Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Ed Greshko

Default F12-i386-DVD iso won't burn properly

Temlakos wrote:
> I have downloaded this ISO twice, and verified it each time. I have made
> no less than three "coasters" while trying to create a DVD from it. Then
> I moved the ISO to another machine, and another program--which then
> proceeded to tell me that the ISO looked like a CD, not a DVD.
>
> What's going on? Has nobody noticed that the DVD ISO is no good, and
> that the six-CD install set, or one of the two live CDs, are the only
> options?

No. I've downloaded and burned. No issue.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Mike McCarty

Temlakos wrote:
> I have downloaded this ISO twice, and verified it each time. I have made
> no less than three "coasters" while trying to create a DVD from it. Then
> I moved the ISO to another machine, and another program--which then
> proceeded to tell me that the ISO looked like a CD, not a DVD.
>
> What's going on? Has nobody noticed that the DVD ISO is no good, and
> that the six-CD install set, or one of the two live CDs, are the only
> options?

This sounds like you have a hardware problem, or are not using
the correct procedure to do the burn.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
You have found the bank of Larn.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 21:53 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> I have downloaded this ISO twice, and verified it each time. I have made
> no less than three "coasters" while trying to create a DVD from it. Then
> I moved the ISO to another machine, and another program--which then
> proceeded to tell me that the ISO looked like a CD, not a DVD.

You don't say exactly how you burned the DVDs that don't work. Without
that information it's difficult to know what could be wrong. For
instance, some people mistakenly copy the ISO file to an empty DVD *as a
file* rather than a disk image. This will never work.

You might also test whether other DVDs burned on the same machine (with
the same type of media) do work.

> What's going on? Has nobody noticed that the DVD ISO is no good, and
> that the six-CD install set, or one of the two live CDs, are the only
> options?

Sure, the thousands of people who've done this have had the same problem
but no-one thought to mention it till now.

poc

Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> This sounds like you have a hardware problem, or are not using
> the correct procedure to do the burn.

Try burning the DVD at a lower speed. If you are using wodim, use
"speed=1" on the command line.

Try buying a completely different brand of blank media. Start with a
small quantity, so you can determine if that would really help without
spending a lot of money.

Different brands of optical media use different chemicals for their
data layer, because each company that manufactures recordable media
has a patent on its own particular process. The result unfortunately
is that some brands of media are incompatiable with some burners.
Also some brands of media, even if correctly recorded, are
incompatible with some readers.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 03-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Temlakos

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 21:53 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded this ISO twice, and verified it each time. I have made
>> no less than three "coasters" while trying to create a DVD from it. Then
>> I moved the ISO to another machine, and another program--which then
>> proceeded to tell me that the ISO looked like a CD, not a DVD.
>>

> You don't say exactly how you burned the DVDs that don't work. Without
> that information it's difficult to know what could be wrong. For
> instance, some people mistakenly copy the ISO file to an empty DVD *as a
> file* rather than a disk image. This will never work.
>
> You might also test whether other DVDs burned on the same machine (with
> the same type of media) do work.
>

>> What's going on? Has nobody noticed that the DVD ISO is no good, and
>> that the six-CD install set, or one of the two live CDs, are the only
>> options?
>>

> Sure, the thousands of people who've done this have had the same problem
> but no-one thought to mention it till now.
>
> poc

Well, first, in the file browser, I tried right-clicking on the ISO file
and selecting the option "Write to disk." It didn't even finish writing.
It abruptly said, "Input/output error."

I tried it again with Gnomebaker, using the disk-image tool. Same result.

Then I did set the speed to 1x. It got about 25% done, and then said,
"Input/output error. Write failed. Closing disk."

Then I did something else: I transferred the ISO file to a Windows
machine, and used different hardware, different software, and even a
different operating system. And that's when I got a message that said,
"Please insert a compatible media." And the compatible media that it
wanted me to insert was a CD, not a DVD.

I also had the Live CD ISO. And I was able to burn that without a
problem. I've since used it, and it's good. It's bootable and does
everything that it should, as far as I can tell.

I suppose that the thing to do is just get the CD set and have done with it.

I've never had this trouble with any other ISO in any other context. But
come to think of it, I've never been able to burn a Fedora Installation
DVD ISO, either.

Temlakos

Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
bruce

if you can, go ahead and tell ys the exact steps you used, from start
to finish. tell us what you downloaded, where you copied it, what you
did, what app you used, what you typed in, etc.. give us each step..

someone wil point out the err in no time!

peace

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

Try burning it with wodim. It's a command-line tool; you'll need to
read wodim's man page, which will require a bit of study.

One reason is that wodim is likely to succeed where other burners
fail. The other is that wodim will give extremely detailed error
messages if something goes wrong.

I don't recall the precise command line you will need, so please do
look up the man page, but it will be something like:

$ sudo wodim -v speed=1 dev=/dev/cdrw -sao Foo.iso

"-sao" means Session at Once, which is what you want if you're burning
the entire disc from a single ISO file.

Replace "/dev/cdrw" with your burner's actual filename - but /dev/cdrw
is probably what you want.

If it still borks, copy all of wodim's output to the clipboard and
paste it into a reply to this thread.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Temlakos

Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> Try burning it with wodim. It's a command-line tool; you'll need to
> read wodim's man page, which will require a bit of study.
>
> One reason is that wodim is likely to succeed where other burners
> fail. The other is that wodim will give extremely detailed error
> messages if something goes wrong.
>
> I don't recall the precise command line you will need, so please do
> look up the man page, but it will be something like:
>
> $ sudo wodim -v speed=1 dev=/dev/cdrw -sao Foo.iso
>
> "-sao" means Session at Once, which is what you want if you're burning
> the entire disc from a single ISO file.
>
> Replace "/dev/cdrw" with your burner's actual filename - but /dev/cdrw
> is probably what you want.
>
> If it still borks, copy all of wodim's output to the clipboard and
> paste it into a reply to this thread.
>
> Don Quixote

Sadly, I don't seem to have wodim on my system. (I never upgraded beyond
FC6, if that explains anything.) How do I get it?

Temlakos

Old 03-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM, Temlakos <temlakos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sadly, I don't seem to have wodim on my system. (I never upgraded beyond
> FC6, if that explains anything.) How do I get it?

FC6 would have cdrecord. I think wodim and cdrecord have compatible
command-line options. If I remember correctly, there was some problem
with cdrecord's license, so wodim was developed as a drop-in
replacement.

But if you want to give wodim a try anyway, it shouldn't be hard to
build from source. Let me find it for you...

http://www.cdrkit.org/

But if you're not a programmer, do try out cdrecord before attempting
to build wodim yourself.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
John Mellor

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 21:53 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
> I have downloaded this ISO twice, and verified it each time. I have made
> no less than three "coasters" while trying to create a DVD from it. Then
> I moved the ISO to another machine, and another program--which then
> proceeded to tell me that the ISO looked like a CD, not a DVD.
>
> What's going on? Has nobody noticed that the DVD ISO is no good, and
> that the six-CD install set, or one of the two live CDs, are the only
> options?

Yeah, I had the same problem using F12 and the same procedures that I
have used in other releases using both brasero and the fileroller
doodad. I gave up and just burned it from a Windows box. Maybe its
fixed now with the hundreds of patches being fired out.

I think its all part of the insufficient testing problem that has dogged
F12 ever since it was released without being stabilized. Hopefully the
revised F13 qa automation and fixing of blocker anaconda bugs so that
testers can actually install the beta can resolve some of this...