Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Chris Smart

Default User to set CPU scaling?

Is there a way for non-root users to be able to administer CPU
scaling? Currently the interfaces are all owned by root:root and short
of a hack to change their permissions on boot, I'm wondering if
there's a "proper" way to do it?

Thanks,
-c

Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Chris Smart <mail@christophersmart.com> wrote:
> Is there a way for non-root users to be able to administer CPU
> scaling?

Unsolder the crystal on your motherboard, then solder in a slower one.

I'll send you my bill in the mail.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Chris Smart

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Don Quixote de la Mancha
<quixote@dulcineatech.com> wrote:

> Unsolder the crystal on your motherboard, then solder in a slower one.

Apart from that :-P

-c

Old 03-02-2010, 03:57 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:25 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> Is there a way for non-root users to be able to administer CPU
> scaling? Currently the interfaces are all owned by root:root and short
> of a hack to change their permissions on boot, I'm wondering if
> there's a "proper" way to do it?

On my computers, running Gnome, there's a taskbar applet that lets me
monitor CPU speed, it also lets me deliberately pick a particular speed
to run at. I can make those adjustments as the user I'm logged in as,
not needing to be root.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 AM
Ed Greshko

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:25 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
>
>> Is there a way for non-root users to be able to administer CPU
>> scaling? Currently the interfaces are all owned by root:root and short
>> of a hack to change their permissions on boot, I'm wondering if
>> there's a "proper" way to do it?
>>

> On my computers, running Gnome, there's a taskbar applet that lets me
> monitor CPU speed, it also lets me deliberately pick a particular speed
> to run at. I can make those adjustments as the user I'm logged in as,
> not needing to be root.

Do you think it would help Chris if you named the taskbar applet?

--
Absent, adj.: Exposed to the attacks of friends and acquaintances;
defamed; slandered.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

More seriously, if there is a command-line tool that root would use to
adjust the CPU scaling, perhaps it would work to add that command to
the /etc/sudoers file.

You would still need to use the sudo command to run it, but once
having entered your personal (not root) password, you could issue more
sudo commands for fifteen minutes without having to enter your
password again.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 03-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Chris Smart

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On my computers, running Gnome, there's a taskbar applet that lets me
> monitor CPU speed, it also lets me deliberately pick a particular speed
> to run at. *I can make those adjustments as the user I'm logged in as,
> not needing to be root.

Thanks for that.
I should have explained my situation more specifically, sorry about that!

So I have a KDE 4.4 install, but the Power Manager says that I don't
have support for CPU stepping.

However, I am loading acpi-cpufreq and managers, cpufreq_ondemand
cpufreq_powersave.

I also have cpufrequtils installed and on the command line I can
modify it _as root_.

I.e. sudo cpufreq -s -f 1000 -g ondemand

But if I run it as my regular user, I don't have permission. I'm
_assuming_ that this is the reason that KDE doesn't support CPU
scaling..

-c

Old 03-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Chris Smart

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Chris Smart <mail@christophersmart.com> wrote:

> But if I run it as my regular user, I don't have permission. I'm
> _assuming_ that this is the reason that KDE doesn't support CPU
> scaling..

And my assumption is wrong.. I just logged in as root *GASP* and KDE
also reports inability to step the CPU, so I must be missing some kind
of package or configuration.

Sorry to lead you all astray..

-c

Old 03-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Chris Smart

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Chris Smart <mail@christophersmart.com> wrote:

> And my assumption is wrong.. I just logged in as root *GASP* and KDE
> also reports inability to step the CPU, so I must be missing some kind
> of package or configuration.

Does anyone with a KDE install have support for CPU scaling with
PowerDevil under System Settings?

-c

Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 13:03 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Do you think it would help Chris if you named the taskbar applet?

I couldn't recall the name, and I was using the wrong computer to have a
look.

However, if I click on the add to panel (to add an applet to the top or
bottom taskbar) menu option, up near the top of the list is something
called CPU frequency scaling monitor. It offers control as well as
monitoring, and I believe it's an applet that's available by default.