-   -   firefox flash plugin duplicates! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/332992-firefox-flash-plugin-duplicates.html)

Mike Cloaked 02-27-2010 03:03 PM

firefox flash plugin duplicates!

Actually I found the answer by fiddling around - after updating the
flash-plugin it is important, if not vital, to then go to the firefox
profile and delete the pluginreg.dat file with firefox closed down, and then
next time you restart firefox the plugin data is correct and does show the
up to date flash-plugin

Shame that updating the flash-plugin does not update this automatically!!

Tim 02-28-2010 08:31 AM

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 08:03 -0800, Mike Cloaked wrote:

> Actually I found the answer by fiddling around - after updating the
> flash-plugin it is important, if not vital, to then go to the firefox
> profile and delete the pluginreg.dat file with firefox closed down,
> and then next time you restart firefox the plugin data is correct and
> does show the up to date flash-plugin
>
> Shame that updating the flash-plugin does not update this
> automatically!!

Obvious question: Had you shutdown and restarted Firefox after updating
the plugin?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Mike Cloaked 02-28-2010 10:04 AM

tim-9-3 wrote:

> Obvious question: Had you shutdown and restarted Firefox after updating
> the plugin?

Indeed I had - many many times!

Mike Cloaked 02-28-2010 10:13 AM

tim-9-3 wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 08:03 -0800, Mike Cloaked wrote:
>>
>> Actually I found the answer by fiddling around - after updating the
>> flash-plugin it is important, if not vital, to then go to the firefox
>> profile and delete the pluginreg.dat file with firefox closed down,
>> and then next time you restart firefox the plugin data is correct and
>> does show the up to date flash-plugin
>>
>> Shame that updating the flash-plugin does not update this
>> automatically!!
>
> Obvious question: Had you shutdown and restarted Firefox after updating
> the plugin?

By the way if you update your flash-plugin via yum using the adobe repo it
is easy to see if you have the same issue as I had by simply going to
about:plugins and seeing whether you have more than one entry for the flash
plugin? I would be interested to know if anyone else sees this, and whether
or not this also happens if updating the flash plugin by other methods like
manually updating by downloading the install file?

In my case it happened on all machines - some running f11 and others f12 -
but every machine where I install and update flash-plugin by setting the
adobe-linux-i386.repo file to contain:

[adobe-linux-i386]
name=Adobe Systems Incorporated
baseurl=http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-adobe-linux

this always happens. This is installable from the rpm at
http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

Anyway - anyone else see this issue?

Mike Cloaked 02-28-2010 10:15 AM

The full instructions/recipe are at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash