Old 02-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

Default OT: ISPs: Linux's role nowadays

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:08:38AM -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> Ooops! Maybe the discussion is not over
>
> I*understand not much of this, so let me try to sum this up in a
> know-nothing friendly way.
>
> They use nvidia multi gpu video cards for routing. Hence, they don't
> face the interrupts problems so soon.

Uhm, no, they didn't use video cards.

They used normal Asus P6T6 desktop motherboard, which has additional PCI-e slots
on the Nvidia NF200 PCI Express fanout switch chip (which is connected to the Intel X58 chipset).

> I*suppose this is pretty experimental at this stage, though. How many
> cores are they using?*I*believe the plans are for 64 in the near
> future.

No, that was not experimental at all. In addition to the normal desktop
motherboard they used Myrinet 10 Gbit PCI-E NICs.

> Now, this is interesting... I believe. Good thing Huang pretends he's
> not after Intel's skin

10 Gbit throughput, over a single 10 Gbit link, between Linux boxes was
possible already in 2008.

-- Pasi

Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Marcel Rieux

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:08:38AM -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> Ooops! Maybe the discussion is not over
>>
>> I*understand not much of this, so let me try to sum this up in a
>> know-nothing friendly way.
>>
>> They use nvidia multi gpu video cards for routing. Hence, they don't
>> face the interrupts problems so soon.
>>

> Uhm, no, they didn't use video cards.
>
> They used normal Asus P6T6 desktop motherboard, which has additional PCI-e slots
> on the Nvidia NF200 PCI Express fanout switch chip (which is connected to the Intel X58 chipset).

As you can see, all this discussion is beyond my very limited competences.

Thanks for your answer.