Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default F12: Yum - network disconnects spins it's wheels.

Seems to me, that Yum is performing quite
badly. I often get network disconnects and Yum
keeps spinning after going into 0.0b transfer rates
forever and requires a forced kill.

Anyone see this problem?

I am of course using NetworkManager, and wonder
if I should use the old-network connectivity style?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Ed Greshko

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Seems to me, that Yum is performing quite
> badly. I often get network disconnects and Yum
> keeps spinning after going into 0.0b transfer rates
> forever and requires a forced kill.

Ahhh.... If you are getting network disconnects then any application
yum, firefox, etc. which connects to a remote server would certainly
suffer. Some apps/protocols may recover better when the network is
restored.

So, are you saying that in your case the network connection is dropping
frequently and yum isn't recovering as you'd expect?

Or....
> Anyone see this problem?
>
> I am of course using NetworkManager, and wonder
> if I should use the old-network connectivity style?
Are you saying you're having frequent network disconnects, but you don't
know why, and you are trying to solve that problem?

--
Sigh. I like to think it's just the Linux people who want to be on the
"leading edge" so bad they walk right off the precipice. (Craig E.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 02/25/2010 03:21 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>
>> Seems to me, that Yum is performing quite
>> badly. I often get network disconnects and Yum
>> keeps spinning after going into 0.0b transfer rates
>> forever and requires a forced kill.
>>

> Ahhh.... If you are getting network disconnects then any application
> yum, firefox, etc. which connects to a remote server would certainly
> suffer. Some apps/protocols may recover better when the network is
> restored.
>
> So, are you saying that in your case the network connection is dropping
> frequently and yum isn't recovering as you'd expect?

I am saying specifically with Yum, it somehow loses the connection,
and you can see the transfer rate slowly drop to 0.0b, the ETA
grows ridiculously large and getting larger... and stays that
way "forever", until one kills yum. This disconnect happens
quite often that it takes several yum restarts to complete
the downloads.
> Or....
>
>> Anyone see this problem?
>>
>> I am of course using NetworkManager, and wonder
>> if I should use the old-network connectivity style?
>>
> Are you saying you're having frequent network disconnects, but you don't
> know why, and you are trying to solve that problem?

Yes, and I do not know why - seems the other apps are running
fine, AFAIK, unless there is a test that can ram the network hard
to see if it is dropping network connections frequently or not.

So, I am willing to test the network on F12 to discover if the
problem is mine alone. Could you or someone tell me how
check this out? I had no problems on F9/11 - works fine.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Ed Greshko

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 03:21 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>

>>> Seems to me, that Yum is performing quite
>>> badly. I often get network disconnects and Yum
>>> keeps spinning after going into 0.0b transfer rates
>>> forever and requires a forced kill.
>>>

>> Ahhh.... If you are getting network disconnects then any application
>> yum, firefox, etc. which connects to a remote server would certainly
>> suffer. Some apps/protocols may recover better when the network is
>> restored.
>>
>> So, are you saying that in your case the network connection is dropping
>> frequently and yum isn't recovering as you'd expect?
>>

> I am saying specifically with Yum, it somehow loses the connection,
> and you can see the transfer rate slowly drop to 0.0b, the ETA
> grows ridiculously large and getting larger... and stays that
> way "forever", until one kills yum. This disconnect happens
> quite often that it takes several yum restarts to complete
> the downloads.
>
>> Or....
>>

>>> Anyone see this problem?
>>>
>>> I am of course using NetworkManager, and wonder
>>> if I should use the old-network connectivity style?
>>>

>> Are you saying you're having frequent network disconnects, but you don't
>> know why, and you are trying to solve that problem?
>>

> Yes, and I do not know why - seems the other apps are running
> fine, AFAIK, unless there is a test that can ram the network hard
> to see if it is dropping network connections frequently or not.
>
> So, I am willing to test the network on F12 to discover if the
> problem is mine alone. Could you or someone tell me how
> check this out? I had no problems on F9/11 - works fine.

OK, I believe I understand your question a bit better.

Since you are able to use firefox, for example, without problem it
doesn't appear you have a true network issue. Or, at least, it isn't
local to you. If firefox were also giving you grief it would be a
different story.

Generally I'm having no issues with yum on updates or installs. I did
have to add "exclude=.gov, .sg"
to my fastestmirror.conf as I use yum-plugin-fastestmirror and have had
issues with slow network to Singapore.

