Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Default Fedora box with RHEL subscription

Has anyone ever tried adding a RHEL subscription to a Fedora 11/12 box
before?

I attempted to use rhn_register, but after giving it my RHN credentials,
which are valid, I receive a Python traceback[1] and it quits.

[1] Attached.

[Mon Feb 22 10:34:20 2010] rhn_register
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/rhn_register", line 83, in <module>
app.run()
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rhncli.py", line 66, in run
sys.exit(self.main() or 0)
File "/usr/sbin/rhn_register", line 65, in main
ui.main()
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/tui.py", line 1722, in main
tui.run()
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/tui.py", line 1609, in run
if self._show_subscription_window() == False:
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/tui.py", line 1544, in _show_subscription_window
self._activate_hardware()
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/tui.py", line 1523, in _activate_hardware
hardwareInfo, self.other['org_id'])
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rhnreg.py", line 799, in activateHardwareInfo
hardwareInfo, other)
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rhnserver.py", line 50, in __call__
return rpcServer.doCall(method, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpcServer.py", line 200, in doCall
ret = method(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 1199, in __call__
return self.__send(self.__name, args)
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpcServer.py", line 39, in _request1
ret = self._request(methodname, params)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/rhn/rpclib.py", line 318, in _request
request = self._req_body(params, methodname)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/rhn/rpclib.py", line 222, in _req_body
return xmlrpclib.dumps(params, methodname, encoding=self._encoding)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 1132, in dumps
data = m.dumps(params)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 677, in dumps
dump(v, write)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 699, in __dump
f(self, value, write)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/xmlrpclib.py", line 778, in dump_struct
raise TypeError, "dictionary key must be string"
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: dictionary key must be string

Old 02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 22 February 2010 16:54, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried adding a RHEL subscription to a Fedora 11/12 box
> before?
>
> I attempted to use rhn_register, but after giving it my RHN credentials,
> which are valid, I receive a Python traceback[1] and it quits.

Err... not since Red Hat Linux 9, have I tried this.

Why exactly are you doing this? I wasn't aware that RHN had support
for Fedora, but on checking, I did find that rhn-client is in the
Fedora Repos.

>From what I remember, this will only work against an RHN Satellite or
Spacewalk Server that actually has Channels setup for Fedora. The
centrally provided RHN probably doesn't have Fedora 11/12 channels and
that might explain the errors you experience.

--
Sam

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Sam Sharpe wrote:
> Why exactly are you doing this? I wasn't aware that RHN had support
> for Fedora, but on checking, I did find that rhn-client is in the
> Fedora Repos.

So I can use Koji to build custom RHEL packages, not so that I can
install RHEL packages.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Ryan Lynch

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 15:04, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Sam Sharpe wrote:
>> Why exactly are you doing this? I wasn't aware that RHN had support
>> for Fedora, but on checking, I did find that rhn-client is in the
>> Fedora Repos.
>
> So I can use Koji to build custom RHEL packages, not so that I can
> install RHEL packages.

I had a similar problem, a while back. I think 'mrepo' has marginal
support for pulling packages down from RHN, and I believe I got it
working on F11, but I can't quite remember. If there IS a way to do
it, though, I would bet on mrepo.

-Ryan

Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Ryan Lynch wrote:
> I had a similar problem, a while back. I think 'mrepo' has marginal
> support for pulling packages down from RHN, and I believe I got it
> working on F11, but I can't quite remember. If there IS a way to do
> it, though, I would bet on mrepo.

I tried following the rhn instructions in the mrepo package, but
gensystemid fails with a different traceback. I even installed the RHEL
5 RPMs for all of these tools without a change in the failures.

This just adds more hatred into my already quite full Python hatred basket.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Oliver Falk

On 02/22/2010 05:54 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried adding a RHEL subscription to a Fedora 11/12 box
> before?

What are you trying to achieve!?

> I attempted to use rhn_register, but after giving it my RHN credentials,
> which are valid, I receive a Python traceback[1] and it quits.

When we tried to setup spacewalk we also had issues with rhn_register
and yum on our clients. I suggest you check the spacewalk repos and
install the clients from there and retry. It fixed (almost) all of our
problems. However not with RHN, but Spacewalk.

Don't hesitate to contact me off-list in case you have further questions.

Best,
Oliver