Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 AM
john wendel

Default FLV4 video - which codec do I need?

I've got an FLV4 encoded video that I'd like to watch. Mplayer says

> [mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MS/VFW/FOURCC), -vid 0
> [mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_MPEG/L3), -aid 0, -alang jpn
> [mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS), -sid 0, -slang eng
> [mkv] Will play video track 1.
> Matroska file format detected.
> VIDEO: [FLV4] 640x368 0bpp 25.000 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
> ================================================== ========================
> Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34564C46.
> ================================================== ========================

I downloaded and installed the "all" codec pack from the mplayer
website, didn't help.

Any clues appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 04:07:11 am john wendel wrote:
> I've got an FLV4 encoded video that I'd like to watch. Mplayer says
>
> > [mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MS/VFW/FOURCC), -vid 0
> > [mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_MPEG/L3), -aid 0, -alang jpn
> > [mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS), -sid 0, -slang eng
> > [mkv] Will play video track 1.
> > Matroska file format detected.
> > VIDEO: [FLV4] 640x368 0bpp 25.000 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
> > [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
> > ================================================== =======================
> > = Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34564C46.
> > ================================================== ======================
> > ==
>
> I downloaded and installed the "all" codec pack from the mplayer
> website, didn't help.

FLV4 is the Flash Video file format, apparently inside the Matroska (mkv) file
container. You can read for example

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

Flash video should be playable in general by mplayer, with the usual codec
suite, nothing special. So if it doesn't work for you, there are two
possibilities:

1) The file is broken. Are you able to play it elsewhere? On Windows? Where did
you get it? Maybe the download was bad, can you check md5sum or similar?

2) Your mplayer configuration is broken somehow. Post the complete output of
"mplayer -v insertfilename". The line

> > = Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34564C46.

is begging the question what video output driver do you use (do a
"mplayer -vo help" to see all options available for you, see "man mplayer" and
other docs to read about them). The usual driver is xv, and if that doesn't
work for some reason, the usual second choice is x11. You can try to force
mplayer to use one of them:

mplayer -vo xv insertfilename
mplayer -vo x11 insertfilename

The video output driver of mplayer is usually determined by the capabilities
of your graphics hardware. What card do you have ("lspci | grep vga")? What
drivers do you use for it? Do you see anything suspicious while playing other
movies with mplayer?

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 AM
john wendel

On 03/02/2010 02:49 AM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2010 04:07:11 am john wendel wrote:
>> I've got an FLV4 encoded video that I'd like to watch. Mplayer says
>>
>>> [mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MS/VFW/FOURCC), -vid 0
>>> [mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_MPEG/L3), -aid 0, -alang jpn
>>> [mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS), -sid 0, -slang eng
>>> [mkv] Will play video track 1.
>>> Matroska file format detected.
>>> VIDEO: [FLV4] 640x368 0bpp 25.000 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
>>> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
>>> ================================================== =======================
>>> = Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34564C46.
>>> ================================================== ======================
>>> ==
>>
>> I downloaded and installed the "all" codec pack from the mplayer
>> website, didn't help.
>
> FLV4 is the Flash Video file format, apparently inside the Matroska (mkv) file
> container. You can read for example
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska
>
> Flash video should be playable in general by mplayer, with the usual codec
> suite, nothing special. So if it doesn't work for you, there are two
> possibilities:
>
> 1) The file is broken. Are you able to play it elsewhere? On Windows? Where did
> you get it? Maybe the download was bad, can you check md5sum or similar?
>
> 2) Your mplayer configuration is broken somehow. Post the complete output of
> "mplayer -v insertfilename". The line
>
>>> = Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x34564C46.
>
> is begging the question what video output driver do you use (do a
> "mplayer -vo help" to see all options available for you, see "man mplayer" and
> other docs to read about them). The usual driver is xv, and if that doesn't
> work for some reason, the usual second choice is x11. You can try to force
> mplayer to use one of them:
>
> mplayer -vo xv insertfilename
> mplayer -vo x11 insertfilename
>
> The video output driver of mplayer is usually determined by the capabilities
> of your graphics hardware. What card do you have ("lspci | grep vga")? What
> drivers do you use for it? Do you see anything suspicious while playing other
> movies with mplayer?
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

Fixed problem by editing mplayer "codecs.conf" file. First I had to
download the mplayer sources to get a copy of the file. Then I added the
following

videocodec ffvp6f
info "FFmpeg VP6 Flash"
status working
fourcc FLV4,VP6F
driver ffmpeg
dll "vp6f"
out YV12

Actually, I just added the "FLV4" tag to the fourcc line.

It would be good if Fedora shipped a copy of the "codecs.conf" file.

Regards,

John