Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM
jack craig

Default Moblin to Fedora via usbdrive on netbook

Hi Folks,

Its time to rip Moblin & replace with Fedora on my asus netbook.

I setup an image using the instructions on htis link...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#System_Requirements

but upon boot, i get a short quick error msg and then moblin boots.

Has anyone successfully used the usb drive approach to load fedora on a
netbook/

if so, any clues to share?

tia, jackc...

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Steven I Usdansky

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but here's how I do it:
on my Aspire One:
1. Download a live cd
2. Install livecd-tools
3. use livecd-iso-to-disk to place the iso image on a bootable USB stick
4. Boot from the USB stick and select install on hard drive

Old 02-26-2010, 10:52 PM
jack craig

Its time to rip Moblin & replace with Fedora on my asus netbook.
I setup an image using the instructions on htis link...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo#System_Requirements

but upon boot, i get a short quick error msg and then moblin boots.
Has anyone successfully used the usb drive approach to load fedora on a
netbook/

if so, any clues to share?

tia, jackc...

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're trying to do, but here's how I do it:
on my Aspire One:
1. Download a live cd
2. Install livecd-tools
3. use livecd-iso-to-disk to place the iso image on a bootable USB stick
4. Boot from the USB stick and select install on hard drive

hey Steven,

i think you get it just fine. i was using the liveusb gui to create the
usbstick.

i saw the command line option in the page referenced above, but didnt
try it.

i'll give that a whirl.

are you still running 1 GB or ram? i am concerned about how fast (or
not) my result

netbook performance may be...

thx!!

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Steven I Usdansky

I'm running with no swap, 1GB RAM, and no complaints about the speed.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM
jack craig

On 02/27/2010 04:32 AM, Steven I Usdansky wrote:
> [...]
Great! as you mention no swap, is that a recommended config for netbooks or just your choice?

thx again, jackc..

--
jack craig
jackc@LinuxLightHouse.com