Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Patrick Bartek

Default Hulu.com and 64-bit Problem?

A curious incompatibility, it seems, between Hulu.com and 64-bit libflashplayer.so plugin has recently reared its ugly head: streaming video won't play or Hulu won't stream them for whatever reason. Also, any other streaming sight that gets some of their content from Hulu like Fancast.com or SlashControl.com has the same problem with those Hulu videos. Those TV shows, movies, clips, etc. that don't come through Hulu work fine.

When it fails, Hulu reports that there may be a problem with my network. (There's not.) Reloading the page, sometimes gets the sound of the lead-in ("This program brought you by . . .") only, but no video. Up until two weeks ago or so, everything worked without problems.

I first thought it might be a update problem with my Fedora 12 64-bit system, but whether I use the most current version of the plugin or an earlier one on Firefox or Opera, the results are the same. However, if I use 32-bit Linux--doesn't matter which distro, it seems--the videos stream just fine. I've tested this with Fedora 12, Puppy 4.3.1, and Vector 6.0 (all 32-bit) running in VirtualBox 3.0 (not the OSE version) on my 64-bit F12 system, and in PCLinuxOS 2009.1 and Puppy 4.3.1 in VB 2.something OSE on Fedora 9 64-bit, both on the same hardware, and all work just fine as long as the version of libflashplayer is later than 10.0 R15.

The Fedora 9 system running natively has the problem, too. Even though it worked fine previously. It is also fully up to date as of July 2009 when support on it ceased.

Anyone have any ideas of the cause? And how to correct it? Or whether this is a 64-bit problem or Hulu or Adobe one?

Also, anyone running F12 64-bit with 32-bit Firefox with the 32-bit flash plugin who could do a test stream, and tell me the results?

Of course, Windows Vista & XP SP3--both 32-bit--work fine.

Thanks.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Andre Robatino

This problem has existed since around January 9. At first, Hulu claimed
that everyone just had to update their Flash version. When people did
this and still reported having the problem, they started ignoring
reports. Lots of archived comments at

http://www.hulu.com/discussions/9

with not a single response by Hulu (the relevant threads are the
non-sticky ones with thousands of views).

Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Mon, 3/1/10, Andre Robatino <andre@bwh.harvard.edu> wrote:

> This problem has existed since around
> January 9.* At first, Hulu claimed
> that everyone just had to update their Flash version.*
> When people did
> this and still reported having the problem, they started
> ignoring
> reports.* Lots of archived comments at
>
> http://www.hulu.com/discussions/9
>
> with not a single response by Hulu (the relevant threads
> are the
> non-sticky ones with thousands of views).

Thanks for the link. Read numerous posts and replies. Several people said by wrapping the 32-bit flash plugin on their 64-bit systems/browsers, they got Hulu to work. However, I never was happy with the performance of the wrapped flash plugin. It was worse than the 64-bit Alpha. Maybe, I'll just install 32-bit Firefox and use it for those times I need it now that I know the problem is not exclusively a 64-bit OS problem. I already have a few 32-bit apps on my system. So, another one isn't going to bother me. (I'm not a 64-bit only fanatic.)

Anyway, thanks, again, for the link.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Michael Cronenworth

Thanks for the link. Read numerous posts and replies. Several people said by wrapping the 32-bit flash plugin on their 64-bit systems/browsers, they got Hulu to work. However, I never was happy with the performance of the wrapped flash plugin. It was worse than the 64-bit Alpha. Maybe, I'll just install 32-bit Firefox and use it for those times I need it now that I know the problem is not exclusively a 64-bit OS problem. I already have a few 32-bit apps on my system. So, another one isn't going to bother me. (I'm not a 64-bit only fanatic.)

Just use huludesktop. It will work fine with the 64-bit plugin. They
provide a 64-bit RPM on hulu.com.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Andre Goree

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 12:25:26 am Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 03/01/2010 11:15 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Thanks for the link. Read numerous posts and replies. Several people
> > said by wrapping the 32-bit flash plugin on their 64-bit
> > systems/browsers, they got Hulu to work. However, I never was happy
> > with the performance of the wrapped flash plugin. It was worse than the
> > 64-bit Alpha. Maybe, I'll just install 32-bit Firefox and use it for
> > those times I need it now that I know the problem is not exclusively a
> > 64-bit OS problem. I already have a few 32-bit apps on my system. So,
> > another one isn't going to bother me. (I'm not a 64-bit only fanatic.)
>
> Just use huludesktop. It will work fine with the 64-bit plugin. They
> provide a 64-bit RPM on hulu.com.

Another vote for huludesktop. It's what I've been using. It's buggy but I
think it's just a beta anyways, right?

I did, however, try to use the website and it did not work for me (fedora 12
64-bit).

