Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   firefox / rhythmbox sound issues (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/333423-firefox-rhythmbox-sound-issues.html)

Max Pyziur 02-28-2010 02:49 PM

firefox / rhythmbox sound issues
 
Greetings,

I've noticed that when I have firefox open (haven't checked this w/ other
browsers) and have watched/listened to a file with sound, I can't later
open rhythmbox and listen to a sound file or podcast.

Is this a configuration issue where both apps can be open and used at
least alternately, if not concurrently?

Thanks.

Max Pyziur
pyz@brama.com


p.s.
Select output from lshw
description: Motherboard
product: DG965SS
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
version: AAD41678-306
serial: BQSS715001N5
slot: Base Board Chassis Location


*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 02
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
resources: irq:22 memory:90420000-90423fff

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Nigel Henry 02-28-2010 03:33 PM

firefox / rhythmbox sound issues
 
On Sunday 28 February 2010 16:49, Max Pyziur wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've noticed that when I have firefox open (haven't checked this w/ other
> browsers) and have watched/listened to a file with sound, I can't later
> open rhythmbox and listen to a sound file or podcast.
>
> Is this a configuration issue where both apps can be open and used at
> least alternately, if not concurrently?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Max Pyziur
> pyz@brama.com
>

I think that, that is a flash issue, where when you've finished listening to
something, flash insists on hanging on to /dev/dsp, thus stopping other sound
apps from playing.

I'd been listening to the BBC radio with realplayer, stopped realplayer, then
opened the BBC's iplayer which uses flash in Firefox. Played the BBC stream
for a bit in Firefox (which is terrible dues to the flash stream requiring
more bandwidth than my dialup connection can deliver), then stopped the
iplayer, also closing the tab for it, and tried to start realplayer playing
again, without success.

I had to close firefox completely before flash would let go of /dev/dsp. Only
after that would realplayer work again.

Try the line below when you've used flash, and can't get other sound apps to
play afterwards. It will tell you what is grabbing the soundcard.

/usr/sbin/lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp

The problem is that most soundcards are only able to play sound from one app
at a time, unless you have an audigy2 soundblaster card which is capable of
hardware mixing, and dealing with multiple audio streams. Saying that though,
dmix is supposed to be able to deal with multiple sound apps on other cards.
I think that flash may be the exception.

Leaving flash out of the equation, I have no problems with other apps failing
to release the soundcard when I stop the app. and I mean just stop the app
playing, not closing it completely. for example, I can play something in
realplayer, stop it, then play something with mhwaveedit, stop that, and
start playing realplayer again with no problems. That's on my very old FC2
install, which machine has an Ensoniq (ens1371) soundcard.

Apologies for Sunday afternoon ramble.

Nigel.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Marko Vojinovic 02-28-2010 06:33 PM

firefox / rhythmbox sound issues
 
On Sunday 28 February 2010 04:33:02 pm Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 28 February 2010 16:49, Max Pyziur wrote:
> > I've noticed that when I have firefox open (haven't checked this w/ other
> > browsers) and have watched/listened to a file with sound, I can't later
> > open rhythmbox and listen to a sound file or podcast.
> >
> > Is this a configuration issue where both apps can be open and used at
> > least alternately, if not concurrently?

This should be a non-issue if you are running pulseaudio. Is something not
working on that end?

> I think that, that is a flash issue, where when you've finished listening
> to something, flash insists on hanging on to /dev/dsp, thus stopping other
> sound apps from playing.
>
[snip]
>
> The problem is that most soundcards are only able to play sound from one
> app at a time, unless you have an audigy2 soundblaster card which is
> capable of hardware mixing, and dealing with multiple audio streams.
> Saying that though, dmix is supposed to be able to deal with multiple
> sound apps on other cards. I think that flash may be the exception.

This is one of the reasons pulseaudio exists. You don't need audigy2 hardware
mixing, pulseaudio is doing the same thing in software if there is no hardware
support. And there should be no exceptions, even flash plays concurrently with
other apps here on my F12.

That said, I've never actually used rhythmbox. But did use xmms, amarok, kscd,
mplayer, firefox&flash, kde system sounds, quake3, skype, ... They all work
simultaneously (if I want them to), and I can use pavucontrol to adjust the
volume of each app, and the output device. I have a 5.1 speaker system
attached to the soundcard, and a bluetooth headset which behaves as a second
audio sink. It's easy to adjust which app is going to play on what device,
which microphone will be used for what, and all that stuff...

> Leaving flash out of the equation, I have no problems with other apps
> failing to release the soundcard when I stop the app. and I mean just stop
> the app playing, not closing it completely. for example, I can play
> something in realplayer, stop it, then play something with mhwaveedit,
> stop that, and start playing realplayer again with no problems. That's on
> my very old FC2 install, which machine has an Ensoniq (ens1371) soundcard.

On FC2 I guess that is the only thing you can do. But if you want better audio
experience, I suggest installing a modern Fedora.

HTH, :-)
Marko

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.