FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Dj YB
 
Default package rollback

hello,
yesterday I have updated kdepim related packages and many things are missing
but will be back in future releases, so I wish till that time to revert to my
old state.
how do I do that?
thanks in advance,
YB
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Tim
 
Default package rollback

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 21:32 +0200, Dj YB wrote:
> I wish till that time to revert to my old state.
> how do I do that?

I've not done it myself, but research: yum downgrade

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Dj YB
 
Default package rollback

On Monday March 1 2010 21:32:50 Dj YB wrote:
> hello,
> yesterday I have updated kdepim related packages and many things are
> missing but will be back in future releases, so I wish till that time to
> revert to my old state.
> how do I do that?
> thanks in advance,

trying to use yum downgrade kdepimlibs, require the removal of too many
packages I have no idea why...
please help, I really need to get back the older version before the last
update.

thanks,
YB.

[root@localhost djyb]# yum downgrade kdepimlibs
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, protect-packages, protectbase, refresh-
packagekit
Setting up Downgrade Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
* fedora: mirror.isoc.org.il
* freshrpms: ayo.ie.freshrpms.net
* rpmfusion-free: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* rpmfusion-free-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* rpmfusion-nonfree: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
* updates: ftp.nluug.nl
0 packages excluded due to repository protections
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kdepimlibs.i586 0:4.2.2-3.fc11 set to be updated
---> Package kdepimlibs.i586 0:4.4.0-2.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: libkholidays.so.4 for package: 6:kdepim-
libs-4.4.0-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkholidays.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkholidays.so.4 for package:
6:kdepim-4.4.0-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkontactinterface.so.4 for package: 6:kdepim-
libs-4.4.0-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkontactinterface.so.4 for package:
6:kdepim-4.4.0-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkpimtextedit.so.4 for package: 6:kdepim-
libs-4.4.0-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkpimtextedit.so.4 for package:
6:kdepim-4.4.0-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libmicroblog.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libmicroblog.so.4 for package: kdepim-
runtime-4.4.0-4.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdepimlibs >= 4.4.0 for package:
7:kdeadmin-4.4.0-2.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdepimlibs >= 4.3.0 for package:
kdesdk-4.3.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdepimlibs(x86-32) = 4.4.0-2.fc11 for package:
kdepimlibs-akonadi-4.4.0-2.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdepimlibs(x86-32) >= 4.4.0 for package: 6:kdebase-
libs-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdepimlibs(x86-32) >= 4.4.0 for package: kdebase-
runtime-libs-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdepimlibs(x86-32) >= 4.4.0 for package:
7:kdenetwork-4.4.0-2.fc11.i586
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kdeadmin.i586 7:4.4.0-2.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdebase-libs.i586 6:4.4.0-3.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: libdolphinprivate.so.4 for package:
6:kdebase-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkonq.so.5 for package: konq-
plugins-4.4.0-2.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkonq.so.5 for package:
6:kdebase-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkonqsidebarplugin.so.4 for package:
6:kdebase-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkonquerorprivate.so.4 for package:
6:kdebase-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-libs(x86-32) = 6:4.4.0-3.fc11 for package:
6:kdebase-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
---> Package kdebase-runtime-libs.i586 0:4.4.0-3.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: libkwalletbackend.so.4 for package: kdebase-
runtime-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libmolletnetwork.so.4 for package: kdebase-
runtime-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-runtime-libs(x86-32) = 4.4.0-3.fc11 for
