FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

My printer is running on my F10 server. In the past, my son has been
able to print to it with no problems from his Windows XP machine.

Starting sometime this past weekend, when he tries to print, Windows XP
gets an "unknown print error" when he tries.

Now, here's the kicker, when I log into the "owner" account on the same
Windows XP machine, I can print just fine....

Does anyone know what might be causing this bizarre unwanted behaviour?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Hiisi
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
> My printer is running on my F10 server. *In the past, my son has been
> able to print to it with no problems from his Windows XP machine.
>
> Starting sometime this past weekend, when he tries to print, Windows XP
> gets an "unknown print error" when he tries.
>
> Now, here's the kicker, when I log into the "owner" account on the same
> Windows XP machine, I can print just fine....
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this bizarre unwanted behaviour?
>
> --
> Kevin J. Cummings
> kjchome@rcn.com
> cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
> cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

Check allowed users at CUPS configuration page (localhost:631).
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

On 02/24/2010 08:11 AM, Hiisi wrote:
> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
>> My printer is running on my F10 server. In the past, my son has been
>> able to print to it with no problems from his Windows XP machine.
>>
>> Starting sometime this past weekend, when he tries to print, Windows XP
>> gets an "unknown print error" when he tries.
>>
>> Now, here's the kicker, when I log into the "owner" account on the same
>> Windows XP machine, I can print just fine....
>>
>> Does anyone know what might be causing this bizarre unwanted behaviour?
>>
>
> Check allowed users at CUPS configuration page (localhost:631).

Well, there is a can of worms!

If I attach remotely to the server's CUPs page (@ server:631), I can
select "Manage Printers" which brings me to a page showing me the
printers on my server. When I look at the printer in question, I can
see buttons for:

Print Test Page, Stop Printer, Reject Jobs, Move All Jobs, Cancel All
Jobs, Unpublish Printer, Modify Printer, Set Printer Options, Delete
Printer, Set As Default, and Set Allowed Users.

When I select the Set Allowed Users button, I get the following WWW page:

http://::1/admin/?op=set-allowed-users&printer_name=Printer

Why does it change from server:631 to ::1?????

When I change the URL back to the CUPs Server, I see that the allowed
users list is empty, and neither the Allow These Users To Print, nor the
Prevent These Users From Printing buttons are checked....

So, no users are listed for this printer. What can I check next?

Please remember, that prior to this weekend, this was working without
incident. I have rebooted the Windows XP machine a number of times
without changing the perceived behavior. Do I need to reboot the CUPs
Server?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 03:47 PM
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

If your son was able to print in the past from the XP machine, there's
a permissions issue. If you're able to print under the 'owner' account
which I assume is an admin account, it seems that is a permissions
problem. Check on CUPS the printers settings who's allowed to print.
Somehow seems that only 'OWNER' is allowed to print but not the other
account used by your son. Check also the xp printers's property under
the owner account and looks if something have been changed. Regards

Eduardo Landaveri
GNU/Linux User: 433512


-----Original Message-----
From: Hiisi <very-cool@rambler.ru>
To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Sent: Wed, Feb 24, 2010 5:11 am
Subject: Re: Printing from Windows XP


2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
> My printer is running on my F10 server. *In the past, my son has been
> able to print to it with no problems from his Windows XP machine.
>
> Starting sometime this past weekend, when he tries to print, Windows
XP
> gets an "unknown print error" when he tries.
>
> Now, here's the kicker, when I log into the "owner" account on the
same
> Windows XP machine, I can print just fine....
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this bizarre unwanted
behaviour?
>
> --
> Kevin J. Cummings
> kjchome@rcn.com
> cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
> cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

