Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Marko Vojinovic

Default How the H&*()*) do I turn auto numbering in OO Writer completely OFF ?

Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> Though you may have found a way to get rid of it (and I am glad and am
> filling this email away should I need it), I thought your prior [rant]
> [...] [/rant] was very appropriate. I spent a few years doing typography
> and I have always hated any program that thinks it knows how I want to
> present content.

This might be a perfect situation to remind you what WYSIWYG stands for:

"What You See Is What You Get"

:-)

If you guys are into serious typography, you might want to learn some TeX (or
at least LaTeX). Invest a couple of days in it, then switch and forget those
old, dark days of using {Microsoft|Star|Open}-office apps... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Paul Allen Newell

Hiisi wrote:

>> Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>>
>>> Though you may have found a way to get rid of it (and I am glad and am
>>> filling this email away should I need it), I thought your prior [rant]
>>> [...] [/rant] was very appropriate. I spent a few years doing typography
>>> and I have always hated any program that thinks it knows how I want to
>>> present content.
>>>
>> This might be a perfect situation to remind you what WYSIWYG stands for:
>>
>> "What You See Is What You Get"
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> If you guys are into serious typography, you might want to learn some TeX (or
>> at least LaTeX). Invest a couple of days in it, then switch and forget those
>> old, dark days of using {Microsoft|Star|Open}-office apps... ;-)
>>
>> Best, :-)
>> Marko
>>

> Agreed. And if you only want to type good looking documents and you
> want it quickly give lyx a try. It's in fedora repo. Grate tutorial
> included.

WYSIWYG ... sure, I'll smile on that one.

For what it is worth, back when I needed it, I would use nroff/troff and
these days use OO pretty much as a read-only tool. Tex/LaTex always
seemed the the option I should go if I needed if I had to walk that path
again. Never heard of lyx, I'll take a look.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Roberto Ragusa

Hiisi wrote:
> In the concepts of acronyms
> it's called WYSIWYM - what you see is what you *mean*.

On a tangent, I've heard web developers calling IE HTML rendering
"WYSIWTF".

:-)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it