Old 02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
fred smith

Default Installing Fedora Core 12 on a system with a IT8212 SATA Controller

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 09:13:43AM -0600, Iain Davis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a machine whose only hard drive is a SATA 160GB (Western
> Digital). The SATA controller is an ITE IT8212 (a raid controller, but
> I'm not using that feature).
>
> The OS on the machine is Windows XP, but I'll be wiping that out and
> replacing it with Fedora 12 Core. However, when I boot from the Fedora
> 12 DVD and run the installer, I reach the point where you select the
> language, U.S. English, click next and it pops up a micro-dialog
> saying its searching for disk drives...which it sits on for a long
> while. Then the dialog goes away...but it doesn't progress to the next
> screen.
>
> I'm currently assuming that it can't find the SATA drive, but I was
> hoping for some help, since I'm not comfortable with how Fedora's
> install process works.

I've got a (now on the shelf due to upgrading) motherboard that uses that
chip as a secondary ide/sata controller. Back when I ran Centos4 on that
machine I had to get the driver from the mfg web page and compile it
myself. But later (I think it was at the Centos/RHEL5 transition) I found
that there was a working driver in the system. So, I'd expect that Fedora
12 would have it built in too.

Now when I say "working", pls note that I wasn't using it as a SATA
controller, but rather PATA, so YMMV.

The Lord detests the way of the wicked