-   -   Firewall setting needed for NFS? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/332878-firewall-setting-needed-nfs.html)

"Michael D. Setzer II" 02-27-2010 08:50 AM

Firewall setting needed for NFS?

I'm trying to figure out the firewall options for NFS setup.
If I completely disable the firewall, it works fine.
I've found a number of pages that say what ports need to be opened, but it
continues to fail even with all those ports open.

I don't have a need for the NFS, but I've had a number of users of my G4L
disk imaging program that want to use NFS in addition to the SSHFS and
CIFS that it already supports. It can also image to local partitions or ftp
servers.

I even used wireshark to monitor the transactions to see what ports were
used for a connection with the firewall disabled, but it didn't work when I
opened those ports.

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 9,422,644.387946 | EINSTEIN 3,793,321.460851
ROSETTA 1,721,675.117960 | ABC 181,634.244915

Tom H 02-27-2010 09:50 AM

Firewall setting needed for NFS?

> I'm trying to figure out the firewall options for NFS setup.
> If I completely disable the firewall, it works fine.
> I've found a number of pages that say what ports *need to be opened, but it
> continues to fail even with *all those ports open.

> I don't have a need for the NFS, but I've had a number of users of my G4L
> disk imaging program that want to use NFS in addition to the SSHFS and
> CIFS that it already supports. *It can also image to local partitions or ftp
> servers.

NFS ports are assigned dynamically. You have to set them to static numbers in
/etc/sysconfig/nfs
in order to open those ports (the ones that you are using) with iptables
LOCKD_TCPPORT=
LOCKD_UDPPORT=
MOUNTD_PORT=
RQUOTAD_PORT=
STATD_PORT=
STATD_OUTGOING_PORT=
and then open the ports that you set there as well as 111 (portmapper)
and 2049 (nfsd)