-   -   Fedora 12 Installation Error: Installs i686 kernel on i386 arch and ... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/329845-fedora-12-installation-error-installs-i686-kernel-i386-arch.html)

Markku Kolkka 02-21-2010 10:18 PM

Fedora 12 Installation Error: Installs i686 kernel on i386 arch and ...

ooran dayo kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai, 22.
helmikuuta 2010):
> Can you help me
> to understand why it loaded i686 instead of i386

i686 (Pentium Pro or later) is the minimum processor requirement
for 32-bit F12:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f12/en-US/html/sect-Release_Notes-Architecture_Specific_Notes.html#sect-Release_Notes-Architecture_Specific_Notes_686

> why it does not ask for additional installation media after
> disk 1?

You didn't ask for installation of any packages that are on the
other discs at the customization stage of installation:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f12/en-US/html/sn-package-selection.html

--
Markku Kolkka
markku.kolkka@iki.fi

Mikkel 02-21-2010 11:16 PM

On 02/21/2010 06:05 PM, ooran dayo wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt response. I must have been a little unclear,
> because I did not ask what the pound sign stood for. I will try to
> formulate a different question and get back to you. And I read the
> guidelines prior to posting, which mostly said check if someone else has
> had your problem. I could not find an appropriate answer there. If I
> there was an answer there, could you please point me to it? If you need
> more info, I am happy to provide that, too.

No HTML Mail, Please

Set your mailer to send only plain text messages to the list (How?
). Why? HTML is designed for web pages, not emails, and uses a lot
more bandwidth. Many list members actually block HTML because it is
used for malicious code.

Not only does HTML mail be used to run malicious scripts, but when
using handheld devices the time taken for the page to appear is also
much higher.

If You Are Replying to a Message

Make sure we can tell what you are replying to. Place each part of
your reply after the text it addresses (i.e., NO Top-Posting, please
see "Wikipedia - Top Posting" and links therein for more on this).
Most mail readers automatically put a '>' character in front of each
replied-to line. It gives a conversational flow to the text, and
people know what you're replying to. Trim irrelevant material. It
makes it easier to read your reply and helps the reader to stay on
subject. Using bottom, interleaved posting is recommened as it is
more organised.

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?