package: kdebase-runtime-4.4.0-3.fc11.i586
---> Package kdebase-workspace.i586 0:4.4.0-7.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-workspace >= 4.4.0 for package: kdeartwork-
kxs-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-workspace >= 4.4.0 for package:
6:kdemultimedia-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-workspace = 4.4.0-7.fc11 for package:
kdebase-workspace-libs-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
---> Package kdenetwork.i586 7:4.4.0-2.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdepim.i586 6:4.4.0-5.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdepim-libs.i586 6:4.4.0-5.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdepim-runtime.i586 0:4.4.0-4.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: kdepim-runtime = 4.4.0-4.fc11 for package: kdepim-
runtime-libs-4.4.0-4.fc11.i586
---> Package kdepimlibs-akonadi.i586 0:4.4.0-2.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: libakonadi-kde.so.4 for package: kpilot-
libs-5.3.0-4.fc11.i586
---> Package kdesdk.i586 0:4.3.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: kdesdk for package: backintime-
kde-0.9.26-3.fc11.noarch
--> Running transaction check
---> Package backintime-kde.noarch 0:0.9.26-3.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdeartwork-kxs.i586 0:4.4.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: kdeartwork-kxs = 4.4.0-1.fc11 for package:
kdeartwork-screensavers-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
---> Package kdebase.i586 6:4.4.0-3.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdebase-runtime.i586 0:4.4.0-3.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-runtime for package:
digikam-1.1.0-2.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-runtime >= 4.3.3 for package:
amarok-2.2.1-2.fc11.i586
---> Package kdebase-workspace-libs.i586 0:4.4.0-7.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: libkdecorations.so.4 for package: compiz-
kde-0.7.8-20.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkdecorations.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkephal.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkephal.so.4 for package: kdeplasma-
addons-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkfontinst.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkfontinstui.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkscreensaver.so.5 for package: kdebase-
workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libksgrd.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libksignalplotter.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkwineffects.so.1 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkwinnvidiahack.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkworkspace.so.4 for package:
ktorrent-3.3.4-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkworkspace.so.4 for package:
kdm-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkworkspace.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libkworkspace.so.4 for package: kdeplasma-
addons-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: liblsofui.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libplasma-geolocation-interface.so.4 for package:
kdebase-workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libplasmaclock.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libplasmaclock.so.4 for package: kdeplasma-
addons-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libplasmagenericshell.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libprocesscore.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libprocessui.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libsolidcontrol.so.4 for package: 6:kdeutils-
libs-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libsolidcontrol.so.4 for package:
1:kdebluetooth-0.3-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libsolidcontrol.so.4 for package:
ktorrent-3.3.4-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libsolidcontrol.so.4 for package: kdeplasma-
addons-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libsolidcontrol.so.4 for package:
6:kdeutils-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libsolidcontrol.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libsolidcontrolifaces.so.4 for package: kdebase-
workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libtaskmanager.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libtaskmanager.so.4 for package: kdeplasma-
addons-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libweather_ion.so.4 for package: kdeplasma-addons-
