Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
vinny

Default firefox lockups after update

Hello,
I submitted this problem before, I had one answer requesting the output
of "yum info firefox" I submitted, If there was a subsequent answer
maybe I missed. So here I have an HP laptop zv600 and a desktop Dell
8300. Dell works fine through out all the update, HP lockup and after
several try uninstall and reinstall doesn't lock any longer but it
doesn't load.
here are the yum info for both PC:

Dell desktop
[vinny@localhost ~]$ yum info firefox
Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
adobe-linux-i386
17/17
Installed Packages
Name : firefox
Arch : i686
Version : 3.5.8
Release : 1.fc12
Size : 17 M
Repo : installed
>From repo : updates
: standards compliance, performance and portability.

HP laptop
[vinny@laptop ~]$ yum info firefox
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Installed Packages
Name : firefox
Arch : i586
Version : 3.5.8
Release : 1.fc11
Size : 17 M
Repo : installed
>From repo : updates
: standards compliance, performance and portability.

The only difference that I can see is that Dell has the release 1.FC12
and HP has release 1.FC11, seeing that I reinstalled few times but it
all the way install the same release.
is there any thing I can do to get firefox back?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Tue, 2/23/10, vinny <vonelli@optonline.net> wrote:

> I submitted this problem before, I had one answer
> requesting the output
> of "yum info firefox" I submitted, If there was a
> subsequent answer
> maybe I missed. So here I have an HP laptop zv600 and a
> desktop Dell
> 8300. Dell works fine through out all the update, HP lockup
> and after
> several try uninstall and reinstall doesn't lock any longer
> but it
> doesn't load.
> here are the yum info for both PC:
>
> Dell desktop
> [vinny@localhost ~]$ yum info firefox
> Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
> adobe-linux-i386
> 17/17
> Installed Packages
> Name* * ***: firefox
> Arch* * ***: i686
> Version* * : 3.5.8
> Release* * : 1.fc12
> Size* * ***: 17 M
> Repo* * ***: installed
> >From repo* : updates
> Summary* * : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> URL* * * * : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> License* * : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> designed for
> * * * * ***: standards
> compliance, performance and portability.
>
> HP laptop
> [vinny@laptop ~]$ yum info firefox
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> Installed Packages
> Name* * ***: firefox
> Arch* * ***: i586
> Version* * : 3.5.8
> Release* * : 1.fc11
> Size* * ***: 17 M
> Repo* * ***: installed
> >From repo* : updates
> Summary* * : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> URL* * * * : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> License* * : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> designed for
> * * * * ***: standards
> compliance, performance and portability.
>
> The only difference that I can see is that Dell has the
> release 1.FC12
> and HP has release 1.FC11, seeing that I reinstalled few
> times but it
> all the way install the same release.
> is there any thing I can do to get firefox back?*

Are you running Fedora 12 on the Dell, and Fedora 11 on the HP? And what are the basic hardware specs on each. And did you do clean installs or upgrade installs? Are you dual/multi booting? And if so, what OSes?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Vincent Onelli

> From: Patrick Bartek <bartek047@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: firefox lockups after update
> --- On Tue, 2/23/10, vinny <vonelli@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > I submitted this problem before, I had one answer
> > requesting the output
> > of "yum info firefox" I submitted, If there was a
> > subsequent answer
> > maybe I missed. So here I have an HP laptop zv600 and a
> > desktop Dell
> > 8300. Dell works fine through out all the update, HP lockup
> > and after
> > several try uninstall and reinstall doesn't lock any longer
> > but it
> > doesn't load.
> > here are the yum info for both PC:
> >
> > Dell desktop
> > [vinny@localhost ~]$ yum info firefox
> > Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
> > adobe-linux-i386
> > 17/17
> > Installed Packages
> > Name? ? ???: firefox
> > Arch? ? ???: i686
> > Version? ? : 3.5.8
> > Release? ? : 1.fc12
> > Size? ? ???: 17 M
> > Repo? ? ???: installed
> > >From repo? : updates
> > Summary? ? : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> > URL? ? ? ? : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> > License? ? : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> > designed for
> > ? ? ? ? ???: standards
> > compliance, performance and portability.
> >
> > HP laptop
> > [vinny@laptop ~]$ yum info firefox
> > Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> > Installed Packages
> > Name? ? ???: firefox
> > Arch? ? ???: i586
> > Version? ? : 3.5.8
> > Release? ? : 1.fc11
> > Size? ? ???: 17 M
> > Repo? ? ???: installed
> > >From repo? : updates
> > Summary? ? : Mozilla Firefox Web browser
> > URL? ? ? ? : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
> > License? ? : MPLv1.1 or GPLv2+ or LGPLv2+
> > designed for
> > ? ? ? ? ???: standards
> > compliance, performance and portability.
> >
> > The only difference that I can see is that Dell has the
> > release 1.FC12
> > and HP has release 1.FC11, seeing that I reinstalled few
> > times but it
> > all the way install the same release.
> > is there any thing I can do to get firefox back??
>
> Are you running Fedora 12 on the Dell, and Fedora 11 on the HP?

