Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM
William Case

Default Upgrading i686 vs. x86_64. Just checking ! --

Hi;

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 18:05 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Saturday 27 February 2010 05:24:32 pm bruce wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> > > I am using a *fc12.x86_64 machine. I just now upgraded several packages
> > > with yum (yumex) and noticed several i686 packages being upgraded as
> > > well. Is this normal? Are some packages I have using i686 when I
> > > should have only *.86_64 on my machine? Should I remove ALL i686
> > > packages or just leave them alone? I am not overly concerned; just
> > > wondering.

> I agree. If you have 32bit packages on a (cleanly installed) 64bit system,
> then they are there probably because something depends on them. Removing them
> with yum might give you a hint what app needs them, and could break it if you
> insist.
>
> If you have upgraded to F12 from F11 or so, there might be stale 32bit
> packages which are not needed anymore (like ndiswrapper, or was it
> nspluginwrapper, or...?). In that case it is probably safe to remove them.

The move from FC11 to FC12 was an upgrade. There is probably some i686
(i386) left on my system that I don't even remember putting there.
Instead of looking for them I will make FC13 a virgin install.

It could be all kinds of stuff. One of the reasons I use Fedora is to
try out new things (at least, new to me). If I wanted hard rock
stability I would go to another distribution such as Ubuntu or Debian.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28