libs-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libweather_ion.so.4 for package: kdebase-workspace-
devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: libweather_ion.so.4 for package: kdeplasma-
addons-4.4.0-1.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: solid-bluetooth >= 4.3 for package:
1:kdebluetooth-0.3-5.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kdebase-workspace-libs(x86-32) = 4.4.0-7.fc11 for
package: kdebase-workspace-devel-4.4.0-7.fc11.i586
---> Package kdemultimedia.i586 6:4.4.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdepim-runtime-libs.i586 0:4.4.0-4.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package konq-plugins.i586 0:4.4.0-2.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kpilot-libs.i586 0:5.3.0-4.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: libkpilot.so.4 for package:
kpilot-5.3.0-4.fc11.i586
--> Processing Dependency: kpilot-libs(x86-32) = 5.3.0-4.fc11 for package:
kpilot-5.3.0-4.fc11.i586
--> Running transaction check
---> Package amarok.i586 0:2.2.1-2.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: amarok = 2.2.1-2.fc11 for package: amarok-
libs-2.2.1-2.fc11.i586
---> Package compiz-kde.i586 0:0.7.8-20.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package digikam.i586 0:1.1.0-2.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: digikam = 1.1.0-2.fc11 for package: digikam-
libs-1.1.0-2.fc11.i586
---> Package kdeartwork-screensavers.i586 0:4.4.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdebase-workspace-devel.i586 0:4.4.0-7.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdebluetooth.i586 1:0.3-5.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdeplasma-addons.i586 0:4.4.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdeplasma-addons-libs.i586 0:4.4.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdeutils.i586 6:4.4.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdeutils-libs.i586 6:4.4.0-1.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kdm.i586 0:4.4.0-7.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package kpilot.i586 0:5.3.0-4.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package ktorrent.i586 0:3.3.4-1.fc11 set to be erased
--> Processing Dependency: ktorrent = 3.3.4-1.fc11 for package: ktorrent-
libs-3.3.4-1.fc11.i586
--> Running transaction check
---> Package amarok-libs.i586 0:2.2.1-2.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package digikam-libs.i586 0:1.1.0-2.fc11 set to be erased
---> Package ktorrent-libs.i586 0:3.3.4-1.fc11 set to be erased
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ================================================== =
Package Arch Version
Repository Size
================================================== ================================================== =
Downgrading:
kdepimlibs i586 4.2.2-3.fc11
fedora 2.0 M
Removing for dependencies:
amarok i586 2.2.1-2.fc11
installed 14 M
amarok-libs i586 2.2.1-2.fc11
installed 8.5 M
backintime-kde noarch 0.9.26-3.fc11
installed 447 k
compiz-kde i586 0.7.8-20.fc11
installed 189 k
digikam i586 1.1.0-2.fc11
installed 28 M
digikam-libs i586 1.1.0-2.fc11
installed 4.8 M
kdeadmin i586 7:4.4.0-2.fc11
installed 3.1 M
kdeartwork-kxs i586 4.4.0-1.fc11
installed 203 k
kdeartwork-screensavers i586 4.4.0-1.fc11
installed 3.3 M
kdebase i586 6:4.4.0-3.fc11
installed 12 M
kdebase-libs i586 6:4.4.0-3.fc11
installed 894 k
kdebase-runtime i586 4.4.0-3.fc11
installed 13 M
kdebase-runtime-libs i586 4.4.0-3.fc11
installed 3.5 M
kdebase-workspace i586 4.4.0-7.fc11
installed 31 M
kdebase-workspace-devel i586 4.4.0-7.fc11
installed 633 k
kdebase-workspace-libs i586 4.4.0-7.fc11
installed 3.3 M
kdebluetooth i586 1:0.3-5.fc11
installed 390 k
kdemultimedia i586 6:4.4.0-1.fc11
installed 4.2 M
kdenetwork i586 7:4.4.0-2.fc11
installed 20 M
kdepim i586 6:4.4.0-5.fc11
installed 18 M
kdepim-libs i586 6:4.4.0-5.fc11
installed 21 M
kdepim-runtime i586 4.4.0-4.fc11
installed 4.2 M
kdepim-runtime-libs i586 4.4.0-4.fc11
installed 299 k
kdepimlibs-akonadi i586 4.4.0-2.fc11
installed 2.4 M
kdeplasma-addons i586 4.4.0-1.fc11
installed 7.2 M
kdeplasma-addons-libs i586 4.4.0-1.fc11
installed 698 k
kdesdk i586 4.3.0-1.fc11
installed 19 M
kdeutils i586 6:4.4.0-1.fc11
installed 4.9 M
kdeutils-libs i586 6:4.4.0-1.fc11
installed 2.8 M
kdm i586 4.4.0-7.fc11
installed 4.8 M
konq-plugins i586 4.4.0-2.fc11
installed 5.5 M
kpilot i586 5.3.0-4.fc11
installed 5.8 M
kpilot-libs i586 5.3.0-4.fc11
installed 1.5 M
ktorrent i586 3.3.4-1.fc11
installed 9.5 M
ktorrent-libs i586 3.3.4-1.fc11
installed 1.7 M