> And what are the basic hardware specs on each.

> And did you do clean installs or upgrade installs?

> Are you dual/multi booting? And if so, what OSes?

Both pc running F12 at least I thought, but since you questioning it I
start to check and I found that the kernel on HP is
Fedora(2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE) I suppose that means HP is
runnung F11 I do not remember for sure, I thing that the difference is
that at Dell I made a clean installation and at HP I did upgrade,
however, both were working fine up to the update.
Dell dimension 8300 Intel Pentium 4, 2GB of memory Has 2 HD 120Gb for
windows XP and 350 GB for F12
HP zv6000 with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1.5GB of memory, use dual boot on
single HD 80GB partitioned at 40GB each with windows XP and what I
thought was f12.
I do not know how to get other hardware info, if it is needed please
give me direction on how to get them

Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Wed, 2/24/10, Vincent Onelli <vonelli@optonline.net> wrote:

> [...]
> questioning it I
> start to check and I found that the kernel on HP is
> Fedora(2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE) I suppose that
> means HP is
> runnung F11 I do not remember for sure, I thing that the
> difference is
> that at Dell I made a clean installation and at HP I did
> upgrade,
> however, both were working fine up to the update.
> Dell dimension 8300 Intel Pentium 4, 2GB of memory Has 2 HD
> 120Gb for
> windows XP and 350 GB for F12
> HP zv6000 with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 1.5GB of memory, use
> dual boot on
> single HD 80GB partitioned at 40GB each with windows XP and
> what I
> thought was f12.
> I do not know how to get other hardware info, if it is

If you're running GNOME, here's a quick way to check install versions.

Menu: System->About this Computer

Without getting into what's installed or how it was installed on which machine, try this: Disable SELinux or lower its protection. I've had it cause more problems with various Fedora versions that now I disable it. I'm not running a server, just a one user desktop, so two firewalls (router and system) and being careful has kept me uninfected since Fedora Core 3.

Anyway, see if Firefox works. If not and since it apppears that your last update "broke" firefox, do a 'yum update' on both systems, then 'yum remove firefox', and after that completes, 'yum install firefox'. This should install any firefox dependencies.

In my opinion, the easiest thing would be to do clean installs (no upgrade) of F12 on both systems from a newly downloaded, burned and checksummed DVD. Yes, it's a pain, but it will take less time than trying to find out what's currently the problem, and fixing it. Just back up your data, etc. before doing it.

FWIW, I've always had problems with upgrading between versions even following the instructions explicitly. I've always ended up with a system that is a mix of the two versions, which ultimately causes problems.

Maybe this link will help with your install and configurations. It's a very good reference. I've been using it since FC3 or 4.

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/

Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 02/24/2010 04:16 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> [...]
>
> In my opinion, the easiest thing would be to do clean installs (no upgrade) of F12 on both systems from a newly downloaded, burned and checksummed DVD. Yes, it's a pain, but it will take less time than trying to find out what's currently the problem, and fixing it. Just back up your data, etc. before doing it.
>
> FWIW, I've always had problems with upgrading between versions even following the instructions explicitly. I've always ended up with a system that is a mix of the two versions, which ultimately causes problems.
>
> Maybe this link will help with your install and configurations. It's a very good reference. I've been using it since FC3 or 4.

You can try to execute
# setenforce 0, to see if this is an SELinux issue.

If firefox works now, it was an SELinux issue.

You could try
# setsebool -P allow_execstack=1

It is probably needed, and see if fixes the issue.

