Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 AM
Linuxguy123

Default How the H&*()*) do I turn auto numbering in OO Writer completely OFF ?

I think I figured out how to turn off autonumbering.

First of all, the help system on OO Writer version 3.3.1 Build 9420 is
wrong.

To turn it on, it says:

"OpenOffice.org can automatically apply numbering or bullets as you
type.

To Enable Automatic Numbering and Bulleting
1. Choose Tools - AutoCorrect Options, click the Options tab, and
then select Apply Numbering - Symbol.

2. Choose Format - AutoCorrect, and ensure that While Typing is
selected."

To actually turn auto numbering off, go to Format -> Autocorrect ->
Autocorrect Options.

Go to the Options tab. Unselect the "Apply numbering - symbol: *"
option.

While I was in the option tab I also turned off "Replace bullets with:
*"

At this point I don't know if this setting is saved for OO Writer
globally or if I have to do it for every document I start. But at least
its not tripping me up on my work tonight.

I hope this helps someone.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 13:18 +0300, Hiisi wrote:

> > Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> >> Though you may have found a way to get rid of it (and I am glad and am
> >> filling this email away should I need it), I thought your prior [rant]
> >> [...] [/rant] was very appropriate. I spent a few years doing typography
> >> and I have always hated any program that thinks it knows how I want to
> >> present content.
> >
> > This might be a perfect situation to remind you what WYSIWYG stands for:
> >
> > "What You See Is What You Get"
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > If you guys are into serious typography, you might want to learn some TeX (or
> > at least LaTeX). Invest a couple of days in it, then switch and forget those
> > old, dark days of using {Microsoft|Star|Open}-office apps... ;-)
> >
> > Best, :-)
> > Marko
> >

> Agreed. And if you only want to type good looking documents and you
> want it quickly give lyx a try. It's in fedora repo. Grate tutorial
> included.

Does it include a speling chequer? (Sorry, couldn't resist :-)

poc

Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2010-02-21 at 21:08 -0700, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> What really rips me off is that this auto numbering "stuff" has been
> going on for YEARS in a predictable cycle. Use Writer for bit, find
> numbering to be irritating. Do a web search to try to figure out how
> to turn it off. Turn off some obscure switch hidden 18 layers deep in
> the GUI. Use it for a while. Upgrade to a newer version. Watch some
> new silly auto numbering scheme appear. Do a web search for how to
> turn it off... it continues. WHEN WILL IT STOP ?

The method for turning it off hasn't changed in the years I've been
using OpenOffice, so once learnt, it's easy enough to re-do with the
then choose your preferred "Options" in the configuration window that
pops up.

Yes, I turn these things off, too. I like automatic features for things
that I can't easily do from the keyboard (like use proper punctuation,
because the keyboard doesn't have the symbols for it). But some of the
features do turn out to be really annoying.

One of my peeves about auto-numbering is that it's two simplistic. I
can't recall a word processor that will let me write up numbered
sections on a page, and let one (or more) of those sections be more than
one paragraph in length. Take a legal document, for instance, such as a
contract, you're not just numbering paragraphs (which is all /it/ wants
to let you do), you're numbering sections. A section could have any
number of paragraphs. You're left with having to do it all manually,
including changing all the margins. Which gets quite painful when you
don't have a copy and paste feature for the formatting alone (copy the
formatting, don't copy/replace the text).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 10:06 +1030, Tim wrote:
> One of my peeves about auto-numbering is that it's two simplistic.

Or even *too* simplistic :-)

> can't recall a word processor that will let me write up numbered
> sections on a page, and let one (or more) of those sections be more
> than
> one paragraph in length. Take a legal document, for instance, such as
> contract, you're not just numbering paragraphs (which is all /it/
> wants
> to let you do), you're numbering sections. A section could have any
> number of paragraphs. You're left with having to do it all manually,
> including changing all the margins. Which gets quite painful when you
> don't have a copy and paste feature for the formatting alone (copy the
> formatting, don't copy/replace the text).

Amen to that. I think it was Brian Kernighan who said that in a WYSIWYG
system, what you see is *all* you get.

poc

Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> One of my peeves about auto-numbering is that it's two simplistic.

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> Or even *too* simplistic :-)

;-)

My spelling gets worse and worse, the more I see badly written stuff on
the interwebs. It's corrupting my memory.

> I think it was Brian Kernighan who said that in a WYSIWYG system, what
> you see is *all* you get.

If you want WYSIWYG, use a typewriter. ;-)

Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 17:53 +0100, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Hiisi wrote:
> > In the concepts of acronyms
> > it's called WYSIWYM - what you see is what you *mean*.
>
> On a tangent, I've heard web developers calling IE HTML rendering
> "WYSIWTF".
>
> :-)

Nice one :-)

poc