Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 AM
Anthony Newland

Default Fedora 10 install into Sun VirtualBox

I've just finished installing Fedora 10 into the Sun VirtualBox, and now I can't seem to login. I don't remember making up a user account for this, so I have no idea what it could be. Thoughts?

--
Anthony Newland

Old 02-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Anthony Newland <anewland71@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just finished installing Fedora 10 into the Sun VirtualBox, and now I
> can't seem to login. I don't remember making up a user account for this, so
> I have no idea what it could be. Thoughts?

Boot your VM off your installation CD - or attach the installer ISO
image to your VM as a virtual CD.

>From the installer, start a shell, then mount the root filesystem of your VM.

There are two ways to deal with it at that point: one would be to edit
/etc/shadow with vi or nano, and just eliminate the root password,
that is, remove the characters between the two colons that delimit
encrypted password field, so that it becomes just "::". After booting
your VM normally, and logging in with no password, go and set a
password.

Alternatively you can chroot into the mounted root filesystem, and
from there you can use the adduser command to set up a user for
yourself. Put that user into the /etc/sudoers files so you can
administrate the VM during a normal boot.

I'll send you my bill in the mail. xD

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha