Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Hiisi

Default How the H&*()*) do I turn auto numbering in OO Writer completely OFF ?

2010/2/22 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com>:
>> Linuxguy123 wrote:
>> > I spend way, way more time **UNFORMATTING** the stupid number formatting
>> > that OO writer applies than I would spend adding number to the
>> > paragraphs I wish to have numbered. *Isn't the purpose of software to
>> > make our lives easier ?
>
> Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> Though you may have found a way to get rid of it (and I am glad and am
>> filling this email away should I need it), I thought your prior [rant]
>> [...] [/rant] was very appropriate. I spent a few years doing typography
>> and I have always hated any program that thinks it knows how I want to
>> present content.
>
> This might be a perfect situation to remind you what WYSIWYG stands for:
>
> *"What *You *See *Is *What *You *Get"
>
> :-)
>
> If you guys are into serious typography, you might want to learn some TeX (or
> at least LaTeX). Invest a couple of days in it, then switch and forget those
> old, dark days of using {Microsoft|Star|Open}-office apps... ;-)
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

Agreed. And if you only want to type good looking documents and you
want it quickly give lyx a try. It's in fedora repo. Grate tutorial
included.
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Hiisi

2010/2/22 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 13:18 +0300, Hiisi wrote:
>> 2010/2/22 Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@gmail.com>:
<--SUPER_SNIP-->
>> > Best, :-)
>> > Marko
>> >

>> Agreed. And if you only want to type good looking documents and you
>> want it quickly give lyx a try. It's in fedora repo. Grate tutorial
>> included.
>
> Does it include a speling chequer? (Sorry, couldn't resist :-)
>
> poc

Yes it does. The one called aspell.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Hiisi

2010/2/23 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>:
> On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 21:08 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
<--SNIP-->

> One of my peeves about auto-numbering is that it's two simplistic. *I
> can't recall a word processor that will let me write up numbered
> sections on a page, and let one (or more) of those sections be more than
> one paragraph in length. *Take a legal document, for instance, such as a
> contract, you're not just numbering paragraphs (which is all /it/ wants
> to let you do), you're numbering sections. *A section could have any
> number of paragraphs. *You're left with having to do it all manually,
> including changing all the margins. *Which gets quite painful when you
> don't have a copy and paste feature for the formatting alone (copy the
> formatting, don't copy/replace the text).
>
> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I
> read messages from the public lists.

You really should give lyx a try. It has a feature called 'safe new
line' when you press Ctrl-Enter and no new number appears. And when
you've finished with one multi-paragraph item of your list you press
Return and voilą - new item will appears! In the concepts of acronyms
it's called WYSIWYM - what you see is what you *mean*.