Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 AM
"Steven W. Orr"

Default Looking for advise on a special grub setup.

I have two hard drives which look like this:

/dev/sda6 9.4G 1.5G 7.5G 16% /
/dev/sda11 85G 45G 36G 57% /g
/dev/sda10 30G 6.1G 23G 22% /h
/dev/sda5 30G 21G 7.6G 74% /home
/dev/sda8 1.9G 36M 1.8G 2% /tmp
/dev/sda9 9.3G 4.7G 4.1G 54% /e
/dev/sda2 31G 19G 9.9G 66% /var
/dev/sda3 31G 9.4G 20G 33% /usr
/dev/sdb1 294G 244G 36G 88% /d2
/dev/sda1 479M 52M 403M 12% /boot
tmpfs 1.5G 472K 1.5G 1% /dev/shm

I just bought a new 1T SATA drive to add to the mix, and here's what I'd like
to do (but I don't understand how to do it).

I want to add the new drive as a third disk so that the system will continue
to boot off of sda. I'm current;y running F10 in 32 bit mode.

After I add the new drive, it will be seen as sdc, and I will want to install
F12 in 64 bit mode on sdc.

Q0: Can I tell the install DVD to install on sdc and to leave sda alone?

Q1: Is it possible to have multiple bootable devices? And how do I do this?

Next, after I'm thrilled to death that sdc is how I want it to be, I want to
make a cutover so that sdc will then become the primary boot device. My
understanding is that the four SATA plugs I have on my motherboard are defined
so that one (currently sda) is considered to be the primary device.

Q2: When I do a cutover, do I have to switch the cables on the new sdc and
what is now sda? Will the new drive end up being referred as sda and the now
current sda become sdc?

Q3: Is there a grub command I need to run to make the new drive become the
bootable device? Or do I have to then reload from scratch to make it all work?

Thanks :-)

--
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have .0.
steveo at syslang.net

Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 02/28/2010 10:03 PM, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have two hard drives which look like this:

> /dev/sda6 9.4G 1.5G 7.5G 16% /
> /dev/sda11 85G 45G 36G 57% /g
> /dev/sda10 30G 6.1G 23G 22% /h
> /dev/sda5 30G 21G 7.6G 74% /home
> /dev/sda8 1.9G 36M 1.8G 2% /tmp
> /dev/sda9 9.3G 4.7G 4.1G 54% /e
> /dev/sda2 31G 19G 9.9G 66% /var
> /dev/sda3 31G 9.4G 20G 33% /usr
> /dev/sdb1 294G 244G 36G 88% /d2
> /dev/sda1 479M 52M 403M 12% /boot
> tmpfs 1.5G 472K 1.5G 1% /dev/shm
>
> I just bought a new 1T SATA drive to add to the mix, and here's what I'd like
> to do (but I don't understand how to do it).
>
> I want to add the new drive as a third disk so that the system will continue
> to boot off of sda. I'm current;y running F10 in 32 bit mode.
>
> After I add the new drive, it will be seen as sdc, and I will want to install
> F12 in 64 bit mode on sdc.
>
> Q0: Can I tell the install DVD to install on sdc and to leave sda alone?

Yes.

> Q1: Is it possible to have multiple bootable devices? And how do I do this?

You will need to add a grub entry to sda's grub menu to boot F12 from
the sdc disk. This should be the *only* change you *need* to make to
the sda stuff.

> Next, after I'm thrilled to death that sdc is how I want it to be, I want to
> make a cutover so that sdc will then become the primary boot device. My
> understanding is that the four SATA plugs I have on my motherboard are defined
> so that one (currently sda) is considered to be the primary device.
>
> Q2: When I do a cutover, do I have to switch the cables on the new sdc and
> what is now sda? Will the new drive end up being referred as sda and the now
> current sda become sdc?

That will depend on your hardware. On mine I can configure it in my BIOS.

> Q3: Is there a grub command I need to run to make the new drive become the
> bootable device? Or do I have to then reload from scratch to make it all work?

You will need to install grub into the MBR of sdc when you change over.
That will allow you to see the grub config that you install on *that*
drive (which is different from the one you installed on sda). You may
need to set that up just before you pull sda from your configuration.

> Thanks :-)

Good Luck, and happy hacking!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 03-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Steven W. Orr writes:

I just bought a new 1T SATA drive to add to the mix, and here's what I'd like
to do (but I don't understand how to do it).

I want to add the new drive as a third disk so that the system will continue
to boot off of sda. I'm current;y running F10 in 32 bit mode.

After I add the new drive, it will be seen as sdc, and I will want to install
F12 in 64 bit mode on sdc.

Q0: Can I tell the install DVD to install on sdc and to leave sda alone?

Yes.

