Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Paolo Galtieri

Default question about program execution

I have a strange problem that I'm not quite sure what the issue is or how to fix it.

I have a USB drive with a jar file and 2 text files on it.

If I have the drive mounted as /media/USB and I do the following:

cd /media/USB
java -jar myfile.jar

The program runs fine, and when I enter the name of the data file it finds it in the local directory and all works well.*

When I use the file browser and click my way to the same place and double click on the jar file and enter the file name I get a file not found exception from java.

Note I have setup nautilus so that when I open a jar file it runs java -jar on that file.* This works and the program does execute.* However, rather than looking for the file in the local directory which I would expect to be /media/USB, since that is where I went to to run the program, it is looking for the files in my home directory.* The only way I have managed to get things to work is to copy the data files to my home directory before running the program.* This seems strange to me.* Is this normal behavior or is this some sort of security policy?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paolo