Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default how to crank the cooling fan to max on f12?

a couple times recently, during a lengthy compile, my f12 laptop
maxed out in terms of critical temperature and simply shut itself
down. the fan has always been a bit weird, normally oscillating
between fast and slow speed with a period of a few seconds. can i
just manually set the fan to maximum speed?

i can (allegedly) examine the current temp via
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ00/temperature, which currently shows 82C
(that's gone up significantly in the last couple minutes since i
started the build). so i just want to max the fan, if that's
possible. thoughts?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 02-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Mail Lists

> /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ00/temperature, which currently shows 82C
> (that's gone up significantly in the last couple minutes since i

Yikes - that is hot.

I dont know how to control the fan - however I'd strongly urge you to
blow out any dust - a burst of compressed air (or even mouth to lap) on
the cpu intake vent can do wonders.