Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Tim

Default F12: Sendmail, clamav-milter & spamass-milter

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 11:45 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I have spent weeks trying to resolve the following issues:
>
> I have F9/10/11 working just fine.
>
> 1) SendMail - I can get SM to run, but I am unable to
> send outgoing email messages. Why? Because
> of some sort of authentication issue refuses to
> accept the password.

Do you mean you can't mail to the outside world, or you simply can't
send any mail through it, even to an internal address?

> Using authentication, I am constantly asked to provide
> the password via Thunderbird and in failing to accept
> authorization, it simply disconnects from sendmail.
>
> I have added non-authorization step as well, and it is
> simply rejected the connection with no prompts for
> a password.
>
> From the Thunderbird client, the error message reported is:
>
> Sending of message failed.
> The message could not be sent using SMTP server mx1.domain.com
> for an unknown reason. Please verify that your SMTP server settings
> are correct and try again, or contact your network administrator.
>
> In the above two cases, the error message I got is:
>
> [...] <host/domain>.com [X.X.X.X] did not issue
> MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

We can only guess without seeing configuration files. You also need to
say what type of authentications are being used (simply passwords,
encrypted logons, certificates as well, etc.).

Are you playing with authorisation, because you have to (it's publicly
exposed), or because you want to (for experimenting purpose)?

If you don't really need it (e.g. because you have a mail server inside
your LAN that can't be externally accessed) then you can avoid trying to
get it working.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686