Old 02-25-2010, 04:06 AM
Marcel Rieux

Default Why are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden ?

I don't have much important data and I do my back-ups in the most
simple way by saving my /home directory except for a few directories
to a DVD. But K3B asks if i want to save hidden files. If I answer no,
the .thunderbird and .evolution directories aren't saved and there's
some important data in there. If I answer yes, there then is a sleuth
of hidden files that are saved that I don't really need.

One way around this is to copy those 2 directories and then rename
them without the beginning ".". This way you miss a few files or
directories if you don't also rename them -- such as .#evolution.sbd
and .parentlock -- which... might not be important -- but why the hell
are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden in the first place?

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Chris Smart

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@gmail.com> wrote:
> One way around this is to copy those 2 directories and then rename
> them without the beginning ".". This way you miss a few files or
> directories if you don't also rename them -- such as .#evolution.sbd
> and .parentlock -- which... might not be important -- but why the hell
> are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden in the first place?

I'm sure there's a more accurate historical reason, but all of your
application's configuration settings and data are stored that way to
avoid you deleting things accidentally and keep your home directory
clutter free. Under Windows things are hidden away in weird places
like "Cocuments and SettingsUserLocal DataApplication Data" but
on Unix, everything related to you sits in your home directory. Where
else would they put it?

There's nothing stopping you from moving the contents of those hidden
directories to a non-hidden directory and then creating a symlink it
or mount bind.

-c

Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Ed Greshko

Marcel Rieux wrote:
> I don't have much important data and I do my back-ups in the most
> simple way by saving my /home directory except for a few directories
> to a DVD. But K3B asks if i want to save hidden files. If I answer no,
> the .thunderbird and .evolution directories aren't saved and there's
> some important data in there. If I answer yes, there then is a sleuth
> of hidden files that are saved that I don't really need.
>
> One way around this is to copy those 2 directories and then rename
> them without the beginning ".". This way you miss a few files or
> directories if you don't also rename them -- such as .#evolution.sbd
> and .parentlock -- which... might not be important -- but why the hell
> are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden in the first place?

Another way around it is to use the nautilus integration with k3b.
Unlike k3b, nautilus has a selection for "view hidden files". Then you
can drag and drop precisely what you need from nautilus to k3b.

--
"I ate too much plastic candy." --Ralph Wiggum Last Tap Dance in
Springfield (Episode BABF15)

Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Ed Greshko

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>
>> I don't have much important data and I do my back-ups in the most
>> simple way by saving my /home directory except for a few directories
>> to a DVD. But K3B asks if i want to save hidden files. If I answer no,
>> the .thunderbird and .evolution directories aren't saved and there's
>> some important data in there. If I answer yes, there then is a sleuth
>> of hidden files that are saved that I don't really need.
>>
>> One way around this is to copy those 2 directories and then rename
>> them without the beginning ".". This way you miss a few files or
>> directories if you don't also rename them -- such as .#evolution.sbd
>> and .parentlock -- which... might not be important -- but why the hell
>> are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden in the first place?
>>

> Another way around it is to use the nautilus integration with k3b.
> Unlike k3b, nautilus has a selection for "view hidden files". Then you
> can drag and drop precisely what you need from nautilus to k3b.

If you are a KDE user, you can drag/drop from dolphin

--
Forrest Gump: "They sending me to Vietnam - it's this whole other country"

Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Joachim Backes

On 02/25/2010 07:58 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:

Marcel Rieux wrote:

[...]

Another simple way would be: move .thunderbird and .evolution to some
not-hidden files and let .thunderbird be a soft link to that not-hidden
file.

Regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Ed Greshko

Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 07:58 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>>> I don't have much important data and I do my back-ups in the most
>>> simple way by saving my /home directory except for a few directories
>>> to a DVD. But K3B asks if i want to save hidden files. If I answer no,
>>> the .thunderbird and .evolution directories aren't saved and there's
>>> some important data in there. If I answer yes, there then is a sleuth
>>> of hidden files that are saved that I don't really need.
>>>
>>> One way around this is to copy those 2 directories and then rename
>>> them without the beginning ".". This way you miss a few files or
>>> directories if you don't also rename them -- such as .#evolution.sbd
>>> and .parentlock -- which... might not be important -- but why the hell
>>> are .thunderbird and .evolution hidden in the first place?
>>>

>> Another way around it is to use the nautilus integration with k3b.
>> Unlike k3b, nautilus has a selection for "view hidden files". Then you
>> can drag and drop precisely what you need from nautilus to k3b.
>>

> Another simple way would be: move .thunderbird and .evolution to some
> not-hidden files and let .thunderbird be a soft link to that
> not-hidden file.

When one has to make changes like that...and remember they made
them...and why...and it conflicts with "normal" operation I, personally,
wouldn't classify that as "simple". :-)

--
All men have the right to wait in line.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Ed Greshko

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Joachim Backes wrote:

>>> Another way around it is to use the nautilus integration with k3b.
>>> Unlike k3b, nautilus has a selection for "view hidden files". Then you
>>> can drag and drop precisely what you need from nautilus to k3b.
>>>

>> Another simple way would be: move .thunderbird and .evolution to some
>> not-hidden files and let .thunderbird be a soft link to that
>> not-hidden file.
>>

> When one has to make changes like that...and remember they made
> them...and why...and it conflicts with "normal" operation I, personally,
> wouldn't classify that as "simple". :-)

Oh, the other reason I wouldn't do that.... It may happen that you
download the latest thunderbird tar file from Mozilla and forgetfully
extract it in your home directory.... Oooops....

--
What will you do if all your problems aren't solved by the time you die?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Andre Robatino

I just back up everything including hidden files/directories. The
hidden files/directories generally don't take up a lot of space and it
ensures that I don't miss anything.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 16:47 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> I'm sure there's a more accurate historical reason, but all of your
> application's configuration settings and data are stored that way to
> avoid you deleting things accidentally and keep your home directory
> clutter free. Under Windows things are hidden away in weird places
> like "Cocuments and SettingsUserLocal DataApplication Data" but
> on Unix, everything related to you sits in your home directory. Where
> else would they put it?

There's been arguments for ~/local/ or ~/.local/ for some time, so that
all the stuff you normally don't want to see is one place, and you can
use all of your home for yourself, without having to weed through the
chaff. It would make backups easy, where you can back up all your
configurations, without personal files, or vice versa, without making
lots of rules about what to include/exclude.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 20:20 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-02-25 at 16:47 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> > I'm sure there's a more accurate historical reason, but all of your
> > application's configuration settings and data are stored that way to
> > avoid you deleting things accidentally and keep your home directory
> > clutter free. Under Windows things are hidden away in weird places
> > like "Cocuments and SettingsUserLocal DataApplication Data" but
> > on Unix, everything related to you sits in your home directory. Where
> > else would they put it?
>
> There's been arguments for ~/local/ or ~/.local/ for some time, so that
> all the stuff you normally don't want to see is one place, and you can
> use all of your home for yourself, without having to weed through the
> chaff. It would make backups easy, where you can back up all your
> configurations, without personal files, or vice versa, without making
> lots of rules about what to include/exclude.

Like many good ideas, I'd say that this one has very little chance of
becoming standard practice, given that each Linux app decides for itself
where to put its config files and the lack of such a standard isn't
causing enough pain to make it worthwhile to invest the considerable
effort it take to change everything. Sad but true.

More to the point, my answer to the OP would be "use a real backup
solution". K3B is for burning optical media. Of course you can use it to
copy your important files, but reliable backup means automating as much
as possible, including specifying which files and directories to copy on
a regular basis. There are a number of backup solutions out there, from
rsync scripts to user-friendly GUI apps, and many of them allow you to
queue files for burning to an optical medium if that's what you want to
do.

poc