Transaction Summary
================================================== ================================================== =
Remove 35 Package(s)
Reinstall 0 Package(s)
Downgrade 1 Package(s)

Total download size: 2.0 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command
Complete!
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Suvayu Ali
 
Default package rollback

On 02/03/10 02:30 PM, Dj YB wrote:
> On Monday March 1 2010 21:32:50 Dj YB wrote:
>> hello,
>> yesterday I have updated kdepim related packages and many things are
>> missing but will be back in future releases, so I wish till that time to
>> revert to my old state.
>> how do I do that?
>> thanks in advance,
>
> trying to use yum downgrade kdepimlibs, require the removal of too many
> packages I have no idea why...
> please help, I really need to get back the older version before the last
> update.
>
> thanks,
> YB.
>
> [root@localhost djyb]# yum downgrade kdepimlibs

When you updated kdepim, you also updated other KDE libs. So the newer
version depends on the newer version of those libs, hence the long
dependency list. You could try giving all those dependencies in your
command like this:

# yum downgrade kdepimlibs <and all the dependencies>

That should take care of this.

Hopefully this helps.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Dj YB
 
Default package rollback

On Tuesday March 2 2010 17:38:55 Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On 02/03/10 02:30 PM, Dj YB wrote:
> > On Monday March 1 2010 21:32:50 Dj YB wrote:
> >> hello,
> >> yesterday I have updated kdepim related packages and many things are
> >> missing but will be back in future releases, so I wish till that time to
> >> revert to my old state.
> >> how do I do that?
> >> thanks in advance,
> >
> > trying to use yum downgrade kdepimlibs, require the removal of too many
> > packages I have no idea why...
> > please help, I really need to get back the older version before the last
> > update.
> >
> > thanks,
> > YB.
> >
> > [root@localhost djyb]# yum downgrade kdepimlibs
>
> When you updated kdepim, you also updated other KDE libs. So the newer
> version depends on the newer version of those libs, hence the long
> dependency list. You could try giving all those dependencies in your
> command like this:
>
> # yum downgrade kdepimlibs <and all the dependencies>
>
> That should take care of this.
>
> Hopefully this helps.

thanks,
I think I won't risk doing further damage to my system and wait until an
update that will fix the current package will be released.
YB.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Suvayu Ali
 
Default package rollback

Hi,

On 02/03/10 10:21 PM, Dj YB wrote:
> On Tuesday March 2 2010 17:38:55 Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On 02/03/10 02:30 PM, Dj YB wrote:
>>> On Monday March 1 2010 21:32:50 Dj YB wrote:
>>>> hello,
>>>> yesterday I have updated kdepim related packages and many things are
>>>> missing but will be back in future releases, so I wish till that time to
>>>> revert to my old state.
>>>> how do I do that?
>>>> thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> trying to use yum downgrade kdepimlibs, require the removal of too many
>>> packages I have no idea why...
>>> please help, I really need to get back the older version before the last
>>> update.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> YB.
>>>
>>> [root@localhost djyb]# yum downgrade kdepimlibs
>>
>> When you updated kdepim, you also updated other KDE libs. So the newer
>> version depends on the newer version of those libs, hence the long
>> dependency list. You could try giving all those dependencies in your
>> command like this:
>>
>> # yum downgrade kdepimlibs<and all the dependencies>
>>
>> That should take care of this.
>>
>> Hopefully this helps.
>
> thanks,
> I think I won't risk doing further damage to my system and wait until an
> update that will fix the current package will be released.
> YB.

Hopefully you don't take this post the wrong way, but maybe I wasn't
very clear. I will try to explain myself with an example. Last week
there was an update for vlc, so I'll take that as an example.

> # yum downgrade vlc
> Setting up Downgrade Process
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-1.fc12 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: vlc-core(x86-32) = 1.0.5-1.fc12 for package: vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686
> ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-2.fc12 set to be erased
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686 from rpmfusion-free-updates has depsolving problems
> --> Missing Dependency: vlc-core(x86-32) = 1.0.5-1.fc12 is needed by package vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> Error: Missing Dependency: vlc-core(x86-32) = 1.0.5-1.fc12 is needed by package vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
> package-cleanup --dupes
> rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

