Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Patrick Bartek

Default F12: Yum/Software Update hangs

--- On Sat, 2/20/10, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:

> On 02/20/2010 08:44 PM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> > --- On Sat, 2/20/10, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >***
> >> Seems to me, that Yum/Software Update programs
> >> hangs from time to time.
> >>
> >> With Yum, a remote connection would sometimes
> hang
> >> but then timeout and retry again.* Seems this
> is not
> >> happening.
> >>
> >> For Software Update, sometimes hangs occuring
> during
> >> downloads, and other times in cleanups.* The
> spinner
> >> stays on forever and forces one to terminate the
> program
> >> via the kill command.
> >>* ***
> > I initially got the same thing with the mirror
> connection timing out, and yum switching to another
> mirror.* I installed the yum-plugin-fastestmirror
> plugin and that eliminated the stalling.
> >
> > I also have presto and refresh-packagekit plugins
> installed.

> >***
> Uh, so do I...
>
> # yum update
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
>
> The problem is still there....
>
> It's just not consistent.

Sometimes when my Internet connection is poor or slow, etc., yum has problems--timeouts, mostly--but that doesn't happen often. Try just using one mirror that is pretty much reliable all the time. See if that helps. Also, don't update during times of heavy Internet use like late afternoon to early evening when the kids are out of school and people are home from work.