Old 03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Mon, 3/1/10, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/2010 11:15 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> Thanks for the link. Read numerous posts and
> replies. Several people said by wrapping the 32-bit flash
> plugin on their 64-bit systems/browsers, they got Hulu to
> work. However, I never was happy with the performance of
> the wrapped flash plugin. It was worse than the 64-bit
> Alpha. Maybe, I'll just install 32-bit Firefox and use
> it for those times I need it now that I know the problem is
> not exclusively a 64-bit OS problem. I already have a few
> 32-bit apps on my system. So, another one isn't going
> to bother me. (I'm not a 64-bit only fanatic.)
>
> Just use huludesktop. It will work fine with the 64-bit
> plugin. They
> provide a 64-bit RPM on hulu.com.

This was suggested in the Hulu user "tech" section, but most of the users who tried it (of the postings I read) reported that the display problem persisted. Many also complained of problems with the Huludesktop itself.

The only "fix" that was consistently successful was using the 32-bit flash plugin either wrapped or natively.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Armelius Cameron

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 11:49:16 am Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Mon, 3/1/10, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> > On 03/01/2010 11:15 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > Thanks for the link. Read numerous posts and

> > Just use huludesktop. It will work fine with the 64-bit
> > plugin. They
> > provide a 64-bit RPM on hulu.com.
>
> This was suggested in the Hulu user "tech" section, but most of the users
> who tried it (of the postings I read) reported that the display problem
> persisted. Many also complained of problems with the Huludesktop itself.
>
> The only "fix" that was consistently successful was using the 32-bit flash
> plugin either wrapped or natively.

I use Huludesktop with 64-bit flash plugin, the exact same plugin that is used
on Firefox that doesn't work on hulu.com. I know this because the huludesktop
has a config file .huludesktop that requires the user to point it to the flash
plugin. The huludesktop works fine also. I like the website navigation better,
but at least it works if I know what I am looking for.

AC

Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Tue, 3/2/10, Armelius Cameron <armeliusc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 March 2010 11:49:16 am
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 3/1/10, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com>
> wrote:
> > > On 03/01/2010 11:15 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > >***Thanks for the link.* Read
> numerous posts and
>
> > > Just use huludesktop. It will work fine with the
> 64-bit
> > > plugin. They
> > > provide a 64-bit RPM on hulu.com.
> >
> > This was suggested in the Hulu user "tech" section,
> but most of the users
> > who tried it (of the postings I read) reported that
> the display problem
> > persisted.* Many also complained of problems with
> the Huludesktop itself.
> >
> > The only "fix" that was consistently successful was
> using the 32-bit flash
> > plugin either wrapped or natively.
>
> I use Huludesktop with 64-bit flash plugin, the exact same
> plugin that is used
> on Firefox that doesn't work on hulu.com. I know this
> because the huludesktop
> has a config file .huludesktop that requires the user to
> point it to the flash
> plugin. The huludesktop works fine also. I like the website
> navigation better,
> but at least it works if I know what I am looking for.

Since I am having problems getting 32-bit Opera on my 64-bit system to recognize the 32-bit flash plugin even though everything is correctly installed and all dependencies resolved, I decided to give your suggestion a try.

The 64-bit Huludesktop app downloaded, installed and worked just fine as soon as I told it where the 64-bit flash plugin was. As with you, it was the same plugin that DIDN'T work with Firefox or Opera. (I find it strange that the same plugin will work in one case and not the other.) I do need, however, to make the app's display larger: The thumbnails are too small making navigation difficult. (I, too, like the Hulu website better for navigation. Faster. More browse-able.)

Unfortunately, Huludesktop is not a "fix" for me, but a "work-around." I mostly use Fancast.com, which streams some stuff through Hulu, for my TV/movie viewing mainly because Fancast "remembers" the position you are in the stream in case there are problems and you have to reload. Or Firefox crashes. ;-) However, for the few programs I watch that stream through Hulu, I can live with Huludesktop or just go to Fox or SyFy and watch them there. Or use a 32-bit distro running in a VM.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Chris Kloiber

Ah yes, but it's a bitc^H^H^H^H bit difficult to control/find your
desired content, and I don't think it will scale to a tiny "always on
top" window in the corner of your desktop so you can work while
watching, similar to the popout feature. Buckets full of FAIL, IMHO.

--
Chris Kloiber

Old 03-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Chris Kloiber wrote:
> Ah yes, but it's a bitc^H^H^H^H bit difficult to control/find your
> desired content, and I don't think it will scale to a tiny "always on
> top" window in the corner of your desktop so you can work while
> watching, similar to the popout feature. Buckets full of FAIL, IMHO.

The huludesktop window scales. Try it.

Also, use the search feature. It's the only way I can use huludesktop.
It may not be as straight forward as the web site, but I've lived with
it without too much pain.