Old 02-27-2010, 03:31 PM
William Case

Default Upgrading i686 vs. x86_64. Just checking !

Hi;

I am using a *fc12.x86_64 machine. I just now upgraded several packages
with yum (yumex) and noticed several i686 packages being upgraded as
well. Is this normal? Are some packages I have using i686 when I
should have only *.86_64 on my machine? Should I remove ALL i686
packages or just leave them alone? I am not overly concerned; just
wondering.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
bruce

leave them alone!!!

as far as i know.. there is no true, only x64 OS from the redhat
tree... although i think solaris has an actual tryu 64 bit OS...

the 64 bit OS linux from redhat (fedora/centos/rhel/etc.. ) comes with
a combination if i recall...

enjoy!!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:31:26 -0500,
William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am using a *fc12.x86_64 machine. I just now upgraded several packages
> with yum (yumex) and noticed several i686 packages being upgraded as
> well. Is this normal? Are some packages I have using i686 when I
> should have only *.86_64 on my machine? Should I remove ALL i686
> packages or just leave them alone? I am not overly concerned; just
> wondering.

Libraries and development packages for supporting running i686 applications
on an otherwise x86_64 machine.
Currently wine is i686 only, so having that installed would be one way
you could have ended up with some i686 packages installed.