Check allowed users at CUPS configuration page (localhost:631).
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Hiisi
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
> On 02/24/2010 08:11 AM, Hiisi wrote:
>> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
<--SNIP-->
>
> Well, there is a can of worms!
>
> If I attach remotely to the server's CUPs page (@ server:631), I can
> select "Manage Printers" which brings me to a page showing me the
> printers on my server. *When I look at the printer in question, I can
> see buttons for:
>
> * * * *Print Test Page, Stop Printer, Reject Jobs, Move All Jobs, Cancel All
> Jobs, Unpublish Printer, Modify Printer, *Set Printer Options, Delete
> Printer, Set As Default, and Set Allowed Users.
>
> When I select the Set Allowed Users button, I get the following WWW page:
>
> http://::1/admin/?op=set-allowed-users&printer_name=Printer
>
> Why does it change from server:631 to ::1?????
>
> When I change the URL back to the CUPs Server, I see that the allowed
> users list is empty, and neither the Allow These Users To Print, nor the
> Prevent These Users From Printing buttons are checked....
>
> So, no users are listed for this printer. *What can I check next?
>
> Please remember, that prior to this weekend, this was working without
> incident. *I have rebooted the Windows XP machine a number of times
> without changing the perceived behavior. *Do I need to reboot the CUPs
> Server?
>
> --
> Kevin J. Cummings
> kjchome@rcn.com
> cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
> cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

I don't know. Last time when I was fishing I used polyurethane worms:
http://rulla.kuvaboxi.fi/mediaobjects/orig/pub/2009/08/24/8143010478554238833orig.jpg
Is it time to yum reinstall cups?
--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
fred smith
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:14:59PM +0300, Hiisi wrote:
> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
> > On 02/24/2010 08:11 AM, Hiisi wrote:
> >> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
> <--SNIP-->
> >
> > Well, there is a can of worms!
> >
> > If I attach remotely to the server's CUPs page (@ server:631), I can
> > select "Manage Printers" which brings me to a page showing me the
> > printers on my server. *When I look at the printer in question, I can
> > see buttons for:
> >
> > * * * *Print Test Page, Stop Printer, Reject Jobs, Move All Jobs, Cancel All
> > Jobs, Unpublish Printer, Modify Printer, *Set Printer Options, Delete
> > Printer, Set As Default, and Set Allowed Users.
> >
> > When I select the Set Allowed Users button, I get the following WWW page:
> >
> > http://::1/admin/?op=set-allowed-users&printer_name=Printer
> >
> > Why does it change from server:631 to ::1?????
> >
> > When I change the URL back to the CUPs Server, I see that the allowed
> > users list is empty, and neither the Allow These Users To Print, nor the
> > Prevent These Users From Printing buttons are checked....
> >
> > So, no users are listed for this printer. *What can I check next?
> >
> > Please remember, that prior to this weekend, this was working without
> > incident. *I have rebooted the Windows XP machine a number of times
> > without changing the perceived behavior. *Do I need to reboot the CUPs
> > Server?
> >
> > --
> > Kevin J. Cummings
> > kjchome@rcn.com
> > cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
> > cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
> > Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
>
> I don't know. Last time when I was fishing I used polyurethane worms:
> http://rulla.kuvaboxi.fi/mediaobjects/orig/pub/2009/08/24/8143010478554238833orig.jpg
> Is it time to yum reinstall cups?
> --

Reinstalling cups is like the idea that to keep Windoze working you need
to reinstall it when it goes bad. Doesn't feel like the right answer,
though I don't know what the right answer is.

Kevin, at the risk of severe information overload, you might want to
consider using Wireshark (or other similar tool) to grab some data packets
off the network to see what, if anything, Windoze is doing when the printing
fails.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.
------------------------------ Philippians 4:13 -------------------------------
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Hiisi
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

