FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Mike Flannigan
 
Default Fedora Install

I would like to get any flavor of Linux installed
to my older-generation computer. I have 2
old computers:
x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 AT/AT Compatible 130,596 KB Ram
Intel (R) 4 CPU 1400 MHz 130,352 KB Ram

I know that x86 is a Pentium 3.


I have tried 2 different downloaded versions
of the single CD install:
Fedora 12 i686-LIVE
I don't want a dual boot - I want a clean install.

I have tried it at least 15 times.
It boots to the disk and gets to various places
each time. Sometimes it freezes soon on
the lemon icon blue screen. Usually it gets
past that, sometimes to the "Press 'I' to enter
interactive startup". It takes the 'I' I press,
but never does anything after that. I have
let it run all night, but it doesn't do anything
else.

I want to make a move from Win to Linux and
need a starting point. Buying a new computer
is not out-of-the-question, but I'd like to put
that off until later if possible.

I have an old Dell portable and a 64 bit Linux
2-yo portable I am also willing to use for this.

I am open to any suggestions on what to do
and what to use.


Mike Flannigan

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM
NoSpaze
 
Default Fedora Install

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 07:23 -0600, Mike Flannigan wrote:
> I would like to get any flavor of Linux installed
> to my older-generation computer. I have 2
> old computers:
> x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 AT/AT Compatible 130,596 KB Ram
> Intel (R) 4 CPU 1400 MHz 130,352 KB Ram
> I know that x86 is a Pentium 3.

Not really. x86 covers a family of processors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

That seems like a pentium 4. If so, the problem is the RAM amount.

> I have tried 2 different downloaded versions
> of the single CD install:
> Fedora 12 i686-LIVE
> I don't want a dual boot - I want a clean install.
>
> I have tried it at least 15 times.
> It boots to the disk and gets to various places
> each time. Sometimes it freezes soon on
> the lemon icon blue screen. Usually it gets
> past that, sometimes to the "Press 'I' to enter
> interactive startup". It takes the 'I' I press,
> but never does anything after that. I have
> let it run all night, but it doesn't do anything
> else.

Sure. These are the requirements for a fedora install (you have half of
256Mb required).
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/installation-quick-start-guide/f12/en-US/html/Requirements.html

You can try another distro (ie damn small linux), or (recommended)
adding some memory. This way you'll enjoy a full updated great fedora
distro experience.

Greets!
----------------------------------------------
Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar@padep.org.bo
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
----------------------------------------------


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Patrick Bartek
 
Default Fedora Install

--- On Fri, 2/26/10, Mike Flannigan <mikeflan@att.net> wrote:

> I would like to get any flavor of Linux installed
> to my older-generation computer.* I have 2
> old computers:
> x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 AT/AT Compatible 130,596 KB
> Ram
> Intel (R) 4 CPU 1400 MHz 130,352 KB Ram
>
> I know that x86 is a Pentium 3.
>
>
> I have tried 2 different downloaded versions
> of the single CD install:
> Fedora 12 i686-LIVE
> I don't want a dual boot - I want a clean install.
>
> I have tried it at least 15 times.
> [snip]

You lack sufficient RAM (probably) and/or your hardware (particularly the video card/chip) is so old that the drivers are not included in the distro. I suggest you try a "lightweight" distro designed for older systems. Here are a few, in no particular order, that I use:

Slax -- http://www.slax.org/
Puppy -- http://www.puppylinux.com/
Vector -- http://www.vectorlinux.com/

All have LiveCD versions, and can do a standard install from the LiveCD.

B
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-27-2010, 03:45 AM
"R. G. Newbury"
 
Default Fedora Install

On 02/26/2010 02:21 PM, users-request@lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:

> I would like to get any flavor of Linux installed
> to my older-generation computer. I have 2
> old computers:
> x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 AT/AT Compatible 130,596 KB Ram
> Intel (R) 4 CPU 1400 MHz 130,352 KB Ram
>
> I know that x86 is a Pentium 3.
>
>
> I have tried 2 different downloaded versions
> of the single CD install:
> Fedora 12 i686-LIVE
> I don't want a dual boot - I want a clean install.

If you check the fedora site you can get a direct install iso. The
easiest one to grab is the dvd iso.

You probably have too little RAM for a graphical install. You might try
selecting a text install at the first (or so) screen.
The live-cd is intended to run from the CD so you can check that it will
run. There is an option to install from the running live-cd instance.
But you need more memory to get it to run at all, by the looks of it.

Geoff


--
Please let me know if anything I say offends you.
I may wish to offend you again in the future.

Tux says: "Be regular. Eat cron flakes."
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Mike Flannigan
 
Default Fedora Install

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, nospaze@gmail.com wrote:
>
>On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 07:23 -0600, Mike Flannigan wrote:
>> > I would like to get any flavor of Linux installed
>> > to my older-generation computer. I have 2
>> > old computers:
>> > x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 AT/AT Compatible 130,596 KB Ram
>> > Intel (R) 4 CPU 1400 MHz 130,352 KB Ram
>> > I know that x86 is a Pentium 3.
>Not really. x86 covers a family of processors.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
>
>That seems like a pentium 4. If so, the problem is the RAM amount.
>
>> > I have tried 2 different downloaded versions
>> > of the single CD install:
>> > Fedora 12 i686-LIVE
>> > I don't want a dual boot - I want a clean install.
>> >
>> > I have tried it at least 15 times.
>> > It boots to the disk and gets to various places
>> > each time. Sometimes it freezes soon on
>> > the lemon icon blue screen. Usually it gets
>> > past that, sometimes to the "Press 'I' to enter
>> > interactive startup". It takes the 'I' I press,
>> > but never does anything after that. I have
>> > let it run all night, but it doesn't do anything
>> > else.
>Sure. These are the requirements for a fedora install (you have half of
>256Mb required).
>http://docs.fedoraproject.org/installation-quick-start-guide/f12/en-US/html/Requirements.html
>
>You can try another distro (ie damn small linux), or (recommended)
>adding some memory. This way you'll enjoy a full updated great fedora
>distro experience.
>


Thank you Rodolfo and all others who commented.
That RAM deficit is apparently the root of the
problem.

On the advice of others I am going to try Ubuntu
next. I hope that works.

I'm still reading through all the responses I got.


Mike

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:52 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org