Old 03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

Default Fedora 12, Xorg, and Apex Outlook KVM, - can't nail resolution

> > I appreciate any time and help which can be offered.
>
> Getting X to pay attention to a custom setting has
> become increasingly difficult. They ignored EDID monitor
> info for 20 years, then instantly transitioned to ignoring
> user specified settings. I waged a battle several releases
> ago documented here:
>
> http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html
>
> I doubt any of the specific things I found will help, but
> perhaps the general technique will work: Look at the xorg
> log file for the message that says why it ignored your setting,
> then look through the source of the X server and driver for
> your video card to see where it prints that message and if
> there is some setting you can change in xorg.conf to make
> it get farther. Iterate till success or you throw yourself
> off a high building :-).
>
> Or if you really want to perform a service for the linux
> community, you could travel the incredibly steep learning
> curve on EDID and xorg software and provide a new module
> for X that lets you plug in custom EDID info to override
> the stuff it tries to get from the monitor (shouldn't take more
> the 3 or 4 years to come up to speed...)
> --

As the number of years to retirement is getting into the single
digits, I might just do that. Thank you for the suggestions.

Bob

Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 07:24:55 -0600
Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> > Or if you really want to perform a service for the linux
> > community, you could travel the incredibly steep learning
> > curve on EDID and xorg software and provide a new module
> > for X that lets you plug in custom EDID info to override
> > the stuff it tries to get from the monitor (shouldn't take more
> > the 3 or 4 years to come up to speed...)
> > --
>
> As the number of years to retirement is getting into the single
> digits, I might just do that. Thank you for the suggestions.

Actually, I was poking around some on google, and found that the
nvidia binary driver already has a fake edid option, but it sure
seems like it would be more useful if it was driver independent.
(I hope all the individual drivers don't all implement separate
code to read edid info).

I even found a hardware edid emulator that lets you override
edid info outside the box on the way to the video plug :-).

Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Louis Lagendijk

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 19:21 -0600, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been looking at this for some time in both the
> archives of the list and the web in general. The problem
> is that when my Fedora 12 machine is connected though the
> KVM (Apex Outlook 8 port) the monitor shows up as "Unknown"
> and the resolution is limited to 800x600.
>
> If I plug the monitor directly into the machine, it resolves
> just fine and I have the full range of resolutions.

I understood (incorrectly?) that kernel 2.6.33 will have an option
video=xxx option that would allow to fake the EDID. Now we don't have
2.6.33 in F12, so we may have to wait for F13 to try this. I have a
similar problem here with a video splitter, so I would be quite
interested in a solution myself.....

Old 03-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:32:52 +0100
Louis Lagendijk wrote:

> I understood (incorrectly?) that kernel 2.6.33 will have an option
> video=xxx option that would allow to fake the EDID.

Yea, I guess with kernel mode setting, the fake edid would have
to happen even earlier. I hope it works, it would be nice to
have my monitor boot to the right resolution even if I wasn't
switched to it on the KVM switch when the system booted.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

> Subject: Re: Fedora 12, Xorg, and Apex Outlook KVM, - can't nail > resolution

> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 19:21 -0600, Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've been looking at this for some time in both the
> > archives of the list and the web in general. The problem
> > is that when my Fedora 12 machine is connected though the
> > KVM (Apex Outlook 8 port) the monitor shows up as "Unknown"
> > and the resolution is limited to 800x600.
> >
> > If I plug the monitor directly into the machine, it resolves
> > just fine and I have the full range of resolutions.
> >
> I understood (incorrectly?) that kernel 2.6.33 will have an option
> video=xxx option that would allow to fake the EDID. Now we don't have
> 2.6.33 in F12, so we may have to wait for F13 to try this. I have a
> similar problem here with a video splitter, so I would be quite
> interested in a solution myself.....

This is a restart of an old thread I kept in my mailbox. F13 is now out
and I am in the process of upgrading my F12 system which is still
pretty vanilla. If take the monitor out of the KVM and plug it right
into the machine, it correctly detects the monitor.

The question becomes, how do I find out what the EDID is so I can
attempt to plug it in?

<rant>Since the video card is correctly identified, if it cannot figure
out what the monitor is, it should let you use what the video
card can handle instead of locking you in to 800x600.
</rant>

Actually, if they had let me use 1024x768, I would not have noticed the
problem since that is what I wanted anyway.

Bob S.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:58:07 -0500,
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)" <robert.styma@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> <rant>Since the video card is correctly identified, if it cannot figure
> out what the monitor is, it should let you use what the video
> card can handle instead of locking you in to 800x600.
> </rant>

Except that using higher resolutions can damage monitors if they can't
handle it. Admittedly, this would be old CRTs, but the missing EDID case
is also likely to be due to old hardware.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:12 PM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

> > <rant>Since the video card is correctly identified, if it cannot figure
> > out what the monitor is, it should let you use what the video
> > card can handle instead of locking you in to 800x600.
> > </rant>
>
> Except that using higher resolutions can damage monitors if they can't
> handle it. Admittedly, this would be old CRTs, but the missing EDID case
> is also likely to be due to old hardware.

It appears that Xorg has gotten so good at protecting me from myself that
when it comes up with the wrong answer, I am just stuck. Maybe a different
8 port KVM might produce better results, but I am not ready to buy another.

Bob S.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:12:09 -0500,
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)" <robert.styma@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> It appears that Xorg has gotten so good at protecting me from myself that
> when it comes up with the wrong answer, I am just stuck. Maybe a different
> 8 port KVM might produce better results, but I am not ready to buy another.

It would be nice if old hardware was handled better, but risking destroying
hardware doesn't seem like a good solution.

I have been using xorg.conf files to handle my old monitors that don't do
EDID. This isn't a good solution, but once you get them set up you don't
need to mess with any more.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

> > It appears that Xorg has gotten so good at protecting me from myself that
> > when it comes up with the wrong answer, I am just stuck. Maybe a different
> > 8 port KVM might produce better results, but I am not ready to buy another.

> It would be nice if old hardware was handled better,
> but risking destroying
> hardware doesn't seem like a good solution.

> I have been using xorg.conf files to handle my old monitors that don't do
> EDID. This isn't a good solution, but once you get them set up you don't
> need to mess with any more.

I agree with you in principle. However, my monitor is not that old, it is
Mitsubishi 21" CRT and it is detected just fine when I plug it right into
the computer. When I run it through the KVM switch, something gets lost and
The monitor is not detected correctly. If I plug the monitor indirectly,
boot the machine, and then put the cables back in the KVM, it is fine until
the next reboot. I have tried various tricks to capture the Xorg.conf file
>From the direct plug in and then put them back. There were also various
options suggested for FC12 to disable some of the monitor scanning, but
they were ineffective.

My desire now is to find the detected EDID and hardcode it as a kernel parameter as was suggested when the thread first started.

PS. I do appreciate your time Bruno.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 16:07:22 -0500,
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)" <robert.styma@alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> My desire now is to find the detected EDID and hardcode it as a kernel parameter as was suggested when the thread first started.

A hex version of the EDID should be recorded in /var/log/Xorg.0.log when you
boot with the monitor connected directly. I don't know whether or not that
format is useful for supplying as a kernel option.