Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Tom Horsley

Default PPTP VPN broken

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:28:46 +0000
Andrew Gray wrote:

> Any idea when PPTP updates are coming out to fix PPTP VPN

As a work around you can manually connect by invoking
pppd as root from command line, something like:

pppd call <connection name> updetach

Probably need to setup some route commands and maybe
adjust resolv.conf as well.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Felix Schwarz

Am 25.02.2010 12:28, schrieb Andrew Gray:
> I updated to ppp 2.4.5 on the 25 February and it has broken PPTP VPN
> working
>
> Plugin /usr/lib64/pppd/2.4.4/nm-pptp-pppd-plugin.so is for pppd version
> 2.4.4, this is 2.4.5

An updated version of the pptp plugin has been pushed today:
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F12/FEDORA-2010-0932

It is supposed to fix that issue.

fs

Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Andrew Gray

Andrew Gray wrote:

> Any idea when PPTP updates are coming out to fix PPTP VPN

As a work around you can manually connect by invoking
pppd as root from command line, something like:

pppd call <connection name> updetach

Probably need to setup some route commands and maybe
adjust resolv.conf as well.

In the mean time until updated pptp components are updated I have simply downgrading* to ppp-2.4.4-13.fc12 X64

Then all the pptp components are compatible and PPTP VPN works

--Andrew Gary

Old 02-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Greg Woods

If you really care enough about security to be using a VPN connection in
the first place, you really don't want to use PPTP. It is riddled with
security flaws (that have been very well known for more than a decade)
to the point where it is only slightly better than sending data in the
clear:

http://www.schneier.com/pptp.html

--Greg

Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Tom Horsley

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:24:00 -0700
Greg Woods wrote:

> If you really care enough about security to be using a VPN connection in
> the first place, you really don't want to use PPTP.

Most of us users don't care one particle about using it,
it just happens to be mandated by the IT department who
are going by some security document written 20 years ago and
cast in stone :-).

Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Greg Woods

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 11:30 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:

> it just happens to be mandated by the IT department

I figured it was something like that, but I thought it was still
important to point out the known weaknesses of PPTP so that someone else
who happens on this thread doesn't decide that setting up PPTP would be
a great thing to do....

--Greg