2010/2/25 fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:14:59PM +0300, Hiisi wrote:
>> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
>> > On 02/24/2010 08:11 AM, Hiisi wrote:
>> >> 2010/2/24 Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>:
>> <--SNIP-->
>> >
>> > Well, there is a can of worms!
>> >
>> > If I attach remotely to the server's CUPs page (@ server:631), I can
>> > select "Manage Printers" which brings me to a page showing me the
>> > printers on my server. *When I look at the printer in question, I can
>> > see buttons for:
>> >
>> > * * * *Print Test Page, Stop Printer, Reject Jobs, Move All Jobs, Cancel All
>> > Jobs, Unpublish Printer, Modify Printer, *Set Printer Options, Delete
>> > Printer, Set As Default, and Set Allowed Users.
>> >
>> > When I select the Set Allowed Users button, I get the following WWW page:
>> >
>> > http://::1/admin/?op=set-allowed-users&printer_name=Printer
>> >
>> > Why does it change from server:631 to ::1?????
>> >
>> > When I change the URL back to the CUPs Server, I see that the allowed
>> > users list is empty, and neither the Allow These Users To Print, nor the
>> > Prevent These Users From Printing buttons are checked....
>> >
>> > So, no users are listed for this printer. *What can I check next?
>> >
>> > Please remember, that prior to this weekend, this was working without
>> > incident. *I have rebooted the Windows XP machine a number of times
>> > without changing the perceived behavior. *Do I need to reboot the CUPs
>> > Server?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Kevin J. Cummings
>> > kjchome@rcn.com
>> > cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
>> > cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
>> > Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
>>
>> I don't know. Last time when I was fishing I used polyurethane worms:
>> http://rulla.kuvaboxi.fi/mediaobjects/orig/pub/2009/08/24/8143010478554238833orig.jpg
>> Is it time to yum reinstall cups?
>> --
>
> Reinstalling cups is like the idea that to keep Windoze working you need
> to reinstall it when it goes bad. Doesn't feel like the right answer,
> though I don't know what the right answer is.

Isn't it the right way of running window$?
Reinstall process will not trigger any dependences.

>
> Kevin, at the risk of severe information overload, you might want to
> consider using Wireshark (or other similar tool) to grab some data packets
> off the network to see what, if anything, Windoze is doing when the printing
> fails.
>
> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
> * * * * * * * * * * * I can do all things through Christ
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *who strengthens me.
> ------------------------------ Philippians 4:13 -------------------------------

--
Hiisi.
Registered Linux User #487982. Be counted at: http://counter.li.org/
--
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

On 02/24/2010 05:46 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> 2010/2/25 fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>:
>> Reinstalling cups is like the idea that to keep Windoze working you need
>> to reinstall it when it goes bad. Doesn't feel like the right answer,
>> though I don't know what the right answer is.
>
> Isn't it the right way of running window$?
> Reinstall process will not trigger any dependences.

This is not Windows, but in the same tradition, after rebooting my CUPs
server, I have lost connectivity to this printer from *both* windows
machines, both from user and admin accounts. This is frustrating as it
points to CUPs as the culprit, but I haven't changed the CUPs
configuration in a *long* time.

BTW, I can still use the printer from my F11 laptop....

The next step for me is to delete the printer entirely and re-install
it, possibly under F13 when the ALPHA gets released next month....

>>
>> Kevin, at the risk of severe information overload, you might want to
>> consider using Wireshark (or other similar tool) to grab some data packets
>> off the network to see what, if anything, Windoze is doing when the printing
>> fails.

I'll get to this after the above, but only as a last resort.

This printer was originally installed under FC5 as an LPRng printer (as
that was the driver that Samsung shipped with it). Samsung has a newer
unified driver now, and it may be time to see if the latest Fedora
printing support does any better as I'm starting to have problems with
duplex printing (that I didn't have when I first installed it).

Then again, its on its 3rd set of toner cartridges, and 3rd set of waste
toner cartridges, and now its telling me that its time for a new drum
and a new belt drive. These two "consumables" are about to cost me more
than I spent on the printer in the first place....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:15:13 -0500
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> The next step for me is to delete the printer entirely and re-install
> it, possibly under F13 when the ALPHA gets released next month....

One thing I noticed with printers. I used to have my printer shared
via smb, and it some point that stopped working. Rather than figure
out why, I shared it via cups and changed the way the printer was
accessed in my windows box, and it seemed to work fine after that
(but I have to admit, I haven't printed anything from windows
for probably almost a year, so I'm not sure it still works :-).
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Tim
 
Default Printing from Windows XP

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:15 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> This is not Windows, but in the same tradition, after rebooting my
> CUPs server, I have lost connectivity to this printer from *both*
> windows machines, both from user and admin accounts.

Obvious question: How long did you wait?

If SMB is also involved with printing, then machines going on and off
the network frequently cause havoc, while the SMB system goes through
its who's-the-boss motions.

Years ago I observed that SMB doesn't seem to have the concept of
logging off. Hence when a machine goes offline, other things get their
knickers in a twist because they're still trying to use it. And are
still in a twist, for quite some time, if it comes back again.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org