Old 02-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Jan Litwiński

Default SAMBA poor performance

G'day Marco,

* Marco Maccaferri <macca@maccasoft.com> [100226 19:03] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently noticed an extremely poor performance when trasfering
> files from Linux to a Windows XP notebook using samba. The notebook is
> using a wireless connection so I initially tought about some
> interferences from nearby devices but I can transfer up to 300KB/sec.
> from the internet so it isn't the wireless connection.
>
> Transfering from Linux is running at 8-20KB/sec., it wasn't that slow
> initially, unfortunately I don't use samba so often to know when it
> started to degrade. I tried some suggestions found on the web without
> any effect.
>
> I'm still using Fedora 10/x86_64 and can't update in the near future,
> samba version is 3.2.15-0.36.
>
> Any suggestion ?

to global section add this:

socket options= TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

--
Janek
http://janek.wroc.prv.pl/

Old 02-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 19:15 +0100, Jan Litwiński wrote:
> G'day Marco,
>
> * Marco Maccaferri <macca@maccasoft.com> [100226 19:03] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently noticed an extremely poor performance when trasfering
> > files from Linux to a Windows XP notebook using samba. The notebook is
> > using a wireless connection so I initially tought about some
> > interferences from nearby devices but I can transfer up to 300KB/sec.
> > from the internet so it isn't the wireless connection.
> >
> > Transfering from Linux is running at 8-20KB/sec., it wasn't that slow
> > initially, unfortunately I don't use samba so often to know when it
> > started to degrade. I tried some suggestions found on the web without
> > any effect.
> >
> > I'm still using Fedora 10/x86_64 and can't update in the near future,
> > samba version is 3.2.15-0.36.
> >
> > Any suggestion ?
>
> to global section add this:
>
> socket options= TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
----
TCP_NODELAY is the default now

the rest of those options were useful for 2.4 kernels but of no impact
on current distributions and I don't understand why people persist on
using them.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 18:55 +0100, Marco Maccaferri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently noticed an extremely poor performance when trasfering
> files from Linux to a Windows XP notebook using samba. The notebook is
> using a wireless connection so I initially tought about some
> interferences from nearby devices but I can transfer up to 300KB/sec.
> from the internet so it isn't the wireless connection.
>
> Transfering from Linux is running at 8-20KB/sec., it wasn't that slow
> initially, unfortunately I don't use samba so often to know when it
> started to degrade. I tried some suggestions found on the web without
> any effect.
>
> I'm still using Fedora 10/x86_64 and can't update in the near future,
> samba version is 3.2.15-0.36.
>
> Any suggestion ?
----
yes, prove it...

Comparing your Internet speeds is not the same thing.

Try transferring a large file via scp or ftp or sftp and comparing that
with the samba connection. (WinSCP is freely available for your Windows
laptop).

I would bet that the speeds are the same samba & scp and that samba is
not at all the issue but this is the surest way to know.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Marco Maccaferri

On 26/02/2010 20:23 Craig White ha scritto:

> Try transferring a large file via scp or ftp or sftp and comparing that
> with the samba connection. (WinSCP is freely available for your Windows
> laptop).
>
> I would bet that the speeds are the same samba & scp and that samba is
> not at all the issue but this is the surest way to know.

Well, you are right, transfering with winscp has the same poor
performance as transfering with samba. I guess that something is broken
in my network then.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
Marco.