Old 02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Default GoogleEarth segfault

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 12:53 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I installed the latest GoogelEarth 5.1.3533 from the .bin file (over the
> top of an older version that I never got working either), ran restorecon
> on the library directory. SElinux stopped complaining about violations
> after that, but googleearth still segfaults.
>
> This is 64-bit F12 with the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion.

Sorry, should have mentioned, GNOME with desktop effects enabled.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 02/24/2010 01:09 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 12:53 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>> I installed the latest GoogelEarth 5.1.3533 from the .bin file (over the
>> top of an older version that I never got working either), ran restorecon
>> on the library directory. SElinux stopped complaining about violations
>> after that, but googleearth still segfaults.
>>
>> This is 64-bit F12 with the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion.
>>
> Sorry, should have mentioned, GNOME with desktop effects enabled.
>

>> Anybody with similar experiences? Hints?
>>
>> TIA.

Does it work in permissive mode?

getsebool -A | grep allow_exec

Old 02-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 13:28 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 01:09 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 12:53 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> >
> >> I installed the latest GoogelEarth 5.1.3533 from the .bin file (over the
> >> top of an older version that I never got working either), ran restorecon
> >> on the library directory. SElinux stopped complaining about violations
> >> after that, but googleearth still segfaults.
> >>
> >> This is 64-bit F12 with the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion.
> >>
> > Sorry, should have mentioned, GNOME with desktop effects enabled.
> >

> >> Anybody with similar experiences? Hints?
> >>
> >> TIA.
> >>

> Does it work in permissive mode?

No.

> getsebool -A | grep allow_exec

$ getsebool -a | grep allow_exec
allow_execheap --> off
allow_execmem --> on
allow_execmod --> off
allow_execstack --> on

All the libraries in /opt/goggle-earth have the following settings after
restorecon:

-rwxr-xr-x. root root system_ubject_r:textrel_shlib_t:s0

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 02/24/2010 01:39 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 13:28 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> Sorry, should have mentioned, GNOME with desktop effects enabled.

>> Does it work in permissive mode?
>>
> No.

Ok so I am not to blame. :^)

Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Sjoerd Mullender

On 2010-02-24 18:53, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> I installed the latest GoogelEarth 5.1.3533 from the .bin file (over the
> top of an older version that I never got working either), ran restorecon
> on the library directory. SElinux stopped complaining about violations
> after that, but googleearth still segfaults.
>
> This is 64-bit F12 with the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion.
>
> Anybody with similar experiences? Hints?
>
> TIA.

Try running /sbin/ldconfig as root. That was the solution to a similar
sounding problem I had. The problem is that ldconfig wasn't run
automatically when the nVidia stuff was installed.

--
Sjoerd Mullender

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 20:59 +0100, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> On 2010-02-24 18:53, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > I installed the latest GoogelEarth 5.1.3533 from the .bin file (over the
> > top of an older version that I never got working either), ran restorecon
> > on the library directory. SElinux stopped complaining about violations
> > after that, but googleearth still segfaults.
> >
> > This is 64-bit F12 with the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion.
> >
> > Anybody with similar experiences? Hints?
> >
> > TIA.
> >

> Try running /sbin/ldconfig as root. That was the solution to a similar
> sounding problem I had. The problem is that ldconfig wasn't run
> automatically when the nVidia stuff was installed.

No joy. But thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM

I think the segfault ain't SELINUX fault. Try to disable Desktop
effects before running Google Earth

Eduardo Landaveri
GNU/Linux User: 433512

Sorry, should have mentioned, GNOME with desktop effects enabled.

On 02/24/2010 01:39 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 13:28 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> Sorry, should have mentioned, GNOME with desktop effects enabled.

>> Does it work in permissive mode?
>>
> No.

Ok so I am not to blame. :^)

Old 03-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:08 -0500, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 20:59 +0100, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
> > On 2010-02-24 18:53, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > > I installed the latest GoogelEarth 5.1.3533 from the .bin file (over the
> > > top of an older version that I never got working either), ran restorecon
> > > on the library directory. SElinux stopped complaining about violations
> > > after that, but googleearth still segfaults.
> > >
> > > This is 64-bit F12 with the nvidia drivers from rpmfusion.
> > >
> > > Anybody with similar experiences? Hints?
> > >
> > > TIA.
> > >

> > Try running /sbin/ldconfig as root. That was the solution to a similar
> > sounding problem I had. The problem is that ldconfig wasn't run
> > automatically when the nVidia stuff was installed.
>
> No joy. But thanks for the suggestion.

It all came down to missing i686 libs:

http://bigjim-network.be/2009/06/24/google-earth-on-fedora-11-64-bit/

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:
> It all came down to missing i686 libs:
>
> http://bigjim-network.be/2009/06/24/google-earth-on-fedora-11-64-bit/

If those libraries were linked the normal way, by having ld.so set
them up when Google Earth launched, the missing libraries would have
prevented it from launching at all. You wouldn't have gotten any kind
of crash, it just wouldn't execute.

My guess is that the missing libraries are normally loaded "manually,"
that is, with some of Google Earth's own code calling the dynamic
library manipulation functions and setting up the link itself. That's
usually done to enable one to choose one of several alternative
libraries, or to add extra features that don't come built in. Native
web browser plugins are handled that way too.

If that were the case, quite likely the reason that you got the
segfault is that that manual link failed completely because the
libraries were not to be found, but with the client code that expected
those libraries to be linked failing to check if the library load was
successful.

If my theory is correct, then Google needs a bug report. I don't have
a clue how you'd file one. But then, as they say, WHAT NOW is your
friend?

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote@dulcineatech.com

Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Matthew Saltzman

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 15:45 -0800, Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@clemson.edu> wrote:
> > It all came down to missing i686 libs:
> >
> > http://bigjim-network.be/2009/06/24/google-earth-on-fedora-11-64-bit/
>
> If those libraries were linked the normal way, by having ld.so set
> them up when Google Earth launched, the missing libraries would have
> prevented it from launching at all. You wouldn't have gotten any kind
> of crash, it just wouldn't execute.
>
> My guess is that the missing libraries are normally loaded "manually,"
> that is, with some of Google Earth's own code calling the dynamic
> library manipulation functions and setting up the link itself. That's
> usually done to enable one to choose one of several alternative
> libraries, or to add extra features that don't come built in. Native
> web browser plugins are handled that way too.
>
> If that were the case, quite likely the reason that you got the
> segfault is that that manual link failed completely because the
> libraries were not to be found, but with the client code that expected
> those libraries to be linked failing to check if the library load was
> successful.
>
> If my theory is correct, then Google needs a bug report. I don't have
> a clue how you'd file one. But then, as they say, WHAT NOW is your
> friend?

I'll see if I can find anything at earth.google.com. There's a help
page, but I don't know if there's a bug tracker.

Thanks for the explanation.