Are you using yum-plugin-fastestmirror?

--
In a medium in which a News Piece takes a minute and an "In-Depth" Piece
takes two minutes, the Simple will drive out the Complex. -- Frank

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 02/25/2010 03:53 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> Ahhh.... If you are getting network disconnects then any application
>>> yum, firefox, etc. which connects to a remote server would certainly
>>> suffer. Some apps/protocols may recover better when the network is
>>> restored.
>>>
>>> So, are you saying that in your case the network connection is dropping
>>> frequently and yum isn't recovering as you'd expect?
>>>

>> I am saying specifically with Yum, it somehow loses the connection,
>> and you can see the transfer rate slowly drop to 0.0b, the ETA
>> grows ridiculously large and getting larger... and stays that
>> way "forever", until one kills yum. This disconnect happens
>> quite often that it takes several yum restarts to complete
>> the downloads.
>>

>>> Or....

>>> Are you saying you're having frequent network disconnects, but you don't
>>> know why, and you are trying to solve that problem?
>>>

>> Yes, and I do not know why - seems the other apps are running
>> fine, AFAIK, unless there is a test that can ram the network hard
>> to see if it is dropping network connections frequently or not.
>>
>> So, I am willing to test the network on F12 to discover if the
>> problem is mine alone. Could you or someone tell me how
>> check this out? I had no problems on F9/11 - works fine.
>>

> OK, I believe I understand your question a bit better.
>
> Since you are able to use firefox, for example, without problem it
> doesn't appear you have a true network issue. Or, at least, it isn't
> local to you. If firefox were also giving you grief it would be a
> different story.
>
> Generally I'm having no issues with yum on updates or installs. I did
> have to add "exclude=.gov, .sg"
> to my fastestmirror.conf as I use yum-plugin-fastestmirror and have had
> issues with slow network to Singapore.
>
> Are you using yum-plugin-fastestmirror
Yes. I tried it with and without. Problems are the same. Seems to
me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating. I am running FF. sendmail,
DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems. Just
with yum installs/updates.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Ed Greshko

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>> OK, I believe I understand your question a bit better.
>>
>> Since you are able to use firefox, for example, without problem it
>> doesn't appear you have a true network issue. Or, at least, it isn't
>> local to you. If firefox were also giving you grief it would be a
>> different story.
>>
>> Generally I'm having no issues with yum on updates or installs. I did
>> have to add "exclude=.gov, .sg"
>> to my fastestmirror.conf as I use yum-plugin-fastestmirror and have had
>> issues with slow network to Singapore.
>>
>> Are you using yum-plugin-fastestmirror
>>
> Yes. I tried it with and without. Problems are the same. Seems to
> me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating. I am running FF. sendmail,
> DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems. Just
> with yum installs/updates.

Well, all I can say is that I'm certainly not seeing any problems with
yum here. At least not after I excluded Singapore.

I suppose that if I was in your position I'd be starting wireshark and
seeing if I could learn anything.

--
"I think Michael is like litmus paper - he's always trying to learn." --
Elizabeth Taylor, absurd non-sequitir about Michael Jackson

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Rick Stevens

On 02/25/2010 03:58 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 03:53 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> I am saying specifically with Yum, it somehow loses the connection,
>>> and you can see the transfer rate slowly drop to 0.0b, the ETA
>>> grows ridiculously large and getting larger... and stays that
>>> way "forever", until one kills yum. This disconnect happens
>>> quite often that it takes several yum restarts to complete
>>> the downloads.

>>> Yes, and I do not know why - seems the other apps are running
>>> fine, AFAIK, unless there is a test that can ram the network hard
>>> to see if it is dropping network connections frequently or not.
>>>
>>> So, I am willing to test the network on F12 to discover if the
>>> problem is mine alone. Could you or someone tell me how
>>> check this out? I had no problems on F9/11 - works fine.
>>>

>> OK, I believe I understand your question a bit better.
>>
>> Since you are able to use firefox, for example, without problem it
>> doesn't appear you have a true network issue. Or, at least, it isn't
>> local to you. If firefox were also giving you grief it would be a
>> different story.
>>
>> Generally I'm having no issues with yum on updates or installs. I did
>> have to add "exclude=.gov, .sg"
>> to my fastestmirror.conf as I use yum-plugin-fastestmirror and have had
>> issues with slow network to Singapore.
>>
>> Are you using yum-plugin-fastestmirror
> Yes. I tried it with and without. Problems are the same. Seems to
> me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating. I am running FF. sendmail,
> DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems. Just
> with yum installs/updates.

