Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Tom Horsley

Default logwatch customizing?

I was formerly able to edit the file

/usr/share/logwatch/scripts/services/dovecot

to discard all the individual dovecot deliver messages
about storing each message in each mailbox.

Now, even though my pattern clearly matches the
message, my changes no longer take effect.

Is logwatch doing some sort of "compilation" process
or something on these scripts which I need to do
to make my changes take effect?

Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Chris Rouch

Did you already copy it to the same directory under /etc/logwatch?
Logwatch looks there for local changes.

Regards,

Chris

Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:08:17 +0100
Chris Rouch wrote:

> Did you already copy it to the same directory under /etc/logwatch?
> Logwatch looks there for local changes.

Nah, I edit the file directly because if I make a local copy, I
don't get any updates (of course updates kill my changes, but I've
never had any problem re-applying them before).

For reasons I can't understand, I was able to make my change
happen by moving it into the chunk of code where it gathers
"unmatched" lines. I just discard it there instead of discarding
it earlier (which should have worked since it always did in the
past).

Maybe what I really need to do is put a local filter in /etc/logwatch
that discards all the lines I don't want to see, gthen runs the
rest through th

Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Tom Horsley

Truncation error :-). That should have said:

Maybe what I really need to do is put a local filter in /etc/logwatch
that discards all the lines I don't want to see, then runs the
rest through the /usr/share/logwatch filter. That would get
updates from the repos as well as always throwing away the junk I
don't want (but is slightly more complex to implement).