-   -   texlive 2009 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/334127-texlive-2009-a.html)

François Patte 03-01-2010 08:31 PM

texlive 2009

Bonjour,

I would like to know if someone experienced to install texlive-2009
under fedora.

I am running fedora 10. On some computer I installed fedora 12, but in
any of these release texlive still remains with 2007 release.

Is there a way to upgrade texlive under fedora 10 or 12.

Thank you.

BTW. Why texlive 2009 has not been included in f12?

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique

Berkin Malkoc 03-01-2010 08:49 PM

texlive 2009

Bonjour Monsieur Patte,

I hope this is not a trivial answer.

To install latest TexLive (2009), I simply went to http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html and after the download, just followed the instructions which were pointed to on the same page.

Regards,
Berkin

Kirk Lowery 03-01-2010 08:54 PM

texlive 2009

2010/3/1 François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr>:

> I would like to know if someone experienced to install texlive-2009 under
> fedora.
>
> I am running fedora 10. On some computer I installed fedora 12, but in any
> of these release texlive still remains with 2007 release.

I run TL 2009 on Fedora 12. I don't use the rpms. They split up
TeXLive in ways that don't fit my needs. Besides, I like having
everything available so I can experiment. Disk space shouldn't be an
issue these days, especially not for a desktop.

Anyway, just download the installer:
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz,
unzip and run the script. Works great.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Matthew Saltzman 03-02-2010 02:35 PM

texlive 2009

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 16:54 -0500, Kirk Lowery wrote:
> 2010/3/1 François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr>:
>
> > I would like to know if someone experienced to install texlive-2009 under
> > fedora.
> >
> > I am running fedora 10. On some computer I installed fedora 12, but in any
> > of these release texlive still remains with 2007 release.
>
> I run TL 2009 on Fedora 12. I don't use the rpms. They split up
> TeXLive in ways that don't fit my needs. Besides, I like having
> everything available so I can experiment. Disk space shouldn't be an
> issue these days, especially not for a desktop.
>
> Anyway, just download the installer:
> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz,
> unzip and run the script. Works great.
>
> Hope this helps.

A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging effort for
TeXLive2009. Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
information on how to add the TeXLive2009 repository and install from
there.

The packaging work has been going on for a while, but wasn't ready in
time for F12. It's targeted for inclusion in F13.

I've made the switch, and these days it seems to work pretty seamlessly.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Kirk Lowery 03-02-2010 03:03 PM

texlive 2009

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:

> A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging effort for
> TeXLive2009. *Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
> information on how to add the TeXLive2009 repository and install from
> there.

It depends on how you define "better."

Look at the goals of the TexLive 2009 Fedora packaging:

"A better packaging scheme allows to reduce bandwidth and save
significant disc space. It also allows simpler maintenance of separate
TeX packages. "

and

"Users could use exactly the part of TeX they need without wasting disc space."

I can see the advantage of Fedora packaging for (1) the casual TeX
user; (2) for packages that need a specific set of TeX dependencies.

However, for the serious TeX user, the issues of bandwidth and disc
space are not relevant. For that user, one needs access to all of
TeXLive, and to be up to date. TeXLive now offers TeXLive manager
(tlmgr) and a GUI to tlmgr. With this, one can eliminate what packages
one doesn't want with much finer granularity than with the Fedora
packaging, and one doesn't have to wait for Fedora 13!

Kirk

Matthew Saltzman 03-02-2010 05:15 PM

texlive 2009

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:03 -0500, Kirk Lowery wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:
>
> > A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging effort for
> > TeXLive2009. Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
> > information on how to add the TeXLive2009 repository and install from
> > there.
>
> It depends on how you define "better."
>
> Look at the goals of the TexLive 2009 Fedora packaging:
>
> "A better packaging scheme allows to reduce bandwidth and save
> significant disc space. It also allows simpler maintenance of separate
> TeX packages. "
>
> and
>
> "Users could use exactly the part of TeX they need without wasting disc space."
>
> I can see the advantage of Fedora packaging for (1) the casual TeX
> user; (2) for packages that need a specific set of TeX dependencies.
>
> However, for the serious TeX user, the issues of bandwidth and disc
> space are not relevant. For that user, one needs access to all of
> TeXLive, and to be up to date. TeXLive now offers TeXLive manager
> (tlmgr) and a GUI to tlmgr. With this, one can eliminate what packages
> one doesn't want with much finer granularity than with the Fedora
> packaging,

This is a legitimate counter-position to mine.

> and one doesn't have to wait for Fedora 13!

This isn't. There is a repo for texlive2009 packages for F12 linked
from the features page I listed. I'm using it now on F12, and it works
fine.

Installing the base package pulls in a pretty functional system. I've
had to add about a half-dozen or so RPMs over time, as I've tried to use
some of the more specialized packages, but that's about it.

Now what would be really cool is something that would catch when you
tried to pull a package that you don't have and offer to run yum to get
it for you. Kind of like the thing (I can't find its name just now)
that offers to yum install a package if you enter a missing command.

Antonio Olivares 03-02-2010 05:42 PM

texlive 2009

> > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Matthew Saltzman
> <mjs@clemson.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > > A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging
> effort for
> > > TeXLive2009. Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
> > > information on how to add the TeXLive2009
> repository and install from
> > > there.
> >
> > It depends on how you define "better."
> >
> > Look at the goals of the TexLive 2009 Fedora
> packaging:
> >
> > "A better packaging scheme allows to reduce bandwidth
> and save
> > significant disc space. It also allows simpler
> maintenance of separate
> > TeX packages. "
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Users could use exactly the part of TeX they need
> without wasting disc space."
> >
> > I can see the advantage of Fedora packaging for (1)
> the casual TeX
> > user; (2) for packages that need a specific set of TeX
> dependencies.
> >
> > However, for the serious TeX user, the issues of
> bandwidth and disc
> > space are not relevant. For that user, one needs
> access to all of
> > TeXLive, and to be up to date. TeXLive now offers
> TeXLive manager
> > (tlmgr) and a GUI to tlmgr. With this, one can
> eliminate what packages
> > one doesn't want with much finer granularity than with
> the Fedora
> > packaging,
>
> This is a legitimate counter-position to mine.
>
> > and one doesn't have to wait for Fedora 13!
>
> This isn't. There is a repo for texlive2009 packages
> for F12 linked
> from the features page I listed. I'm using it now on
> F12, and it works
> fine.
>
> Installing the base package pulls in a pretty functional
> system. I've
> had to add about a half-dozen or so RPMs over time, as I've
> tried to use
> some of the more specialized packages, but that's about
> it.
>
> Now what would be really cool is something that would catch
> when you
> tried to pull a package that you don't have and offer to
> run yum to get
> it for you. Kind of like the thing (I can't find its
> name just now)
> that offers to yum install a package if you enter a missing
> command.
>

> > Kirk
> >

> --

While the ideas are great, but I have to agree with Kirk. I am dissapointed in that Fedora used to include texlive in the original DVD for both i386 and x86_64 and now they don't. As a home user and with dialup, despite the efforts Fedora is making with packaging, it is sadly not the same as Kirk mentions. I installed TeXlive 2009 at home via the iso. I downloaded the iso.xz and extracted it and burned the cd and installed it. No problems to report. There was the path issue, but some kind folks helped me resolve that. The decision to not include TeXLive on the DVD media is the one that I don't agree with, but there again there is not much I can do :(, would have been happy running texlive 2007 on it, but why not get the latest and greatest one available.

I run rawhide and TeXLive 2009 is not even there yet :(

[olivares@n6355-5067 ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 14 (Rawhide)
[olivares@n6355-5067 ~]$ uname -a
Linux n6355-5067 2.6.34-0.4.rc0.git2.fc14.i686 #1 SMP Fri Feb 26 17:10:39 UTC 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[olivares@n6355-5067 ~]$ rpm -qa texlive*
texlive-texmf-errata-2007-7.fc12.noarch
texlive-texmf-errata-fonts-2007-7.fc12.noarch
texlive-dvips-2007-49.fc13.i686
texlive-texmf-dvips-2007-35.fc13.noarch
texlive-texmf-2007-35.fc13.noarch
texlive-latex-2007-49.fc13.i686
texlive-texmf-errata-latex-2007-7.fc12.noarch
texlive-texmf-latex-2007-35.fc13.noarch
texlive-2007-49.fc13.i686
texlive-texmf-fonts-2007-35.fc13.noarch
texlive-utils-2007-49.fc13.i686
texlive-texmf-errata-dvips-2007-7.fc12.noarch
[olivares@n6355-5067 ~]$

They are not pushing it, This is not like Fedora 8 preFedora 9 where we installed it on our own to help testing, is it?

Regards,

Antonio

François Patte 03-02-2010 05:58 PM

texlive 2009

Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> a écrit*:

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 16:54 -0500, Kirk Lowery wrote:

2010/3/1 François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr>:

> I would like to know if someone experienced to install texlive-2009 under
> fedora.
>
> I am running fedora 10. On some computer I installed fedora 12, but in any
> of these release texlive still remains with 2007 release.

I run TL 2009 on Fedora 12. I don't use the rpms. They split up
TeXLive in ways that don't fit my needs. Besides, I like having
everything available so I can experiment. Disk space shouldn't be an
issue these days, especially not for a desktop.

Anyway, just download the installer:
http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz,
unzip and run the script. Works great.

Hope this helps.

A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging effort for
TeXLive2009. Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
information on how to add the TeXLive2009 repository and install from
there.

I would agree with that but, I am not sure that, unless texlive-2009
will be a part of a fedora release, the installation will run
smoothly.... because of the dependencies. I am running f10 on some
machines and have no time to upgrade to f12 right now.

Moreover I am wondering why Texlive-2009 will install on f10 from CTAN
distribution and why you need a lot of "strange" dependencies under
fedora?

Antonio Olivares 03-02-2010 06:17 PM

texlive 2009

> to install texlive-2009 under

> installed fedora 12, but in any
> 2007 release.
> >>
> >> I run TL 2009 on Fedora 12. I don't use the rpms.
> They split up
> >> TeXLive in ways that don't fit my needs. Besides,
> I like having
> >> everything available so I can experiment. Disk
> space shouldn't be an
> >> issue these days, especially not for a desktop.
> >>
> >> Anyway, just download the installer:
> >> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz,
> >> unzip and run the script. Works great.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >
> > A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging
> effort for
> > TeXLive2009. Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
> > information on how to add the TeXLive2009 repository
> and install from
> > there.
>
> I would agree with that but, I am not sure that, unless
> texlive-2009 will be a part of a fedora release, the
> installation will run smoothly.... because of the
> dependencies. I am running f10 on some machines and have no
> time to upgrade to f12 right now.
>
> Moreover I am wondering why Texlive-2009 will install on
> f10 from CTAN distribution and why you need a lot of
> "strange" dependencies under fedora?
>

> --
> François Patte
> UFR de mathématiques et informatique
> Université Paris Descartes
> 45, rue des Saints Pères
> F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
> Tél. +33 (0)1 4286 2145
> http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/~patte

Bonjour,

Why different dependencies?, Because of packaging guidelines, Licensing issues and other details that developers and Fedora Commitees/Ambassadors/etc have come up with.

Debian packages it and debian/ubuntu users have no complaints(that I know of), As far as I know only Slackware and FreeBSD have not included TeXLive, possibly because the packages are *very large* and not small like old TeTeX.

The installation should run smoothly *if you have decent connection, not dialup*, and it JUST WORKS (TM), as I have tested it before when Fedora decided to package TeXlive for Fedora 9, so it should work as well.

Not every package out there (in TeXLive) is included, but as Matthew mentions, packages *that are not there* can be installed via yum to make it easier.

Regards,

Antonio

Kirk Lowery 03-02-2010 11:49 PM

texlive 2009

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:03 -0500, Kirk Lowery wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > A better way is to help with the Fedora packaging effort for
>> > TeXLive2009. *Visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive for
>> > information on how to add the TeXLive2009 repository and install from
>> > there.
>>
>> It depends on how you define "better."
>>
>> Look at the goals of the TexLive 2009 Fedora packaging:
>>
>> "A better packaging scheme allows to reduce bandwidth and save
>> significant disc space. It also allows simpler maintenance of separate
>> TeX packages. "
>>
>> and
>>
>> "Users could use exactly the part of TeX they need without wasting disc space."
>>
>> I can see the advantage of Fedora packaging for (1) the casual TeX
>> user; (2) for packages that need a specific set of TeX dependencies.
>>
>> However, for the serious TeX user, the issues of bandwidth and disc
>> space are not relevant. For that user, one needs access to all of
>> TeXLive, and to be up to date. TeXLive now offers TeXLive manager
>> (tlmgr) and a GUI to tlmgr. With this, one can eliminate what packages
>> one doesn't want with much finer granularity than with the Fedora
>> packaging,
>
> This is a legitimate counter-position to mine.
>
>> and one doesn't have to wait for Fedora 13!
>
> This isn't. *There is a repo for texlive2009 packages for F12 linked
> from the features page I listed. *I'm using it now on F12, and it works
> fine.

Sorry. You are correct. What I was thinking about and should have said
was this: with tlmgr, one can keep up to date with a continuously
updated TeXLive repository. I update my TeXLive system daily. One
doesn't need to do that of course. Once a week or once a month works,
too. Of course, I also update my Fedora system daily. :-) [hmmm. If
the Fedora TeXLive-2009 rpms include tlmgr, then you should be able to
do the same thing, as long as the official directory hierarchy is
maintained, but I don't know what that would do to the integrity of
the TeX system when new rpms come out...]

One other advantage of a TeXLive system directly installed is if you
use TeX documents on more than one platform. I have a Fedora desktop
at work and a Mac laptop, and keep my TeX source files sync'ed between
them. It is *very* convenient to know that one's TeXLive system is
exactly the same on both. No need to worry about whether one or the
other platform has the needed TeX packages or not.

Kirk