Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Jatin K

Default change HDD without Re-installing Fedora 12 ..!!!!

On 02/21/2010 03:35 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Jatin K wrote:
>
>> Dear list
>>
>> I'm using FC 12 x86_64 on my dell vostro 1520 notebook with 160GB hdd
>> installed in it , now I want to upgrade the hdd from 160GB to 320GB
>> 7200 RPM
>>
>> is it possible to transfer fedora 12 from one hdd to another ?? I dont
>> want to re-install it as lots of software and configurations are there
>> in old one
>>
>> is there any way like ghost ( like in M$ environment ) for Linux or may
>> be something like that
>>

> If you just want more space, there are several things already mentioned which
> will work. If you want to get best performance you will have to manually build
> the new layout. If you have some application or data which is taking most of the
> space, like MP3, flash clips, pictures or movies, you will get better
> performance putting them in a filesystem tuned to the file size involved, and if
> you have a huge number of small files you might consider a filesystem other than
> ext4 default, either something else or some of the neat extended options which
> can make things faster.
>
> For "more of the same" there are a number of solutions, read the suggestions you
> have and choose.

thnx Bill

I've done it with clonezilla ...

Regards T.C.

/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Bill Davidsen

stefan riemens wrote:
> I use plain and simple dd from a livecd for this purpose.. Make sure
> you get the devices correct though! After dd has finished, you can use
> gparted to grow you partitions (or system-config-lvm in case of lvm).
> Alternatively, if you want to rearrange your partitions, you could
> create a partition table seperately, and then copy individual
> partiations over using dd. For that to work however, I suspect you
> need to make sure you only have a partition table, rather then
> complete filesystems.

You have missed the point of the more complex process I described, a dd copy
gets you no better than you had (slowly). By tuning the filesystem options to
the intended use a significant improvement in performance can be obtained.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-25-2010, 04:04 PM
gary artim

Just uses create a mirror of a system I'm running. May help?! -- gary

## Add the new disk to the system
this example assumes a /dev/sda and (new) /dev/sdb
sda has 3 partitions, 1 swap, /boot, /. / and /boot are ext3 fstype.

## create new partition on new disk

parted (you need to set the partition type as gpt)
mkpart
## (model after target disk only larger, note: change the names (labels)
## create 3 partition /, /boot, swap)

## make filesystem and copy

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb3
mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt
cd /
find . -xdev | cpio -pdumv /mnt
umount /mnt

mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
cd /boot
find . -xdev | cpio -pdumv /mnt
umount /mnt

## mbr copy

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=446 count=1

## fix grub
## boot fc11 recovery dvd
## (need newer grub for gpt partition tables)
## assumes your first partition has grub installed on it
grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)
exit

Old 02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Bill Davidsen

gary artim wrote:
> Just uses create a mirror of a system I'm running. May help?! -- gary

This certainly works, but what I was mentioning to the O.P. was that at the mkfs
step, there are options which can improve performance, particularly with ext4
and TB+ filesystems. But this is perfectly functional, and will allow for the
resize.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>