Old 02-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Kenneth Wolcott

Default openoffice 3.2 rpm for fedora; yum search returns nothing for openoffice

Hi;

openoffice 3.2 rpm for fedora; yum search returns nothing for openoffice

cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 12 (Constantine)

"rpm -qa | grep -o open | grep -i office" returns nothing

I downloaded the tar.gz file from openoffice.org, but would prefer to
install an rpm

Tried to use alien to convert but apparently alien broken

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Old 02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
M A Young

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

> Hi;
>
> openoffice 3.2 rpm for fedora; yum search returns nothing for openoffice
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
>
> "rpm -qa | grep -o open | grep -i office" returns nothing
>
> I downloaded the tar.gz file from openoffice.org, but would prefer to
> install an rpm
>
> Tried to use alien to convert but apparently alien broken

It is unlikely that oo.o 3.2 will be packaged for Fedora 12 since it may
be seen as too major a jump to make within a release. The are however 3.2
RPMs for the Fedora 13 development version which should appear in an alpha
version within the next couple of weeks, so you could try packages from
that, or just upgrade your whole OS to it. Note that mixing RPMs from
different Fedora versions can cause problems so I would recommend a fair
amount of expertise in resolving package conflicts (and in the worst case
scenario recovering a non-functional or partially functional system
and/or good backups).

Michael Young

Old 02-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Kenneth Wolcott

Hi Michael;

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 04:36, M A Young <m.a.young@durham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>
>> Hi;
>>
>> openoffice 3.2 rpm for fedora; yum search returns nothing for openoffice
>>
>> cat /etc/redhat-release
>> Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
>>
>> "rpm -qa | grep -o open | grep -i office" returns nothing
>>
>> I downloaded the tar.gz file from openoffice.org, but would prefer to
>> install an rpm
>>
>> Tried to use alien to convert but apparently alien broken
>
> It is unlikely that oo.o 3.2 will be packaged for Fedora 12 since it may
> be seen as too major a jump to make within a release. The are however 3.2
> RPMs for the Fedora 13 development version which should appear in an alpha
> version within the next couple of weeks, so you could try packages from
> that, or just upgrade your whole OS to it. Note that mixing RPMs from
> different Fedora versions can cause problems so I would recommend a fair
> amount of expertise in resolving package conflicts (and in the worst case
> scenario recovering a non-functional or partially functional system
> and/or good backups).

How about the most current version of OpenOffice that is properly
supported by Fedora 12? :-)

Thanks,
Ken

Old 02-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 03:02 -0800, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> Hi;
>
> openoffice 3.2 rpm for fedora; yum search returns nothing for openoffice
>
> cat /etc/redhat-release
> Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
>
> "rpm -qa | grep -o open | grep -i office" returns nothing

All that means is that you don't have it installed.

[...]

You need to use the right name (which is not obvious I'm afraid). Try

yum groupinfo Office/Productivity

or

yum info openoffice.org*

poc

Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Kenneth Wolcott

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 05:28, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 03:02 -0800, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>> openoffice 3.2 rpm for fedora; yum search returns nothing for openoffice
>>
>> cat /etc/redhat-release
>> Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
>>
>> "rpm -qa | grep -o open | grep -i office" returns nothing
>
> All that means is that you don't have it installed.
>
> [...]
>
> You need to use the right name (which is not obvious I'm afraid). Try
>
> yum groupinfo Office/Productivity
>
> or
>
> yum info openoffice.org*
>
> poc