Old 02-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Alan Cox

Default Installing Fedora Core 12 on a system with a IT8212 SATA Controller

> > I have a machine whose only hard drive is a SATA 160GB (Western
> > Digital). The SATA controller is an ITE IT8212 (a raid controller, but
> > I'm not using that feature).

The IT8212 is a PATA controller not SATA. I guess they may have wired
SATA bridges to it.

> machine I had to get the driver from the mfg web page and compile it
> myself. But later (I think it was at the Centos/RHEL5 transition) I found
> that there was a working driver in the system. So, I'd expect that Fedora
> 12 would have it built in too.

It does. One thing worth noting is that the chip has two modes. In the
RAID mode it doesn't support CD-ROM devices but handles basic raid stuff
itself via its embedded microcontroller. In non-RAID mode it behaves
exactly like a standard IDE controller. Both modes are supported. RAID 0
is generally best done using software RAID in Linux, RAID 1 there are
advantages to doing it either way. Some of the RAID firmwares are a bit
flakey so if you get a problem boot it with the device in non-RAID mode.
(if the BIOS won't let you set it then try 'pata_it821x.noraid=1' as a
boot option.

Alan

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Roger

On 03/01/2010 02:13 AM, Iain Davis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a machine whose only hard drive is a SATA 160GB (Western
> Digital). The SATA controller is an ITE IT8212 (a raid controller, but
> I'm not using that feature).
>
> The OS on the machine is Windows XP, but I'll be wiping that out and
> replacing it with Fedora 12 Core. However, when I boot from the Fedora
> 12 DVD and run the installer, I reach the point where you select the
> language, U.S. English, click next and it pops up a micro-dialog
> saying its searching for disk drives...which it sits on for a long
> while. Then the dialog goes away...but it doesn't progress to the next
> screen.
>
> I'm currently assuming that it can't find the SATA drive, but I was
> hoping for some help, since I'm not comfortable with how Fedora's
> install process works.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Iain

Iain
I had that problem and found that it was searching for a floppy drive
and another drive that had been removed from the system.
I went into the bios <del> at start up and made sure the floppy and
drives were set to none except for the drive I wanted to install to.
Install went very fast after that.
Roger

Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Bill Davidsen

Alan Cox wrote:
>>> I have a machine whose only hard drive is a SATA 160GB (Western
>>> Digital). The SATA controller is an ITE IT8212 (a raid controller, but
>>> I'm not using that feature).
>
> The IT8212 is a PATA controller not SATA. I guess they may have wired
> SATA bridges to it.
>
>> machine I had to get the driver from the mfg web page and compile it
>> myself. But later (I think it was at the Centos/RHEL5 transition) I found
>> that there was a working driver in the system. So, I'd expect that Fedora
>> 12 would have it built in too.
>
> It does. One thing worth noting is that the chip has two modes. In the
> RAID mode it doesn't support CD-ROM devices but handles basic raid stuff
> itself via its embedded microcontroller. In non-RAID mode it behaves
> exactly like a standard IDE controller. Both modes are supported. RAID 0
> is generally best done using software RAID in Linux, RAID 1 there are
> advantages to doing it either way. Some of the RAID firmwares are a bit
> flakey so if you get a problem boot it with the device in non-RAID mode.
> (if the BIOS won't let you set it then try 'pata_it821x.noraid=1' as a
> boot option.

Thanks, that sounds like a good way to get one of these into JBOD mode when the
BIOS is a POS (r).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>