FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Sawrub
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

Hi All,
Appearance Preferences > Background and selecting 'Make Default' used to
set the selected desktop background as the background image for the GDM
login screen and used to work till F11, but is not working as desired
under F12. Is there any other setting that i'm missing under F12 to do
the same.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644
http://sawrub-blog.blogspot.com/
Open your doors.......It's time to look beyond Windows

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-21-2010, 05:40 PM
inode0
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Sawrub <luckysharma11@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Appearance Preferences > Background and selecting 'Make Default' used to
> set the selected desktop background as the background image for the GDM
> login screen and used to work till F11, but is not working as desired
> under F12. Is there any other setting that i'm missing under F12 to do
> the same.

Seems to still work for me. Try putting your desired background image
in /usr/share/backgrounds someplace if you haven't maybe.

John
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Sawrub
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

On 02/22/2010 12:10 AM, inode0 wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Sawrub<luckysharma11@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> Appearance Preferences> Background and selecting 'Make Default' used to
>> set the selected desktop background as the background image for the GDM
>> login screen and used to work till F11, but is not working as desired
>> under F12. Is there any other setting that i'm missing under F12 to do
>> the same.
>>
> Seems to still work for me. Try putting your desired background image
> in /usr/share/backgrounds someplace if you haven't maybe.
>
> John
>
I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
/usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
no success.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644
http://sawrub-blog.blogspot.com/
Open your doors.......It's time to look beyond Windows

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

Am Montag, den 22.02.2010, 08:10 +0530 schrieb Sawrub:
>
> I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
> /usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
> picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
> no success.

I guess that the gdm user running gdm has no privileges to access the
location where you placed it.

Regards,
Christoph

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Jatin K
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

On 02/22/2010 03:58 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 22.02.2010, 08:10 +0530 schrieb Sawrub:
>
>>
>> I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
>> /usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
>> picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
>> no success.
>>
> I guess that the gdm user running gdm has no privileges to access the
> location where you placed it.
>
> Regards,
> Christoph
>
>
change the picture in following directory .... which is suite to your
desktop size

/usr/share/backgrounds/constantine/default


I've done it ...it works for me



--
v
/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Tim
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

John:
>> Seems to still work for me. Try putting your desired background image
>> in /usr/share/backgrounds someplace if you haven't maybe.

Sawrub:
> I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
> /usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
> picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
> no success.

Looking through this thread, it seems that people might be forgetting a
few things:

GDM runs as a special user, therefore it can't read YOUR files, by
default. If your homespace hasn't got world-readable permissions on
directories and the image file you want it to use, it can't read it. It
may also need word-executable directories, and certain SELinux contexts.

If you put the image file somewhere else (than your homespace), the same
things apply. It'd be no good putting a file that only your username
can read into /usr/share/backgrounds/.

Look at the files that GDM uses by default, put yours in a similar
location, and give yours the same permissions and SELinux contexts.

I haven't done any customising with Fedora 12 yet, but that technique
has worked with prior releases.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Sawrub
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

On 02/23/2010 05:07 AM, Tim wrote:
> John:
>
>>> Seems to still work for me. Try putting your desired background image
>>> in /usr/share/backgrounds someplace if you haven't maybe.
>>>
>
> Sawrub:
>
>> I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
>> /usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
>> picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
>> no success.
>>
> Looking through this thread, it seems that people might be forgetting a
> few things:
>
> GDM runs as a special user, therefore it can't read YOUR files, by
> default. If your homespace hasn't got world-readable permissions on
> directories and the image file you want it to use, it can't read it. It
> may also need word-executable directories, and certain SELinux contexts.
>
> If you put the image file somewhere else (than your homespace), the same
> things apply. It'd be no good putting a file that only your username
> can read into /usr/share/backgrounds/.
>
> Look at the files that GDM uses by default, put yours in a similar
> location, and give yours the same permissions and SELinux contexts.
>
> I haven't done any customising with Fedora 12 yet, but that technique
> has worked with prior releases.
>
>
Thats seems something toughtfull, all above were kind of hacks, but i do
appriciate their help too. Going by this it seems that the "Set Default"
button does the same with the image that we desire to put there but
since its not working it seems like a config issue as its working for
other people. I too was happy with it under F11 [i386], the fresh
install of F12[x86_64] broke it atleast for me.

Would be better to play around with configuration of "Appearance
Preferences > Background". Can some one tell me, what package to play
around with for it.Googling does not help much.Can something be done
here using Gconf configuration editor.

--

Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644
http://sawrub-blog.blogspot.com/
Open your doors.......It's time to look beyond Windows

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Sawrub
 
Default Setting GDM Login Screen Background

On 02/24/2010 08:32 AM, Sawrub wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 05:07 AM, Tim wrote:
>> John:
>>>> Seems to still work for me. Try putting your desired background image
>>>> in /usr/share/backgrounds someplace if you haven't maybe.
>>
>> Sawrub:
>>> I tried putting a symbolic link under the directory
>>> /usr/share/backgrounds/ pointing to the directory that hosts my desired
>>> picture. Added the same as desktop background and made it default, but
>>> no success.
>> Looking through this thread, it seems that people might be forgetting a
>> few things:
>>
>> GDM runs as a special user, therefore it can't read YOUR files, by
>> default. If your homespace hasn't got world-readable permissions on
>> directories and the image file you want it to use, it can't read it. It
>> may also need word-executable directories, and certain SELinux contexts.
>>
>> If you put the image file somewhere else (than your homespace), the same
>> things apply. It'd be no good putting a file that only your username
>> can read into /usr/share/backgrounds/.
>>
>> Look at the files that GDM uses by default, put yours in a similar
>> location, and give yours the same permissions and SELinux contexts.
>>
>> I haven't done any customising with Fedora 12 yet, but that technique
>> has worked with prior releases.
>>
> Thats seems something toughtfull, all above were kind of hacks, but i
> do appriciate their help too. Going by this it seems that the "Set
> Default" button does the same with the image that we desire to put
> there but since its not working it seems like a config issue as its
> working for other people. I too was happy with it under F11 [i386],
> the fresh install of F12[x86_64] broke it atleast for me.
>
> Would be better to play around with configuration of "Appearance
> Preferences > Background". Can some one tell me, what package to play
> around with for it.Googling does not help much.Can something be done
> here using Gconf configuration editor.
>
One thing that i noticed today. Setting a background as DEFAULT sets it
there for the time when the desktop [session] is locked. But it is not
capable of retaining/overriding the settings that are being done to set
the GDM background at boot time. Since i tried setting a new desktop as
DEFAULT and locking the desktop, the GDM window for resuming the session
had the new picture every time i tried with a new picture.
So its just the BOOT time that i can't override the settings. Any help
on overriding these.

--
Saurabh Sharma
Linux user number: 490644
http://sawrub-blog.blogspot.com/
Open your doors.......It's time to look beyond Windows

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org