Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Julian Aloofi

Default Packaging rant

Am 25.02.2010 16:32, schrieb John Aldrich:
> I think we ought to think about how we package apps. Let's just have a
> "base" app that includes the required subsystems for everything to work,
> and then make other RPMs available for apps that "hook into" that sub-
> system.
>
> I really would like to hear why this is not possible as it seems like a lot
> of "junk" is forced upon us as we make these huge packages that contain
> everything.

The problem is that the KDE SIG simply doesn't have enough manpower to
do that. They package KDE the way upstream releases it, in the big kde*
subpackages. Other distros have subpackages for KDE apps, but that's
simply not possible for the KDE SIG.

Of course I am not a member of the KDE SIG so I can only tell you what I
heard and read in other replies to similar subjects. It has been
discussed on a list sometimes if I remember correctly.

Regards,
Julian

Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
John Aldrich

On Thursday 25 February 2010, Julian Aloofi wrote:

> The problem is that the KDE SIG simply doesn't have enough manpower to
> do that. They package KDE the way upstream releases it, in the big kde*
> subpackages. Other distros have subpackages for KDE apps, but that's
> simply not possible for the KDE SIG.
>
> Of course I am not a member of the KDE SIG so I can only tell you what I
> heard and read in other replies to similar subjects. It has been
> discussed on a list sometimes if I remember correctly.

Hmm... what list would I need to post this rant to in order to catch the
attention of someone who might be able to do something about the way this
is all packaged?

Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Julian Aloofi

Am 25.02.2010 17:34, schrieb John Aldrich:
> On Thursday 25 February 2010, Julian Aloofi wrote:
>>
>> The problem is that the KDE SIG simply doesn't have enough manpower to
>> do that. They package KDE the way upstream releases it, in the big kde*
>> subpackages. Other distros have subpackages for KDE apps, but that's
>> simply not possible for the KDE SIG.
>>
>> Of course I am not a member of the KDE SIG so I can only tell you what I
>> heard and read in other replies to similar subjects. It has been
>> discussed on a list sometimes if I remember correctly.
>>
> Hmm... what list would I need to post this rant to in order to catch the
> attention of someone who might be able to do something about the way this
> is all packaged?

The KDE SIG has their own list at
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/kde

They also have an IRC channel, #fedora-kde.
However, I think if they had the manpower to split the packages up,
they'd have done that, so the best way to get the packages split up
would probably be to offer your help on that.

Regards,
Julian

Old 02-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Andre Goree

On Thursday 25 February 2010 11:40:46 am Julian Aloofi wrote:
> Am 25.02.2010 17:34, schrieb John Aldrich:
> > On Thursday 25 February 2010, Julian Aloofi wrote:
> >> The problem is that the KDE SIG simply doesn't have enough manpower to
> >> do that. They package KDE the way upstream releases it, in the big kde*
> >> subpackages. Other distros have subpackages for KDE apps, but that's
> >> simply not possible for the KDE SIG.
> >>
> >> Of course I am not a member of the KDE SIG so I can only tell you what I
> >> heard and read in other replies to similar subjects. It has been
> >> discussed on a list sometimes if I remember correctly.
> >
> > Hmm... what list would I need to post this rant to in order to catch the
> > attention of someone who might be able to do something about the way this
> > is all packaged?
>
> The KDE SIG has their own list at
>
> They also have an IRC channel, #fedora-kde.
> However, I think if they had the manpower to split the packages up,
> they'd have done that, so the best way to get the packages split up
> would probably be to offer your help on that.
>
> Regards,
> Julian

Hmmm, I've been looking for a way to start contributing and thought that
packaging would be most interesting to me. Since I'm very fond of KDE, this
(KDE SIG) may be exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check it out.

--
Andre Goree
andre@drenet.homelinux.net