Also make sure you are totally yum updated

yum -y update

Once the machine is totally updated, if it still does not work with
SELinux in enforcing mode, ping me.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Vincent Onelli

> From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: firefox lockups after update

> > If you're running GNOME, here's a quick way to check install versions.
> >
> > Menu: System->About this Computer
> >
> > Without getting into what's installed or how it was installed on which machine, try this: Disable SELinux or lower its protection. I've had it cause more problems with various Fedora versions that now I disable it. I'm not running a server, just a one user desktop, so two firewalls (router and system) and being careful has kept me uninfected since Fedora Core 3.
> >
> > Anyway, see if Firefox works. If not and since it apppears that your last update "broke" firefox, do a 'yum update' on both systems, then 'yum remove firefox', and after that completes, 'yum install firefox'. This should install any firefox dependencies.
> >
> > In my opinion, the easiest thing would be to do clean installs (no upgrade) of F12 on both systems from a newly downloaded, burned and checksummed DVD. Yes, it's a pain, but it will take less time than trying to find out what's currently the problem, and fixing it. Just back up your data, etc. before doing it.
> >
> > FWIW, I've always had problems with upgrading between versions even following the instructions explicitly. I've always ended up with a system that is a mix of the two versions, which ultimately causes problems.
> >
> > Maybe this link will help with your install and configurations. It's a very good reference. I've been using it since FC3 or 4.
> >
> > http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/

> You can try to execute
> # setenforce 0, to see if this is an SELinux issue.
>
> If firefox works now, it was an SELinux issue.
>
> You could try
> # setsebool -P allow_execstack=1
>
> It is probably needed, and see if fixes the issue.
>
> Also make sure you are totally yum updated
>
> yum -y update
>
> Once the machine is totally updated, if it still does not work with
> SELinux in enforcing mode, ping me.

I tried all suggestions, firefox is still not load it appears as if try,
the "starting firefox ..." appears at the bottom of screen for few
seconds and then disappears. So it is time to do a full installation? I
will wait while just in case there may be some new idea to try.
Thanks to all of you.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Vincent Onelli writes:

I tried all suggestions, firefox is still not load it appears as if try,
the "starting firefox ..." appears at the bottom of screen for few
seconds and then disappears. So it is time to do a full installation? I
will wait while just in case there may be some new idea to try.
Thanks to all of you.

This shouldn't be this difficult to troubleshoot.

Step 1:

touch /forefsck
shutdown -r now

This reboots Fedora. Upon reboot, all your partitions auto-fscked. This
should fix any filesystem corruption that might result in application
failures, like Firefox.

Step 2:

rpm -e firefox
yum install firefox

This removes and reinstalls Firefox, which would fix any unlikely
application corruption.

If Firefox still fails to start up:

Step 3:

mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.save

This removes -- renames actually -- the Firefox configuration directory. The
next time Firefox starts, it will create an empty, default, configuration.
If Firefox now runs, you had a problem with a corrupted/bad configuration.
You, of course, will lose all your bookmarks and extensions. If this fixes
your problem, you can later try to recover to salvage and recover whatever
your can, from your saved configuration directory.

If Firefox still fails to load, there are only two possibilities:

A. You're hitting a bone-fide bug in Firefox, for some reason.

B. Somehow, some unknown system libraries got corrupted.

You may be able to obtain some clues by running "firefox" from a terminal
window, which would dump any errors that Firefox barfs to standard output or
standard error, which you would not ordinary see when starting Firefox from
the desktop.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Sam Varshavchik writes:

Vincent Onelli writes:

I tried all suggestions, firefox is still not load it appears as if try,
the "starting firefox ..." appears at the bottom of screen for few
seconds and then disappears. So it is time to do a full installation? I
will wait while just in case there may be some new idea to try.
Thanks to all of you.

This shouldn't be this difficult to troubleshoot.

Step 1:

touch /forefsck

That should be:

touch /forcefsck

Old 02-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Patrick Bartek

Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Chris Tyler

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:50 -0500, Vincent Onelli wrote:

> I tried all suggestions, firefox is still not load it appears as if try,
> the "starting firefox ..." appears at the bottom of screen for few
> seconds and then disappears. So it is time to do a full installation? I
> will wait while just in case there may be some new idea to try.
> Thanks to all of you.

Hi Vincent,

You could try starting firefox from a terminal window to observe any
messages that appear.

-Chris