Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Andre Robatino

Default Fedora 12 Installation Error: Installs i686 kernel on i386 arch and ...

The Fedora 12 graphical installer requires at least 384M of RAM. If you
have less, it automatically does a minimal text-based install (a small
fixed set of packages without offering options for additional ones)
which is what you got. The confusion regarding the install discs saying
i386 is common. The i386 refers to the basearch (which includes
subarches i386, i486, i586, i686). F12 requires the i686 subarch. The
Live images are labeled i686, but the Install images are labeled i386,
even though the supported hardware is exactly the same. Many people
including myself have asked for the Install images to be labeled i686 as
well in order to avoid exactly this kind of user confusion. The
developers have a general rule, however, that images should be labeled
by basearch instead of subarch (not a requirement, obviously, since the
Live images don't follow it). I believe (someone correct me if I'm
wrong?) the purpose was to avoid the extra work of changing the image
name when the subarch changes. If that's true, it doesn't apply here,
since this particular subarch will never change again (there will never
be an i786) so i686 is now and always will be the only subarch that F12
and above ever support.

In any case, even if there's some benefit to using i386 in the name
during development, it would be trivial to change it to i686 at release
time.