Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 AM
"Styma, Robert E (Robert)"

Default Fedora 12, Xorg, and Apex Outlook KVM, - can't nail resolution

Hi,
I've been looking at this for some time in both the
archives of the list and the web in general. The problem
is that when my Fedora 12 machine is connected though the
KVM (Apex Outlook 8 port) the monitor shows up as "Unknown"
and the resolution is limited to 800x600.

If I plug the monitor directly into the machine, it resolves
just fine and I have the full range of resolutions.

I tried an number of things so far and the one which seemed
most promising was to plug the monitor directly into the
machine and go to run level 3. I then ran "xorg -configure"
which created /root/xorg.conf.new (I may be remembering the
syntax of the command incorrectly). I copied that to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and uncommented the NoDDC option with the syntax:
Option "NoDDC" "True"

Unfortunately the results are unchanged. The Xorg.0.log appears
to show that the xorg.conf file is being read, but it goes out
and probes the monitor anyway.

http://www.styma.org/xorg.conf

http://www.styma.org/Xorg.0.log

I have put the xorg.conf file and Xorg.0.log out at my web
site in the hope someone can give me a pointer on how to
make X use what I tell it in the xorg.conf file and not
do the probes itself. Note that my Fedora 6 machine, Redhat 9
machine, sparc 20, and assorted Windows machines work
fine.

I appreciate any time and help which can be offered.

Bob Styma

Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:21:29 -0600
Styma, Robert E (Robert) wrote:

> I appreciate any time and help which can be offered.

Getting X to pay attention to a custom setting has
become increasingly difficult. They ignored EDID monitor
info for 20 years, then instantly transitioned to ignoring
user specified settings. I waged a battle several releases
ago documented here:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/easy-linux.html

I doubt any of the specific things I found will help, but
perhaps the general technique will work: Look at the xorg
log file for the message that says why it ignored your setting,
then look through the source of the X server and driver for
your video card to see where it prints that message and if
there is some setting you can change in xorg.conf to make
it get farther. Iterate till success or you throw yourself
off a high building :-).

Or if you really want to perform a service for the linux
community, you could travel the incredibly steep learning
curve on EDID and xorg software and provide a new module
for X that lets you plug in custom EDID info to override
the stuff it tries to get from the monitor (shouldn't take more
the 3 or 4 years to come up to speed...)