging in as her still let her use audio OK).

I haven't experimented to see if that oddity is still the case now I've
disabled gdm-audio, but it does all smack of off permissions to me.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature

Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Neil Bird writes:

I'm concerned, though, that that's just masking the real issue.
Essentially, the issue is that, with gdm audio enabled, any normal user's
app. will hang when trying to generate sound. This made my login nearly
impossible as I have a couple of applets that 'tone' when logging in, and
this seemed (via the gnome panel?) to near-enough hang my entire session.

Is there something in particular I should be looking at, maybe
permissions-wise?

The current pulseaudio package has a bug. There's a pending update.

The bug may or may not be your bug, so you'll have to wait until an update
is out, before checking again.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Neil Bird

Around about 02/03/10 12:02, Sam Varshavchik typed ...
> The current pulseaudio package has a bug. There's a pending update.
> The bug may or may not be your bug, so you'll have to wait until an update
> is out, before checking again.

OK, thanks; I'll watch out for it being updated, and then have a bit
more of an experiment.

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature

Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Tony Nelson

On 10-03-02 07:02:27, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> The current pulseaudio package has a bug. There's a pending update.
>
> The bug may or may not be your bug, so you'll have to wait until an
> update is out, before checking again.

Or get it from updates-testing with:

# yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update pulse*

You can use `yum history undo <transaction-id>` if it makes things
worse (`yum history list` to get the transaction-id). In either case,
comment on the bug(s) (<http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/pulseaudio>) as
to whether it worked for you and whether it fixed the problem(s).

Old 03-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 10:32 +0000, Neil Bird wrote:
> Essentially, the issue is that, with gdm audio enabled, any normal
> user's app. will hang when trying to generate sound. This made my
> login nearly impossible as I have a couple of applets that 'tone' when
> logging in, and this seemed (via the gnome panel?) to near-enough hang
> my entire session.

I've rarely heard my computer do the login/ready noises, only ever
during some graphical dual-logins when the second one of them would go
through the switch user re-login seqence. Other than that, GDM always
ran silent.

To be honest, I prefer it that way, and I disable the login/window
noises in Gnome. In the past, pre-pulseaudio era, I'd found them to
wedge the sound system, so nothing could make any noises. At some stage
something would try to make use of the sound system, fail, and never
recover. And I dislike essentially useless noises.

But, when trying out Ubuntu (with pulseaudio) on the same hardware, its
GDM was quite capable of making its audio blingy noises, as well as the
desktop once you're logged in, and the sound system would work fine.

There must be some differences in how who's allowed to make sound is
determined between the two systems.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 16:34 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 10:32 +0000, Neil Bird wrote:
> > Essentially, the issue is that, with gdm audio enabled, any normal
> > user's app. will hang when trying to generate sound. This made my
> > login nearly impossible as I have a couple of applets that 'tone' when
> > logging in, and this seemed (via the gnome panel?) to near-enough hang
> > my entire session.
>
> I've rarely heard my computer do the login/ready noises, only ever
> during some graphical dual-logins when the second one of them would go
> through the switch user re-login seqence. Other than that, GDM always
> ran silent.
>
> To be honest, I prefer it that way, and I disable the login/window
> noises in Gnome. In the past, pre-pulseaudio era, I'd found them to
> wedge the sound system, so nothing could make any noises. At some stage
> something would try to make use of the sound system, fail, and never
> recover. And I dislike essentially useless noises.
>
> But, when trying out Ubuntu (with pulseaudio) on the same hardware, its
> GDM was quite capable of making its audio blingy noises, as well as the
> desktop once you're logged in, and the sound system would work fine.
>
> There must be some differences in how who's allowed to make sound is
> determined between the two systems.
----
pulseaudio runs as the logged in user

gdm does not

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 23:19 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> pulseaudio runs as the logged in user
>
> gdm does not

Quite obviously, but does the gdm 'user' have appropriate permissions to
use pulseaudio, itself.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Craig White

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 17:03 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 23:19 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > pulseaudio runs as the logged in user
> >
> > gdm does not
> >
> Quite obviously, but does the gdm 'user' have appropriate permissions to
> use pulseaudio, itself.
----
I don't know because I use kdm but kdm runs as 'root' so I would expect
so.

Craig

believed to be clean.