However, when I do

> # yum downgrade vlc vlc-core
> Setting up Downgrade Process
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-1.fc12 set to be updated <--- the *new* downgraded version
> ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-2.fc12 set to be erased <--- the version downgraded from
> ---> Package vlc-core.i686 0:1.0.5-1.fc12 set to be updated
> ---> Package vlc-core.i686 0:1.0.5-2.fc12 set to be erased
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>
> Dependencies Resolved
>
> ================================================== ==============================
> Package Arch Version Repository Size
> ================================================== ==============================
> Downgrading:
> vlc i686 1.0.5-1.fc12 rpmfusion-free-updates 1.6 M
> vlc-core i686 1.0.5-1.fc12 rpmfusion-free-updates 7.0 M
>
> Transaction Summary
> ================================================== ==============================
> Remove 0 Package(s)
> Reinstall 0 Package(s)
> Downgrade 2 Package(s)
>
> Total size: 8.6 M
> Is this ok [y/N]:

At this point I can choose to proceed or abort. And the yum output
shows me exactly what will be attempted. I as a user can see what
I am getting into and I can make an informed decision.

So my suggestion will in the least help you understand your situation
better. Just a well wishing thought ...

Good Luck sorting everything out.
--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Tim
 
Default package rollback

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 15:30 +0200, Dj YB wrote:
> trying to use yum downgrade kdepimlibs, require the removal of too
> many packages I have no idea why...

Because of interdependencies. If one thing relies on another thing, you
have to have the appropriate versions of each, you cannot change one
without changing the other, as well. And, it's not just one thing
depends on another, there's a whole chain of things that are dependent
on each other.

If all goes well, yum can manage doing that for you, all of it.

Sometimes it's easier to just wait a bit longer, until the real problem
gets fixed with an even newer update.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Dj YB
 
Default package rollback

On Wednesday March 3 2010 00:04:02 Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/03/10 10:21 PM, Dj YB wrote:
> > On Tuesday March 2 2010 17:38:55 Suvayu Ali wrote:
> >> On 02/03/10 02:30 PM, Dj YB wrote:
> >>> On Monday March 1 2010 21:32:50 Dj YB wrote:
> >>>> hello,
> >>>> yesterday I have updated kdepim related packages and many things are
> >>>> missing but will be back in future releases, so I wish till that time
> >>>> to revert to my old state.
> >>>> how do I do that?
> >>>> thanks in advance,
> >>>
> >>> trying to use yum downgrade kdepimlibs, require the removal of too many
> >>> packages I have no idea why...
> >>> please help, I really need to get back the older version before the
> >>> last update.
> >>>
> >>> thanks,
> >>> YB.
> >>>
> >>> [root@localhost djyb]# yum downgrade kdepimlibs
> >>
> >> When you updated kdepim, you also updated other KDE libs. So the newer
> >> version depends on the newer version of those libs, hence the long
> >> dependency list. You could try giving all those dependencies in your
> >> command like this:
> >>
> >> # yum downgrade kdepimlibs<and all the dependencies>
> >>
> >> That should take care of this.
> >>
> >> Hopefully this helps.
> >
> > thanks,
> > I think I won't risk doing further damage to my system and wait until an
> > update that will fix the current package will be released.
> > YB.
>
> Hopefully you don't take this post the wrong way, but maybe I wasn't
> very clear. I will try to explain myself with an example. Last week
> there was an update for vlc, so I'll take that as an example.
>
> > # yum downgrade vlc
> > Setting up Downgrade Process
> > Resolving Dependencies
> > --> Running transaction check
> > ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-1.fc12 set to be updated
> > --> Processing Dependency: vlc-core(x86-32) = 1.0.5-1.fc12 for package:
> > vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686 ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-2.fc12 set to be
> > erased
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686 from rpmfusion-free-updates has depsolving problems
> >
> > --> Missing Dependency: vlc-core(x86-32) = 1.0.5-1.fc12 is needed by
> > package vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> >
> > Error: Missing Dependency: vlc-core(x86-32) = 1.0.5-1.fc12 is needed by
> > package vlc-1.0.5-1.fc12.i686 (rpmfusion-free-updates)
> >
> > You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> > You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
> >
> > package-cleanup --dupes
> > rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>
> However, when I do
>
> > # yum downgrade vlc vlc-core
> > Setting up Downgrade Process
> > Resolving Dependencies
> > --> Running transaction check
> > ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-1.fc12 set to be updated <--- the *new*
> > downgraded version ---> Package vlc.i686 0:1.0.5-2.fc12 set to be erased
> > <--- the version downgraded from ---> Package vlc-core.i686
> > 0:1.0.5-1.fc12 set to be updated
> > ---> Package vlc-core.i686 0:1.0.5-2.fc12 set to be erased
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> >
> > Dependencies Resolved
> >
> >
================================================== =======================
> > =======
> >
> > Package Arch Version Repository
> > Size
> >
> >
================================================== =======================
> > =======
> >
> > Downgrading:
> > vlc i686 1.0.5-1.fc12 rpmfusion-free-updates
> > 1.6 M vlc-core i686 1.0.5-1.fc12
> > rpmfusion-free-updates 7.0 M
> >
> > Transaction Summary
> >
================================================== =======================
> > ======= Remove 0 Package(s)
> > Reinstall 0 Package(s)
> > Downgrade 2 Package(s)
> >
> > Total size: 8.6 M
>
> > Is this ok [y/N]:
> At this point I can choose to proceed or abort. And the yum output
> shows me exactly what will be attempted. I as a user can see what
> I am getting into and I can make an informed decision.
>
> So my suggestion will in the least help you understand your situation
> better. Just a well wishing thought ...
>
> Good Luck sorting everything out.

