Old 02-22-2010, 03:21 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Default How the H&*()*) do I turn auto numbering in OO Writer completely OFF ?

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I think I figured out how to turn off autonumbering.
>
> First of all, the help system on OO Writer version 3.3.1 Build 9420 is
> wrong.
>
> To turn it on, it says:
>
> "OpenOffice.org can automatically apply numbering or bullets as you
> type.
>
> To Enable Automatic Numbering and Bulleting
> 1. Choose Tools - AutoCorrect Options, click the Options tab, and
> then select Apply Numbering - Symbol.
>
> 2. Choose Format - AutoCorrect, and ensure that While Typing is
> selected."
>

> To actually turn auto numbering off, go to Format -> Autocorrect ->
> Autocorrect Options.
>
> Go to the Options tab. Unselect the "Apply numbering - symbol: *"
> option.
>
> While I was in the option tab I also turned off "Replace bullets with:
> *"
>
> At this point I don't know if this setting is saved for OO Writer
> globally or if I have to do it for every document I start. But at least
> its not tripping me up on my work tonight.
>
> I hope this helps someone.

Though you may have found a way to get rid of it (and I am glad and am
filling this email away should I need it), I thought your prior [rant]
[...] [/rant] was very appropriate. I spent a few years doing typography
and I have always hated any program that thinks it knows how I want to
present content.

Paul

Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Amen to that. I think it was Brian Kernighan who said that in a WYSIWYG
> system, what you see is *all* you get.
>
> poc

Ah, now that is worth more than a smile as I did when the acronym was
first mentioned. A tip of the hat to Brian and thanks to you for posting.

Paul

Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 AM
Paul Allen Newell

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 17:53 +0100, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>
>> Hiisi wrote:
>>
>>> In the concepts of acronyms
>>> it's called WYSIWYM - what you see is what you *mean*.
>>>
>> On a tangent, I've heard web developers calling IE HTML rendering
>> "WYSIWTF".
>>
>> :-)
>>

> Nice one :-)
>
> poc

Seconded! I am certain it won't be long before I will find myself in a
position where this will be used instead of settling for WYSIWYG

Paul