Just for giggles, can you turn off iptables and try again? I have
noticed that in the default ruleset, large transfers sometimes get
stalled (primarily outgoing traffic, such as an ftp put or scp from
local machine to a remote).

I haven't had time to see which rule(s) cause it. I'm usually pushed
for time, so every time I get it, I "service iptables stop", do my
transfer, then "service iptables start" and promptly forget to debug it.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:36 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 02/25/2010 03:58 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 03:53 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

>>> I am saying specifically with Yum, it somehow loses the connection,
>>> and you can see the transfer rate slowly drop to 0.0b, the ETA
>>> grows ridiculously large and getting larger... and stays that
>>> way "forever", until one kills yum. This disconnect happens
>>> quite often that it takes several yum restarts to complete
>>> the downloads.

>>> Yes, and I do not know why - seems the other apps are running
>>> fine, AFAIK, unless there is a test that can ram the network hard
>>> to see if it is dropping network connections frequently or not.
>>>
>>> So, I am willing to test the network on F12 to discover if the
>>> problem is mine alone. Could you or someone tell me how
>>> check this out? I had no problems on F9/11 - works fine.
>>>

>> OK, I believe I understand your question a bit better.
>>
>> Since you are able to use firefox, for example, without problem it
>> doesn't appear you have a true network issue. Or, at least, it isn't
>> local to you. If firefox were also giving you grief it would be a
>> different story.
>>
>> Generally I'm having no issues with yum on updates or installs. I did
>> have to add "exclude=.gov, .sg"
>> to my fastestmirror.conf as I use yum-plugin-fastestmirror and have had
>> issues with slow network to Singapore.
>>
>> Are you using yum-plugin-fastestmirror
>>
> Yes. I tried it with and without. Problems are the same. Seems to
> me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating. I am running FF. sendmail,
> DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems. Just
> with yum installs/updates.

OK, it seems that when I removed yum-fastestmirror, the problem went away.
Perhaps fastestmirror is not playing nice! I noticed that it was
hard-hitting
the network and perhaps reaches a bandwidth limit and causes breakage?

Dunno.. I think I will stick with this for now.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Ed Greshko

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 03:58 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>

>> Yes. I tried it with and without. Problems are the same. Seems to
>> me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating. I am running FF. sendmail,
>> DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems. Just
>> with yum installs/updates.
>>

> OK, it seems that when I removed yum-fastestmirror, the problem went away.
> Perhaps fastestmirror is not playing nice! I noticed that it was
> hard-hitting
> the network and perhaps reaches a bandwidth limit and causes breakage?
>
> Dunno.. I think I will stick with this for now.

You could try removing /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt and then enabling
fastestmirror again. I did that when I was troubleshooting when I found
the problem with Singapore. FWIW, Singapore had been working just
fine. I think there may have been undersea cable problem at the time.
I've not gone back to find if the problem still exists.

--
HELP! Man trapped in a human body!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Steven Stern

On 02/25/2010 07:57 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>> On 02/25/2010 03:58 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>

>>> Yes. I tried it with and without. Problems are the same. Seems to
>>> me it is a yum problem, but I am speculating. I am running FF. sendmail,
>>> DNS, etc.. a LOT of services and I am not seeing any problems. Just
>>> with yum installs/updates.
>>>

>> OK, it seems that when I removed yum-fastestmirror, the problem went away.
>> Perhaps fastestmirror is not playing nice! I noticed that it was
>> hard-hitting
>> the network and perhaps reaches a bandwidth limit and causes breakage?
>>
>> Dunno.. I think I will stick with this for now.
>>

> You could try removing /var/cache/yum/timedhosts.txt and then enabling
> fastestmirror again. I did that when I was troubleshooting when I found
> the problem with Singapore. FWIW, Singapore had been working just
> fine. I think there may have been undersea cable problem at the time.
> I've not gone back to find if the problem still exists.

Fastestmirror isn't a reliable plugin, IMO. It seems to be based on ping
times, not the download bandwidth for any given site.

--
-- Steve