thanks,
what I meant was I don't want to change all 35 or so packages just to revert
kdepimlibs since I am afraid removing all these packages will do a greater
damage.
thanks for the explanations though.
YB.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Mike McCarty
 
Default package rollback

Dj YB wrote:
>>>>> On Monday March 1 2010 21:32:50 Dj YB wrote:
>>>>>> hello,
>>>>>> yesterday I have updated kdepim related packages and many things are
>>>>>> missing but will be back in future releases, so I wish till that time
>>>>>> to revert to my old state.
>>>>>> how do I do that?
>>>>>> thanks in advance,
>>>>> trying to use yum downgrade kdepimlibs, require the removal of too many
>>>>> packages I have no idea why...
>>>>> please help, I really need to get back the older version before the
>>>>> last update.

[ revert them all...]

> thanks,
> what I meant was I don't want to change all 35 or so packages just to revert
> kdepimlibs since I am afraid removing all these packages will do a greater
> damage.
> thanks for the explanations though.

IMO

The way to do what you want is...

FIRST, make a full backup of your system, and make sure that you
can successfully retrieve files from it. You need to be in
single user mode with all file systems mounted RO (except the
one to accept the backup) for this to be a guaranteed snapshot.
I'd boot to single user, unmount all file systems, except for
"/", which I'd remount to RO, and run fscks on all of them,
then mount them, with only the file system to take the backup
(if any) mounted RW.

THEN, upgrade to the new packages, and give them a trial run.

When you decide you need to "revert", then

MAKE ANOTHER BACKUP, a "differential" style one, and verify that
you can successfully retrieve files from it. Again, be in single
user mode, and all file systems mounted RO.

Then, revert the system back to the state of the full backup,
and selectively retrieve the files which changed during the
interim trial period of using the new software, getting only
those files (like e-mails, etc.) that you want, but not retrieving
the packages you installed on a trial basis.

Just installing and then trying to untangle the mess later is
too much work, and likely to have unintended consequences,
anyway.

It sounds like a lot, perhaps, but one needs to plan for such
eventualities, and IMO, it's less work to revert a system than
to try to untangle it.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
Oppose globalization and One World Governments like the UN.
This message made from 100% recycled bits.
You have found the bank of Larn.
I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Mike McCarty
 
Default package rollback

Mike McCarty wrote:
> IMO
>
> The way to do what you want is...

Another approach, which sometimes works, is to use a separate
partition for /home, /usr/local, and /opt, and possibly /var,
where you keep all your "non system" stuff, and only make a
full backup of the system part, and revert only that.

Personally, I think full backups from time to time, stored
off site, are a good idea, anyway.

Mike
--
p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){pri ntf(p,34,p,34);}
Oppose globalization and One World Governments like the UN.
This message made from 100% recycled bits.
You have found the bank of Larn.
I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org