Q1: Is it possible to have multiple bootable devices? And how do I do this?

Not easily. You have to have a second copy of grub installed on a partition
on the new drive. Not on the new drive's master boot record, but on the
first partition. Then, add an entry on your first grub's menu.lst to
chain-load the second copy of grub. I don't recall the actual grub voodoo to
do this, have to look it up. Essentially you'll initially boot into your
first grub menu to boot your existing Fedora install, then select the grub
menu entry to boot the second copy of grub, which would boot your second
Fedora install.

I'd be surprised if Anaconda could digest this automatically. What I would
do is temporary pull sda and sdb, hook up the new sdc, install Fedora on it,
and tell Anaconda, during the install, to put grub on the partition.

Then, I'd plug the original drives in, boot the original Fedora install,
then frob its grub menu until I get it to work.

Next, after I'm thrilled to death that sdc is how I want it to be, I want to
make a cutover so that sdc will then become the primary boot device. My
understanding is that the four SATA plugs I have on my motherboard are defined
so that one (currently sda) is considered to be the primary device.

Q2: When I do a cutover, do I have to switch the cables on the new sdc and
what is now sda? Will the new drive end up being referred as sda and the now
current sda become sdc?

Generally, the primary drive that's connected to what's considered the first
SATA bus on your motherboard becomes sda.

Q3: Is there a grub command I need to run to make the new drive become the
bootable device? Or do I have to then reload from scratch to make it all work?

N/A

Now, for this to have any chance of working, you must use partition labels
to:

1) Specify the root device when booting the kernel, and

2) Specify your partitions (which includes the swap partition, if any) in
/etc/fstab

You cannot have direct references to /dev/sdc? in menu.lst or in /etc/fstab,
because after you swap out the existing drive, the new drive becomes
/dev/sda. I think that current Anaconda uses labels by default, if not
you'll have to manually fix it up. Additionally, before the swap, you'll
have to replace all refernces to (hd2,x) to (hd0,x) in menu.lst, on the new
drive, in order for grub to figure things out. Note that some of this stuff
may require manually rerunning /sbin/grub-install.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
NoSpaze

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 22:03 -0500, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have two hard drives which look like this:

> /dev/sda6 9.4G 1.5G 7.5G 16% /
> /dev/sda11 85G 45G 36G 57% /g
> /dev/sda10 30G 6.1G 23G 22% /h
> /dev/sda5 30G 21G 7.6G 74% /home
> /dev/sda8 1.9G 36M 1.8G 2% /tmp
> /dev/sda9 9.3G 4.7G 4.1G 54% /e
> /dev/sda2 31G 19G 9.9G 66% /var
> /dev/sda3 31G 9.4G 20G 33% /usr
> /dev/sdb1 294G 244G 36G 88% /d2
> /dev/sda1 479M 52M 403M 12% /boot
> tmpfs 1.5G 472K 1.5G 1% /dev/shm
>
> I just bought a new 1T SATA drive to add to the mix, and here's what I'd like
> to do (but I don't understand how to do it).
>
> I want to add the new drive as a third disk so that the system will continue
> to boot off of sda. I'm current;y running F10 in 32 bit mode.
>
> After I add the new drive, it will be seen as sdc, and I will want to install
> F12 in 64 bit mode on sdc.
>
> Q0: Can I tell the install DVD to install on sdc and to leave sda alone?

Yes. Customize partitions and check every item twice.

> Q1: Is it possible to have multiple bootable devices? And how do I do this?

Yes. This is the process you should setup:

a) Bios starts OS from the disk you select (in your case, sda)
b) Grub chooses which disk to boot from (in your case, sda1 or, say,
sdc1)

If you are not so sure, you can

a) Bios boot from sdc
b) Grub choosing boot from sda1 or sdc1

> Next, after I'm thrilled to death that sdc is how I want it to be, I want to
> make a cutover so that sdc will then become the primary boot device. My
> understanding is that the four SATA plugs I have on my motherboard are defined
> so that one (currently sda) is considered to be the primary device.
>
> Q2: When I do a cutover, do I have to switch the cables on the new sdc and
> what is now sda? Will the new drive end up being referred as sda and the now
> current sda become sdc?

Ah, you should know hoy your bios chooses which one is sda, which sdb,
etc. That depends on cabling. I believe:

IDE1/Master: hda/sda
IDE1/Slave: hdb/sdb
IDE2/Master: hdc/sdc
IDE2/Slave: hdd/sdd

and so on.

> Q3: Is there a grub command I need to run to make the new drive become the
> bootable device? Or do I have to then reload from scratch to make it all work?

Yes. just check your /boot/grub/menu.lst, google for grub and man grub

> Thanks :-)

Please, tell us by the list how it went. Greets!