Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Germn "A. Racca"

Default how to know if I'm using xterm or gnome-terminal?

Hi all:

How to know if I'm using an xterm or a gnome-terminal from command line?

The output of "echo $TERM" is "xterm" from both of them.

How to know?

Cheers,
Germn.
--
Germn A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)

Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Paolo Galtieri

Run

ps axlw | grep term

This will show you which one you are running

Paolo

Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Germn "A. Racca"

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 12:15 -0800, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> Run
>
> ps axlw | grep term
>
> This will show you which one you are running
>
> Paolo

But if there are several xterms and gnome-terminals running, I'll get
them all. Which I want to know is the one I'm using.

Germn.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:23 PM
James Wilkinson

Germán A. Racca wrote:
> How to know if I'm using an xterm or a gnome-terminal from command line?
>
> The output of "echo $TERM" is "xterm" from both of them.
>
> How to know?

Well, it looks as though gnome-terminal sets $COLORTERM, whereas xterm
doesn’t. But xterm doesn’t unset it, either, so if you get a user
starting up a gnome-terminal, thinking “Yuck!”¹ and using that
gnome-terminal solely to run xterm, then the xterm will inherit the
$COLORTERM setting.

Xterm has its own $XTERM_ variables, so you could test for those. But
gnome-terminal doesn’t unset those, either, so you could get a user
starting up am xterm, thinking “Yuck!”¹ and using that xterm solely to
run gnome-terminal…

And then you’re going to get someone using Konsole.

What are you trying to do?

James.

¹There’s no accounting for taste…

--
E-mail: james@ | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
aprilcottage.co.uk | walks on water. Although it’s true that Barry Cryer runs

Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
James Wilkinson

Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> Run
>
> ps axlw | grep term
>
> This will show you which one you are running

It may do.

It may show which ones you are running, or which ones other users on the
same machine are running.

And (which I should have thought of in my last email, too) it’s quite
possible that the terminal and the shell script are running on different
computers (think ssh). Not all the variables will carry across the SSH
link.

So you either have to run with an 80% solution, think up some other way
of doing what you want, or trying to write a script that doesn’t need to
know the difference.

Good luck!

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | Reminds me of a friend's young son who watched a small
aprilcottage.co.uk | tortoise ambling very slowly across the patio, and then

Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Germán "A. Racca"

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 20:23 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Germán A. Racca wrote:
> > How to know if I'm using an xterm or a gnome-terminal from command line?
> >
> > The output of "echo $TERM" is "xterm" from both of them.
> >
> > How to know?
>
> Well, it looks as though gnome-terminal sets $COLORTERM, whereas xterm
> doesn’t. But xterm doesn’t unset it, either, so if you get a user
> starting up a gnome-terminal, thinking “Yuck!”¹ and using that
> gnome-terminal solely to run xterm, then the xterm will inherit the
> $COLORTERM setting.
>
> Xterm has its own $XTERM_ variables, so you could test for those. But
> gnome-terminal doesn’t unset those, either, so you could get a user
> starting up am xterm, thinking “Yuck!”¹ and using that xterm solely to
> run gnome-terminal…
>
> And then you’re going to get someone using Konsole.
>
> What are you trying to do?
>
> James.
>
> ¹There’s no accounting for taste…
>
> --
> E-mail: james@ | I must refute the rumour that one of our team members
> aprilcottage.co.uk | walks on water. Although it’s true that Barry Cryer runs
> | on lager...
> | -- “I’m Sorry, I Haven’t A Clue”, BBC Radio 4

I'm running a program called IRAF to work with astronomical images, and
it needs to use the graphic capabilities of an xterm, not
gnome-terminal. So, I'm trying to make a very simple script to start
IRAF, but first I have to know if I'm on an xterm (so it enters directly
to IRAF) or a gnome-terminal (in this case the script must open an xterm
before).

Germán.

--
Germán A. Racca
National Institute for Space Research (INPE)

Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 16:52 -0300, Germn A. Racca wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> How to know if I'm using an xterm or a gnome-terminal from command line?
>
> The output of "echo $TERM" is "xterm" from both of them.
>
> How to know?

$ set | grep term
COLORTERM=gnome-terminal
TERM=xterm

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 02-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Nalin Dahyabhai

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:52:32PM -0300, Germn A. Racca wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> How to know if I'm using an xterm or a gnome-terminal from command line?
>
> The output of "echo $TERM" is "xterm" from both of them.
>
> How to know?

James Wilkinson already outlined why most environment variables probably
shouldn't be trusted, so I'll suggest checking the output of
xprop -id $WINDOWID WM_CLASS

HTH,

Nalin

Old 02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Jake Peavy

I'm running a program called IRAF to work with astronomical images, and

it needs to use the graphic capabilities of an xterm, not

gnome-terminal. So, I'm trying to make a very simple script to start

IRAF, but first I have to know if I'm on an xterm (so it enters directly

to IRAF) or a gnome-terminal (in this case the script must open an xterm

before).

This must be too easy, but I'm going to say it anyway.* Why not always start xterm and run IRAF within it?
--
-jp

If you were a pirate, you know what would be the one thing that would really
make you mad? Treasure chests with no handles. How the heck are you supposed
to carry it?!

deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com

Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Germn "A. Racca"

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 17:06 -0500, Jake Peavy wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Germn A. Racca
> <german.racca@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running a program called IRAF to work with astronomical
> images, and
> it needs to use the graphic capabilities of an xterm, not
> gnome-terminal. So, I'm trying to make a very simple script to
> start
> IRAF, but first I have to know if I'm on an xterm (so it
> enters directly
> to IRAF) or a gnome-terminal (in this case the script must
> open an xterm
> before).
>
> This must be too easy, but I'm going to say it anyway. Why not always
> start xterm and run IRAF within it?
>
> --
> -jp

Yes, I can always do that, but I want to make the script also ;-)

G.